Esteemed Members, Please Relay Your Experiences with 7mm Mau

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Happy New Year to one and all!

I would like to hear from the members on here about their experiences with the grand ol' 7mm Mauser.
Shooting experiences, hunting experiences, etc...
I would greatly appreciate the imparted knowledge.
Thank you all in advance.

Hawk

Sent from my REVVLRY+ using Tapatalk

I don't have any experience with the 7x57 but I do remember seeing a picture from many years back of a grizzly my uncle shot on his farm with one! I'm almost certain it would have been a 175 gr RN bullet from the old Canadian company Dominion that eventually was renamed Imperial. If the grizzlies invade your state you'll be well armed with a good 175 ;)

gerry":39kvlyj2 said:
I don't have any experience with the 7x57 but I do remember seeing a picture from many years back of a grizzly my uncle shot on his farm with one! I'm almost certain it would have been a 175 gr RN bullet from the old Canadian company Dominion that eventually was renamed Imperial. If the grizzlies invade your state you'll be well armed with a good 175 ;)
That's a good account! Glad I don't live anywhere where any grizz come waltzing into my backyard.
Plus, I'm not going to live anywhere where a grizz could walk into my backyard, hopefully.
But if I do, I will remember what you said, Gerry.

Hawk

I got my Ruger tang safety 7X57 probably around 1974-75. This rifle took several deer [5-6] a few antelope and 2 elk all with the Hornady 154 grain bullet and IMR 4350 powder. It is a fine hunting rifle. It's not a real accurate rifle which I think was typical of lots of those "tangers".
Regards

Keith1369":235n2qy6 said:
I got my Ruger tang safety 7X57 probably around 1974-75. This rifle took several deer [5-6] a few antelope and 2 elk all with the Hornady 154 grain bullet and IMR 4350 powder. It is a fine hunting rifle. It's not a real accurate rifle which I think was typical of lots of those "tangers".
Regards
When it came to the ol' tang safety M77's, you're definitely right. Not pinpoint accuracy, but they were really good hunting guns.
One of the apprentices that worked at Elbe Arms in Cheyenne, Wyoming many, many years ago, had a Ruger M77 tanger, and loved it. He really hotrodded the ol' 7mm Mauser round too. He also loved the 154gr Hornady Interlock BT bullets.
From what I understand, the 150gr bullets are like the 180gr .30-06 bullets. The all around bullet weight for their cartridge.

Hawk

I have my second 7X57, having traded off the first. It seems to be a cartridge that is easy to load. I did a workup for a man over on the west coast of BC. He wanted a 160 gr PT and the load delivered ~0.5 MOA consistently. I offered to buy his old beat-up rifle or purchase him a new one, but he had no interest in trading. He had taken a moose each year for over fourteen years.

A very nice moderately powered cartridge, with light recoil. More than adequate for deer and wanting on elk, especially on elk moving away, at an angle. It will most likely kill anything on the planet,while it is standing still and offering a perfect shot as Bell proved many, many years ago.

I sure like mine, didn’t seem to like RL 19 but with no effort at all I’m under1moa using 4350. Haven’t shot anything yet but I’m carrying it when I walk the dogs. Lions and wolves have been seen in the area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its possible I you might have read this already, and if so, I apologize for repeating myself.

My father had a good friend Ron who was a rifle looney like the rest of us. He owned a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57. He sold the gun to another mutual friend who never used the gun much, maybe never fired it. Well, the original owner of the gun had passed away since then and my Dad, wound up purchasing the same gun from the mutual friend. As it turned out, my Dad gave me this gun as a surprise and it was and is still the greatest gift. There was almost 50 rounds loaded with a 154gr Hornady Interlock / 4350. I killed 2 deer with that load and it performed but it wasn't anything fantastic. It was more of a way to honor Ron, who had loaded for the gun when he owned it.

I wasn't loading at the time so my dad and I developed a load using H4350 and the 140gr Sierra Gameking. I killed a few more deer with this load and i was more please with terminal damage, etc.
The next year I started loading myself and I developed a load using Varget and the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I was immediately impressed with the durablitly of this bullet, the entrance / exit wounds, and overall performance of this bullet. It has become a staple for this rifle.
Staying with the 120gr trend, I worked up a good load using Reloader 15 and the 120gr Sierra ProHunter. I killed a doe with that load and it was devastating.

Ive burned a great deal of powder in this rifle, including both IMR and Hodgdon versions of 4350, H414, Varget, Reloader 19, IMR 4451, and Reloader 15. Of all those listed, the Reloader 19 was the least accurate, but I only tried it with only 1 bullet.
I did dertermine that Varget for the 120gr class bullets is to the 7x57 what H4350 is to the Creedmoor. Varget is where I start for any 120gr bullet. When I get into heavier class bullets, I lean more towards either 4350.

This past year, Ive hunted more with other rifles, but 2021 will see my 7x57 return to action. I have some Barnes 120gr TTSX im eyeballing to try out, and guess what powder ill be starting with.

