Ever found an odd-ball bullet?

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
opened a new box of 53 grain V-Max bullets to load and a bullet with a cannelure caught my attention. I weighed it and it weighs 50 grains not 53...If not for the cannelure, I'd probably have loaded it and never noticed. I don't think a -3 grain difference would have been dangerous, but makes me wonder if I've ever missed an odd-ball bullet. Must be for production ammo, I can't recall seeing a v-max with a cannelure, and as far as I know the v-max is the only 50 grain Hornady makes with a plastic tip.

Attachments

• V Max.jpg
    V Max.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 583
Had some turned brass bullets where the tip was missing. Gut off 0.1 inches too short.
Ok - you notice that easily. I did after loading it..
Used it at the range and it wasn't too far off.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Nosler has a 50 grn BT red, no cannelure
I bet you are right, its from a production round

A few years back I bought two boxes of Hornady 250 gr. round nose bullets to try in my then new Ruger 77RS .35 Whelen. Imagine my shock when the bullets from each box were totally different in nose form. If I seated bullets from box #1m the bullets from box #2 would be seated much deeper than the ones from the first box. The weird thing was both boxes has the same lot number. I ended up using one box for te Whelen and the other for my .358 Win.
Paul B.

It has been a long time ago but I bought a 500 box of Speer HBWC .358 bullets for target shooting in a 38 Special. I found a 32 cal. HBWC in the box. It had to be a special run because Speer did not offer a 32 cal. HBWC for sale.

I recently found a Nosler AB, from the sealed box, with no tip, just a small hole.

Hornady does make a 55 v-max with a cannelure and a 55 sp with a cannelure, but a 50 gr bullet is neither of those so yeah makes you wonder how it got in there.

ShadeTree":20jrwpki said:
Hornady does make a 55 v-max with a cannelure and a 55 sp with a cannelure, but a 50 gr bullet is neither of those so yeah makes you wonder how it got in there.
I think it’s from some bullets destined for retail ammo. A while back I took down some superformanxe 308 interbond ammo and those interbonds had a cannelure, but the component bullets do not. Purely a WAG, but maybe they did a run of 50 v-max bullets with a cannelure to be used in factory ammo and one got left behind and mixed in when they did a run of 53 v-max
53d3fe767a681fd38e4419c62a2d8a8a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was loading some 223s a while back with Nosler 55gr. BT and had trouble seating one. Upon inspection I found it to be a 55 gr. 6mm BT.

Elkman":335dfots said:
I recently found a Nosler AB, from the sealed box, with no tip, just a small hole.

Love to get them to send me a bag of plastic tips for "research purposes".

With the way manufacture is running full bore there are going to be quality control issues. I teach the TN handgun carry permit course through our hunting and fishing club. We use Ruger 22 target pistols to actually teach people how to shoot correctly. Each student is to bring their own ammo but we provide the pistols to use. There has been some crappy 22 ammo that has been showing up. Remington and Winchester have been the worst. We had a Winchester round blow up blowing the back off the case leaving the rest stuck in the chamber and it broke the extractor. It had to have two or more dollops of priming compound to create that much pressure. Most to the problems with Winchester was fail to fire no matter how you turned the case and tried it again it would not fire. Remington was also fail to fire and even from different lots of the golden bullets were just a tad too large in diameter and would not chamber well or at all.

Back