What should I do?

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
I know that I have more rifles than I need but I like to load ammo for all of them for deer season and take different rifles based on different hunting situations. I have decided that for my 30-06 that I am gong to load the 165 gr Ballistic tips. Last year i loaded the 165 gr btips with 53 gr of IMR 4350 and that load produced a velocity of 2573. This was a very accurate sub moa group and the energy would be 2426 ft/lbs.

I have worked up a load with the same bullet but using 58.3 gr of IMR 4451 that produced 2925 velocity and still sub moa. The energy for this load would be 3135 ft/lbs.

Here is my question; I still have 17 rounds of the load from last year still loaded and waiting in the ammo safe. Should I use the ones I have loaded up knowing that it is still stout enough for deer or load up the new hot load that I have worked up knowing that I am going to get maximum performance out of the 06?

Welcome to the forum, you are faced with no bad choice. If significant temperature varitaon is not a concern the IMR 4350 would be a proven load. If you are hunting with a much lower temperature when you are hunting the 4451 might be a more stable powder. If you are not shooting at long range any velocity variation due to temperature drop may be insignificant. In any case, load enough rounds of both loads to test variations in performance of both loads over changes in temperature.

A quick google search "Powder stability" or some similar search will put you onto areas full of data which will guide you. You can run your own tests to compare with your current data and draw conclusions. Have fun, be safe, and good luck. Rol

Rol is right. You have two good choices.

I’d just shoot off the 4350 rounds as practice rounds from different positions. Standing off hand, kneeling, maybe sitting. You’ll be through them in no time and more confident in the fall.

Most weeks, I’ll shoot 30-100 rounds on the rifle. I do have a couple favorite rounds for the 3006 that I normally keep on hand. A 150 Hornady RN loaded at fast 3030 speeds(2500). (This on shoots clover leafs at 100yds), 165 CTBT for white tail, and a heavy 220gn Sierra pro hunter over RL26 at 2692fps (bear). Unfortunately, it’s normally my back up gun as I love old school rounds, and Magnums, and levers....

I think Dr Mike has wisely commented members of the forum are very open minded about encouraging others, to get really fine gear that we all appreciate.

What else are you loading besides 3006?

KY is beautiful country for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Dr Mikes quote is closer to, be careful, we’re really good at spending your money..

mjcmichigan":tk12e3rr said:
I think Dr Mikes quote is closer to, be careful, we’re really good at spending your money..

Man, that’s a fact!

Two consideration between your two loads at such different velocities is going to be:

1) the place where you hunt and the average distance of the shots presented there; do you need the higher velocity to reach out further and flatter?

and

2) the difference the velocity impact is going to have on your deer; the higher velocity is going to leave more bloodshot meat. How important is eating up tp the bullet hole to you?

MJ I am also loading for 243, 7-08, 270 and 7 mag. KY is a beautiful place. ram I process my deer myself. My brother and I care so much about the meat that we spent the time and money to build a walk in cooler last year to hang and age our deer meat. Deer meat is pretty much all we eat in my house. Heck my wife would rather eat a deer steak than a beef steak!

Blkram":2k5yky3k said:
Two consideration between your two loads at such different velocities is going to be:

1) the place where you hunt and the average distance of the shots presented there; do you need the higher velocity to reach out further and flatter?

and

2) the difference the velocity impact is going to have on your deer; the higher velocity is going to leave more bloodshot meat. How important is eating up tp the bullet hole to you?

Exactly - I shoot a 165 grain, 2900+ fps load from my 30-06 because I usually hunt fairly open country and often take shots at 200 - 400 yards. A flat trajectory helps with that.

If I knew I'd be hunting at shorter ranges, I'd have no real desire for the high velocity cartridge. And yes, those zippy loads do cause a lot of bloodshot meat.

Guy

If I hunt with my 30-06 it’s with a Hornady 165 flat base and 45grs H4895 for 2500fps. I’ve killed deer with 180’s at. 2737fps, 130 ttsx at 3200fps and a few other from the -06. Other than more recoil they do nothing that the 2500fps load doesn’t do.

Back