I have the ruger african in the caliber, and I love it dearly. I only used it to take one deer, now it just sits in the safe. I do like to handle it alot lol. The slim stocks they put on the African models are lovely. It will prolly be my daughters first rifle when she is old enough. As far as load development, I only have 2 loads. Never got around to really loading it to its potential though. So far 160 hot-cor at 2600 fps, and 145 speer grand slam at 2780 fps. Both loads probably have more to give, and they are loaded with H4350. Overall just a great caliber that has probably taken more game worldwide than many others have. Well talking about it now it may not be my daughter's first rifle [emoji23]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I confess that I chuckle each time I see this thread. My thought turns immediately to how one becomes an "esteemed member." Perhaps it is the presence of a beard? Perhaps it is owning enough rifles to open a gun store? Perhaps it is having enough components to compel others to see if you can supply their habit? Okay, enough of ragging on you. The bottom line is that if you own a 7 Mauser, you own a rifle chambered in a classic cartridge. Loaded appropriately and used wisely, it will stand you in good stead in most of North America.

6.5_sWv":zgfz0qp5 said:
Its possible I you might have read this already, and if so, I apologize for repeating myself.

My father had a good friend Ron who was a rifle looney like the rest of us. He owned a Winchester Model 70 Featherweight in 7x57. He sold the gun to another mutual friend who never used the gun much, maybe never fired it. Well, the original owner of the gun had passed away since then and my Dad, wound up purchasing the same gun from the mutual friend. As it turned out, my Dad gave me this gun as a surprise and it was and is still the greatest gift. There was almost 50 rounds loaded with a 154gr Hornady Interlock / 4350. I killed 2 deer with that load and it performed but it wasn't anything fantastic. It was more of a way to honor Ron, who had loaded for the gun when he owned it.

I wasn't loading at the time so my dad and I developed a load using H4350 and the 140gr Sierra Gameking. I killed a few more deer with this load and i was more please with terminal damage, etc.
The next year I started loading myself and I developed a load using Varget and the 120gr Nosler Ballistic Tip. I was immediately impressed with the durablitly of this bullet, the entrance / exit wounds, and overall performance of this bullet. It has become a staple for this rifle.
Staying with the 120gr trend, I worked up a good load using Reloader 15 and the 120gr Sierra ProHunter. I killed a doe with that load and it was devastating.

Ive burned a great deal of powder in this rifle, including both IMR and Hodgdon versions of 4350, H414, Varget, Reloader 19, IMR 4451, and Reloader 15. Of all those listed, the Reloader 19 was the least accurate, but I only tried it with only 1 bullet.
I did dertermine that Varget for the 120gr class bullets is to the 7x57 what H4350 is to the Creedmoor. Varget is where I start for any 120gr bullet. When I get into heavier class bullets, I lean more towards either 4350.

This past year, Ive hunted more with other rifles, but 2021 will see my 7x57 return to action. I have some Barnes 120gr TTSX im eyeballing to try out, and guess what powder ill be starting with.
I have to say I haven't seen enough of your posts. But, I like how you told your story.
I was wondering if the 120 gr Nos BT was too thinly jacketed, but I know otherwise now.
I have a feeling that the 145gr -154gr bullet weights are probably optimal for everything kinda hunting in the 7mm Mauser. I think you have shown me that they are. The great thing about them, if I remember correctly, from several years ago, is that if you keep those bullet weights in the same velocity range of the same Sectional Density rate of .30 cal bullets, the 7mm Mauser won't let anyone down.
Thank you for your contribution!
I greatly appreciate it!

Hawk

Cleveland48":11o086nf said:
I have the ruger african in the caliber, and I love it dearly. I only used it to take one deer, now it just sits in the safe. I do like to handle it alot lol. The slim stocks they put on the African models are lovely. It will prolly be my daughters first rifle when she is old enough. As far as load development, I only have 2 loads. Never got around to really loading it to its potential though. So far 160 hot-cor at 2600 fps, and 145 speer grand slam at 2780 fps. Both loads probably have more to give, and they are loaded with H4350. Overall just a great caliber that has probably taken more game worldwide than many others have. Well talking about it now it may not be my daughter's first rifle [emoji23]

I remember you acquired that Ruger not too long ago.
The loads you worked up are superb.
I hope you don't mind if I copy them from you?
I like to handle the M70 FW too. It's just a Classic style. I don't mind it's a push feed. It's still a thing of beauty and workmanship. Just like your Ruger African.
I hope to do quite a bit of load development for mine.
Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Hawk

DrMike":34i4iieh said:
I confess that I chuckle each time I see this thread. My thought turns immediately to how one becomes an "esteemed member." Perhaps it is the presence of a beard? Perhaps it is owning enough rifles to open a gun store? Perhaps it is having enough components to compel others to see if you can supply their habit? Okay, enough of ragging on you. The bottom line is that if you own a 7 Mauser, you own a rifle chambered in a classic cartridge. Loaded appropriately and used wisely, it will stand you in good stead in most of North America.
DrMike:

Well, I'm glad you get a laugh out of the Title. LOL
It was meant, especially in your case, because you, and several others on here have a lot of experience with several different calibers. And your knowledge is quite sound.
And, if you're a little long in the tooth, as some of us are, then I value your wisdom, and knowledge.
I hope it imparts the same to some of the younger hunters/shooters here as well.
I greatly appreciate you, and what you can teach.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":10jqzk9i said:
Cleveland48":10jqzk9i said:

I like to handle the M70 FW too. It's just a Classic style. I don't mind it's a push feed. It's still a thing of beauty and workmanship. Just like your Ruger African.

