"Pulling" The Trigger on a .30-06

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I'm going to purchase a .30-06, and put my prejudices aside, and actually try out the old girl, and give it an honest chance. I have $400 - $500 to spend.
My quandary is this, I have an opportunity to buy a brand new S&W i-Bolt in .30-06. I've done my homework, and this was the predecessor to the TV Venture. It was made by Thompson Center, and S&W stamped their logo on it.
Next up, I have spied an old Remington Sportsman 78 in .30-06 for a very good price.
Then there is the TC Venture .30-06 that I can buy for a decent price as well.
I am open to suggestions as well.
I trust all of you and will use your opinions, and experience to make a choice.
All suggestions are welcomed.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

remingtonman_25_06":2vu759h7 said:
I'd look for an older 700 BDL if it was me. Could probably have one for $450-500
True, I will look harder

Hawk

1100 Remington Man":33cs0ckr said:
Not only look for a use Remington 700 take a look at Winchester M70 or Ruger 77.
I saw a several Winchester M70's, the last ones that came out of the New Haven plant, black synthetic stocked, 24 inch barrel, and some Ruger Hawkeye's, one in Stainless for $400.

I've seen a couple of Interarms Mk X's that are decent price. Any thoughts on that?

Hawk

Well, what kind of rifle do you prefer? Are you hooked on Winchester? Remington? Ruger?

Do you want wood & blued steel or are you a synthetic stock & stainless kind of guy?

Pretty much every gunmaker has produced good 30-06 rifles. I drift towards Remington 700's and Ruger Number One rifles, but I like Winchester Model 70's and bolt action Rugers too.

BTW, I have to mention the Ruger American. Introduced as a modern design, bargain priced rifle... I've shot three different Americans now and DANG! Every one of them was a no-fuss shooter.

For a utilitarian rifle that will flat out shoot just peachy, I'd grab a Ruger American in 30-06, put a decent scope on it and happily hunt anything in North America.

That said, I do really like my Rem 700 CDL:
c5CF7V6l.jpg

That's the pronghorn, deer, bear, elk, wolf & grizzly rifle. :grin: If I get to point it at a moose or caribou someday, that would be great too.

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":237xpax0 said:
Well, what kind of rifle do you prefer? Are you hooked on Winchester? Remington? Ruger?

Do you want wood & blued steel or are you a synthetic stock & stainless kind of guy?

Pretty much every gunmaker has produced good 30-06 rifles. I drift towards Remington 700's and Ruger Number One rifles, but I like Winchester Model 70's and bolt action Rugers too.

BTW, I have to mention the Ruger American. Introduced as a modern design, bargain priced rifle... I've shot three different Americans now and DANG! Every one of them was a no-fuss shooter.

For a utilitarian rifle that will flat out shoot just peachy, I'd grab a Ruger American in 30-06, put a decent scope on it and happily hunt anything in North America.

That said, I do really like my Rem 700 CDL:
c5CF7V6l.jpg

That's the pronghorn, deer, bear, elk, wolf & grizzly rifle. :grin: If I get to point it at a moose or caribou someday, that would be great too.

Regards, Guy
I'm a bolt action kinda guy.
I love wood & blued steel! But won't pass on a synthetic stock either.
I do like Remington and Winchester.
You have an awesome Remington Guy!
That's a gorgeous rifle.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":kbc4dv7t said:
1100 Remington Man":kbc4dv7t said:
Not only look for a use Remington 700 take a look at Winchester M70 or Ruger 77.
I saw a several Winchester M70's, the last ones that came out of the New Haven plant, black synthetic stocked, 24 inch barrel, and some Ruger Hawkeye's, one in Stainless for $400.

If those Winchesters you looked at had XTR stamped on the barrel there is a very good chance the stock id a McMillan. I have one in .270 Win. that had a black synthetic stock in the shape of the M70 Featherweights. Well, the price was right with a decent scope and the guy said it was accurate so I took a chance and it came home with me. I picked up a couple boxes of Wallyworlrd 150 Winchester factory ammo and went to the range. Not only was the rifle sighted but I ran four 5 shot groups at 100 yards and the largest was .80". Barrel was 24" BTW.
I tested the rifle later on with my pet load with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King and further testing using the same load with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions shot close enough to the GK loads that no alteration of the sight setting was necessary.
I used my with the Sierra GK on an antelope hunt back in 2009 and it worked perfectly. You just might want to take another look at those Winchesters.
Paul B.

