Hodgdon BLC-2 for 223 and 22-250

bmoore

Beginner
Aug 24, 2020
Anyone use this powder in those cartridges? I was doing an order today and wanted to get a few pounds to make the Hazmat worth it. I like trying different powders so I picked this up, never used it before. I was thinking of trying it in 223 and 22-250.

Have happily used it in the 308 Win with 168's (match winning loads!) and also in my 30-30 with 170 gr bullets. Also used it in the 204 Ruger with excellent results re velocity and accuracy.

Never tried it in the 223 or 22-250. If the load data looks good, might be worth a try. It meters well through a powder measure.

Guy

I have used it in 5.56 with the 75 hornady BTHP. It got a little spikey in warm weather at maximum so I backed it off a fuzz and it was fine. Accuracy was good.

Used it in 223 with 69/77 matchkings and it worked great up to about 85* then started temp spikes
Replaced with varget for temp stability and happy

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Used it in 223 with the 77 gr TMK and Hornady 68 BTHP with excellent results. It did seem to respond better to a Mag primer than a standard primer..Meters well, accurate and plenty zippy..It was one of the first I tried with the 53 V-Max, but ended up going with Benchmark. Never tried it in 22-250, RL-15 was my favorite in it.

I used it with 52 BTHPs in the ,22-250 for years. In moderate temps it was great. Accuracy went south with temp swings. Never any pressure issues for me as it was only the scond caliber I reloaded. I stopped in my load development when I hit the first accuracy node somewhwhere between start approaching the midrange load. No where near maximum load.

Didn’t matter, shot lots of woodchucks, many over 400 yards, a few over 500.

I stayed with that load until I was having sudden accuracy issues. Turns out the sudden change was the wooden forend took a hard warp after 20 years. Replaced it with a factory takeoff fiberglas but switched to later powders.

I loaded up a 100 rounds of 223 with some BLC2 and 40g varmageddon for a buddy's AR this spring, who then never picked them up. So I tried them out of my Ruger Target heavy barrel and they shoot 1/2"-3/4" at 200 yards. Didnt even do load development, just went 1g under max and loaded them up. Lucky me :)

remingtonman_25_06":cvz7p7kq said:
I loaded up a 100 rounds of 223 with some BLC2 and 40g varmageddon for a buddy's AR this spring, who then never picked them up. So I tried them out of my Ruger Target heavy barrel and they shoot 1/2"-3/4" at 200 yards. Didnt even do load development, just went 1g under max and loaded them up. Lucky me :)

hahahah, very nice!

I used it in 223 and 308. 70gr Speer in the 223 shot really well. The 308 load was a 150gr fmj plinking load for my AR 10. Both loads were/are very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back