Hawk

Absolutely, mine has a tremendous Freebore which most probably do. I kinda view it like the 9.3x62. Both even with their watered down American loads kill way beyond what paper ballistics say. And all that freebore probably keeps pressures down. Im a huge fan of the 7mm08, and I bet the old mauser will outdo it easily and with lower pressures to boot. And H4350 is a great powder for it. I just wish I could find a round nose 175 gr bullet. Im guessing no one makes them anymore. Ive just really become a fan of heavy for caliber bullets at moderate speeds. They just seem to match up perfect with cup and core bullets one whitetails.

My first big game rifle, 60 years ago, was a 7x57 Douglas barreled 98 Mauser. I was given 4 boxes of the old Remington 175 gr. round nose, and loaded them up with all Herter's equipment. Those bullets worked great on everything I shot from jackrabbits to elk. We sold the rabbits and they didn't want them shot up bad. Don't remember the load but IMR 4320 was the powder. I think the 7x57 and 7-08 both are ideal for standard cup and core bullets - they open up and penetrate without blowing up. Later, I shot everything with 139 Hornady's before "Interlock" or "Secant Ogive" was in their marketing vocabulary. They just called them "Spire Point"s. 5 bucks a box. EE2

Cleveland48":2v7sb8kw said:
HAWKEYESATX":2v7sb8kw said:
Cleveland48":2v7sb8kw said:

Hawk

Absolutely, mine has a tremendous Freebore which most probably do. I kinda view it like the 9.3x62. Both even with their watered down American loads kill way beyond what paper ballistics say. And all that freebore probably keeps pressures down. Im a huge fan of the 7mm08, and I bet the old mauser will outdo it easily and with lower pressures to boot. And H4350 is a great powder for it. I just wish I could find a round nose 175 gr bullet. Im guessing no one makes them anymore. Ive just really become a fan of heavy for caliber bullets at moderate speeds. They just seem to match up perfect with cup and core bullets one whitetails.

I have noticed, that a lot of the old military cartridges that are still around have velocities ranging from 2400fps - 2700 fps. The spitzer bullets they use usually run from 140gr - 180gr.
The ones I mention, like the 7.65x53, the 7.5x55 Swiss, 6.5x55, 7x57, 7.92x57, .303 British, .30-40 Krag, and the .30-06, 7.62x51 NATO, all are very similar in ballistics.
They aren't flashy, or kill anything with an earth shattering BOOM. They just plain work, and work very well in civilian form when used for hunting.
They don't stress out the old cup and core bullets, and make them work as they should.
I admire, and respect the old rounds. Not much you can improve on perfection, as I think.

Hawk

elkeater2":eey918f7 said:
My first big game rifle, 60 years ago, was a 7x57 Douglas barreled 98 Mauser. I was given 4 boxes of the old Remington 175 gr. round nose, and loaded them up with all Herter's equipment. Those bullets worked great on everything I shot from jackrabbits to elk. We sold the rabbits and they didn't want them shot up bad. Don't remember the load but IMR 4320 was the powder. I think the 7x57 and 7-08 both are ideal for standard cup and core bullets - they open up and penetrate without blowing up. Later, I shot everything with 139 Hornady's before "Interlock" or "Secant Ogive" was in their marketing vocabulary. They just called them "Spire Point"s. 5 bucks a box. EE2
That's a really good account of your experience with the 7x57.
Unfortunately, I as well, haven't seen any new round nose 175gr bullets. The only ones I've seen still on the market are the Hornady 175gr SP, and the Sierra 175 SPBT.
I think that the cup and core bullets were made for, what's called today, mild velocities.
You know, it's funny, I bought not too long ago, the Hornady 139gr SPBT bullets for a .280 Rem I had, but I believe they will work much better in the 7x57, along with the 162gr SST's I bought.
I'm looking forward to using middle weight bullets in mine.
I know the fad nowadays is to shoot extra long distances, but even now, most average hunting distances are still 150 - 250 yds. And I know the old 7x57 is capable of doing a lot, and hunting really big game within those distances mentioned before.

Hawk

the hornady 139 btsp is a very good whitetail bullet in my 7mm-08 . I think the 7mm-08 and the 7 mauser are about twins , so the bullet should work just as well .

jimbires":55uin6am said:
the hornady 139 btsp is a very good whitetail bullet in my 7mm-08 . I think the 7mm-08 and the 7 mauser are about twins , so the bullet should work just as well .
I have to fully agree with you there Jim.
They are as close as any cartridges can get.
That's really good to know about the Hornady 139gr SPBT. Now I'm glad I got them a while back.
I won't have to worry about them blowing up like I would when I had my 7mm Rem Mag.

Hawk

Back