PJGunner":hlbe8hth said:
HAWKEYESATX":hlbe8hth said:
1100 Remington Man":hlbe8hth said:

If those Winchesters you looked at had XTR stamped on the barrel there is a very good chance the stock id a McMillan. I have one in .270 Win. that had a black synthetic stock in the shape of the M70 Featherweights. Well, the price was right with a decent scope and the guy said it was accurate so I took a chance and it came home with me. I picked up a couple boxes of Wallyworlrd 150 Winchester factory ammo and went to the range. Not only was the rifle sighted but I ran four 5 shot groups at 100 yards and the largest was .80". Barrel was 24" BTW.
I tested the rifle later on with my pet load with the 150 gr. Sierra Game King and further testing using the same load with 150 gr. Nosler Partitions shot close enough to the GK loads that no alteration of the sight setting was necessary.
I used my with the Sierra GK on an antelope hunt back in 2009 and it worked perfectly. You just might want to take another look at those Winchesters.
Paul B.
If I remember correctly, these were called the "Black Shadow" or "Shadow" series.

That's awesome accuracy out of yours!

Hawk

The Remington Sportsman 78 is the same barreled action as a 700 ADL but is not finished as well. The stock is just a plain maple if my memory serves me. I bought one when they first came out in 30-06. With the stock that comes on it it kicked like a mule. I picked up a composite stock used at a good price and the first time I shot it I thought I had a squib load it took so much felt recoil out of it. That rifle actually shot really good, well under MOA with 51.2 grs IMR 4064 with 150 gr Nos. BT or Sierra PH or GK and I killed a bunch of deer with it. I eventually used the action to build a 25-06 that I still have. I still have the 30-06 barrel that was taken off. If I just had to have ONE rifle it would be a 30-06.

I have found a Winchester XPR in .30-06.
Anyone have any experience with them?

Hawk

I just won an auction on Gun Broker!
Got a beautiful Remington 700 BDL .30-06!

Got it for $530!

WOO HOO!

Hawk
b43e3e6462e0c7660a9ee0ae1ca8461e.jpg

BTW - you may want to check out this 2001 book from J.Y. Jones. He took every big game species in North America (I think) over many years, with his Remington 700 ADL 30-06. Almost all with the 165 grain Nosler Partition, and a few of the real big critters were taken with the 200 grain Nosler Partition.

FAeM6Dfl.jpg

Regards, Guy

Guy Miner":3648m3j1 said:
Nice! I hope she's a shooter! Most of them are. (y)
Thank you Guy! I really appreciate it.
Yeah, I'm hoping she's a shooter as well.
If somebody just put it up for sale recently, it was in someone's collection for a long time, and I'm hoping that means she was an above average shooter.

Hawk

Guy Miner":10rb3cxe said:
BTW - you may want to check out this 2001 book from J.Y. Jones. He took every big game species in North America (I think) over many years, with his Remington 700 ADL 30-06. Almost all with the 165 grain Nosler Partition, and a few of the real big critters were taken with the 200 grain Nosler Partition.

FAeM6Dfl.jpg

Regards, Guy
Oh I will most definitely see if I can get that book!
I love to read about hunting adventures.
If he liked the 165 gr Partitions, I'm sure he would love the 165 gr Accu Bonds.
Thanks for giving me the heads up on that book!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":2ojs5ubt said:

Got it for $530!

WOO HOO!

Hawk

Very nice. Can't imagine you'll be anything other than pleased with that rifle. You did well.

DrMike":9ahzm4f4 said:
HAWKEYESATX":9ahzm4f4 said:

Got it for $530!

WOO HOO!

Hawk

Very nice. Can't imagine you'll be anything other than pleased with that rifle. You did well.
Thank you very much DrMike.
I get a good one now and then.

Hawk

Congrats on the rifle! You can work the trigger down to 2# easily yourself on the older Remington triggers. I've done a few over the years, always turned out great and saved buying a $100 Timney. Put a good piece of glass in a nice set of base/rings and I'll almost guaruntee it shoots 1/2 MOA pretty easily with some good handloads. Every older ADL/BDL I've ever had or done for others, were all great shooters.

Back