Reduced recoil 7-08 loads

Jimbeaux82

Handloader
Jan 6, 2011
Does any of our esteemed posters have a good reduced recoil load for the 7-08, say using a 120 gr bullet at around 2400 fps? I am trying to find some data to work one up for a youth rifle.

Tia

Jimbeaux

Same situation here, I just ordered 120 grain Sierra Pro Hunter bullets from Powder Valley for grandson. Looks like BenchMark may be a light charge according to Sierra #5 manual.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Back when my daughter first started with her 7-08, I looked into this and Hodgdon recommended H4895 for this purpose, and used to have a downloadable PDF for H4895 reduced loads. It wasn't on the "load data" page, but the main home page. I can't recall exactly, but I think it was a 60% rule for reduced loads. Might look at Hodgdon site or reach out to them.

Found it:
https://imrpowder.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Jim,
I concur with the suggestion to use Hodgdon reduced loads. I would also add to use both ear plugs and muffs to ensure that the young shooter doesn't have to worry about muzzle blast.

JD338

Looks like I need some H4895, hope it is available. Thank you gentlemen.

Yep, H4895, fur sure. AND make sure the rifle has a nice absorbing recoil pad, not just a POS plastic butt plate.

Yeh I bought him the Savage Lightweight Storm with adjustable LOP and a decent recoil pad. Sweet little rifle for the price.

Electron":laz5kwbz said:
Yeh I bought him the Savage Lightweight Storm with adjustable LOP and a decent recoil pad. Sweet little rifle for the price.

Not the Storm, but I have a Savage High Country that has the adjustable LOP and check risers, its a really nice system..

They stick out like a bandaged thumb, but my BIL got a clamp-on muzzle brake for my nephew from Whit Machine for his 308 that took about all the recoil and rise out of it, and made it a joy to shoot. But its obnoxiously loud.

Got the storm in 6,5 Creedmoor.
Love that gun.
Sorry - no help with reduced loads in 7-08...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Not speaking from experience but H4895 would be the first place I'd look as well. Running some numbers based off Hodgdon's data, I'd say around 31-32 gr's would put you in the 2400 range if that's what you're looking for.

35 gr's should get you closer to 2600. Both will kick less than most 243 loads.

I use Blue Dot for a reduce in my 7-08 Savage Striker. Running 140gr VLDs @ 2000 fps. Blue Dot requires a lot of attention so no double charge.

Thanks to those who posted. The 60% rule with H4895 should get me where I want to be. I assume that would work just as well with IMR 4895.

Jimbeaux

Jimbeaux82":2cbqo01r said:
Thanks to those who posted. The 60% rule with H4895 should get me where I want to be. I assume that would work just as well with IMR 4895.

Jimbeaux

Jim, I wouldn't assume anything with gunpowder, give Hodgdon's a call, their number is list at the bottom of that page.

AFG270":3dbcodir said:
Jimbeaux82":3dbcodir said:

Jimbeaux

Jim, I wouldn't assume anything with gunpowder, give Hodgdon's a call, their number is list at the bottom of that page.

Yes!

We often forget anymore that a phone call is still a great way to communicate. Please, call them and ask for their suggestions.

Guy

Only use “H” 4895 unless Hodgdon tells you different.

I ve found with numerous cartridges that right at 70% of max charge of H4895 provides significant recoil reduction AND very good accuracy. ( better than 60% load in my experience)

Good Luck!

I used 40gr H4895 and a 120 gr nosler ballistic tip in my wife's 7-08. She loves shooting it. My son also shot it and thought it was pretty cool.

in Denise's 7mm-08 I'm loading 39.0 grains H4895 , cci200 primer , rem brass , 120 grain nosler ballistic tip . it shoots under an inch at 100 yards , with a velocity of 2716 FPS . using quickload , the recoil matches a max load 243 , shooting 100 grain bullets .

I've done a fair amount of reduced loads . I use quickload to pick a powder charge by velocity , or recoil . I've never worked with powder charge looking for accuracy on a reduced load . I've been able to get these reduced loads to shoot at an inch or less by working seating depth .

I just talked to Hodgdon and yes I can substitute IMR 4895 with this same formula. I was quite confident that I could since burn rate is almost identical but as several posters commented you can never be too careful with powder. I am looking for 2400-2500 fps with a 120 gr bullet. I will begin working up today and will post the results as this may help someone else. I am using a H&R Handi-rifle.

Jimbeaux

Jimbeaux I would like to hear how this project goes for you, as I will be doing an identical load development for my grandsons Savage storm. My loading room is not yet set up after a retirement move but when the time comes I'm sure your experience will be helpful.

Back