Box store rifle

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
The Savage 11 7mm-08 while not a real tack driver will put several different bullets near or under an inch at 100 yards which is about as good as I can do anyway. Light weight and easy to pack. Only mod was different rings added and still the Nikon 3-9 that came on the rifle.
While the first try with the 140 grain Ballistic Tips was a bit over an inch I wouldn’t hesitate to pack this after Blacktails in the woods this Fall if I can get them moved a bit to the right.
765d86bf782e9d4c50260f66e4ae9a47.jpg

1010faa08ae8eda9b2972c2bafab64d8.jpg

ece63bc37084ed009427f4d0908ef040.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothin' wrong with that! Have fun! Like an idiot, I sold a stevens Model 200 in 7mm-08. Sucker kicked like a mule (I thought at the time- and I wanted a "loaner" rifle that was easy to find ammo off the shelf for...so I sold it) Dang thing put three in an inch with cheap Winchester 140's. Cheap dosent mean it wont shoot. Especially a Savage.... my limited experience CL

Looks nice and once you move it over a bit to the right as you said you'll be good to go to at least 200 yards with both loads without changing a thing. It's nice when a rifle will shoot different loads hit in the same spot on a target like that. Savage makes accurate guns that's for sure.

That's looking good. Try some Big Game. Others here gave me some info and this powder groups very well in my 7mm08. Dan.

Nothing wrong with Savage!
Just got a Storm in 6,5 Creedmoor this year and it shoots!
The groups open up with the straw-sized barrel after 3 shots, but it is purely for hunting, so it does not matter.
I like the Accustock and that spacers for length and cheek rest are included at that price.
Fits perfectly. The 3 shots on the right are the first, number 5 was even more to the left opening the group to 0.8 moa.

But the first 3 stay consistently close.
(Lehigh controlled chaos).
Have to work on the 140 custom competition a bit, but they stay under moa, too.
Just in case I want to punsh some paper.

Got me a small electronic pump to speed up cooling.
0883791c3c2c697b343eaf42c02dc5c7.jpg
a54f497911e46050c4160c9e94878894.jpg

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI VNS-L31 mit Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with that. We are fortunate to live in a time with the rifles and components we have available to us. You can lay down sub $1k and get a rifle scope that is more than capable of being an accurate hunting rifle, out to reasonable distances. My son in law has the Savage High Country in 6.5 PRC and with the 142 ABLR and IMR 7977 it easily shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yards.

Bought the exact same rifle for my nephew in 7mm rem mag. He is moving to Cheyenne with his mom (my sister) in December from Athens Greece.! Changed the rings of course but other than that stock with the Nikon Scope.

hunter24605":3gmg1dum said:
Nothing wrong with that. We are fortunate to live in a time with the rifles and components we have available to us. You can lay down sub $1k and get a rifle scope that is more than capable of being an accurate hunting rifle, out to reasonable distances. My son in law has the Savage High Country in 6.5 PRC and with the 142 ABLR and IMR 7977 it easily shoots 1/2" groups at 200 yards.
I couldn't agree with this more. With the technological advancements that have been made in machining operations it makes "budget" rifles as accurate if not more so than the very expensive rifles of the 80's-90's. The accuracy of some of todays lower cost rifles would have been in excess of $1k just 20 years ago. Today we can buy a budget rifle, upgrade the stock if wanted and have a beautiful and unique rifle that most anyone would be proud of or even brag about. I'm not surprised in the slightest at the performance you're getting from a box store rifle. Enjoy it, and I wish you many game filled days afield with it.

That'll do just about anything you need it to do! The Ruger American that I bought for my grandson, 7-08, is a real shooter! It carries a Meopta scope! The pic is from last Saturday! 150 gr NBT, 46.5 grs of Big Game powder, and WLRP, which is safe in my rifle! Not responsible for "your" use of the above data..

thumbnail.jpeg

Back