What won’t work for you?

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Just for the heck of it. With the shortage of reloading components it has been somewhat hard to find some things in a timely manner. Is there some brass, primer, powder or bullet you would refuse to use for hunting with because of a bad experience with it?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I one time back in the late 70's early 80's had a problem with Rem 9-1/2 primers blowing out the side wall at times. I switched primers with the same loads and never had another problem. I still have 500 of the Remington's and I would be hesitant to use them again.

2000's production Remington brass. In 280 Rem I've generally had very good accuracy with factory 150 grain Remington ammo and have shot many boxes of the stuff and I would generally reload the brass. In Early 2000's they started shooting horribly and 3-4 would split on their first firing. Since then I've stayed away from any 2000's production Remington brass, if they split on the first firing with a factory load I don't see why I would want to spend time on them.

Wont say I refuse to use them...but close. I Have 30 of the old "X bullet" (without the grooves), 90 gr in .25 Cal. and ten still loaded. Shot the first five into a decent group, the next five spread it out to basketball size and the copper wash in the barrel was visible to the naked eye. Took a lot of work to get her cleaned out. Was hoping for a quick deer bullet in my 250. Probably not...keep thinking they might punch through a coyote w/o blowing him up so I hang on to them....Like Im gonna get on a coyote hunt...

Oh, and if I had a pound of 4895, I'd give that away too. Cant make it work... CL

This is an easy one Winchester StaBall 6.5. Tried in 3 rifles and all 3 hated it. Could not achieve decent velocity and accuracy.

RL338":qmzlmcvo said:
This is an easy one Winchester StaBall 6.5. Tried in 3 rifles and all 3 hated it. Could not achieve decent velocity and accuracy.

I’ll be buy to take it off your hands!

It’s been really good in the 30-06 and 22-250 so far!

I bought a box of 270 cal 145 gr ELDX and I have not been able to get those bullets to group worth a darn.

SJB358":2wjm5ypt said:
RL338":2wjm5ypt said:

I’ll be buy to take it off your hands!

It’s been really good in the 30-06 and 22-250 so far!
I only bought 1lb to try and it’s used up. My 30-06 is one of the rifles I tried it in , was very disappointed with. RL17 and RL22 are my go to powders for me , just wanted to try something different.

No worries. I was just kidding. I have only used it with 212 ELDs so far. In that instance it works really well.

Seems I had some trouble with some Alcan small pistol primers a number of years ago.

Nothing, if it doesn't work for me, I sell it or give it away. There are always others that can use it.

H-4198 or IMR-4198 in the .223, tried some years ago and found mediocre accuracy and low velocity. IMR 800X powder, tried it in .357 Mag and .38 Spec., metered so poorly I used the remaining for fertilizer. These experiences were over 20 years ago, but hard learned lessons tend to stick with you.

I never could get Sierra .264 120gr bullets to shoot very good in my .264 Win Mag. But Nosler 120 BT did shoot very well.

I never could get the 120 GMX to shoot in two very accurate 6.5 creedmoors. I tried the factory loads and handloads. I just gave up, and have still not tried that bullet in another caliber.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1100 Remington Man":3ir7z6sd said:
I never could get Sierra .264 120gr bullets to shoot very good in my .264 Win Mag. But Nosler 120 BT did shoot very well.
The Sierra 120s did well in my Model 70.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back