Finally accomplised my goal for the 7 Mag

ReloadKy

Handloader
May 13, 2020
Been wanting to get my Tikka to launch a 160 gr pill 3000fps. Finally able to get it done this morning. I used a 160 gr Speer BTSP with 66 gr of R23. Was able to get an average of 3019 with an SD of 4 and ES of 8. To make things even better I got a 4 shot group of 0.724 inches! Feels good to have a goal in mind and finally accomplish it!!

I don't think I've heard of a bad shooting Tikka rifle . sounds like you've got a good load figured out .

C94B7123-7D2A-4849-A1E4-4FA58321322C.jpeg

Although, to be fair, there isn’t much the 7 Mag can do that the 7mm-08 can’t do at common hunting ranges.

Tikka, of course.

P

ReloadKy":1ihi1855 said:
Been wanting to get my Tikka to launch a 160 gr pill 3000fps. Finally able to get it done this morning. I used a 160 gr Speer BTSP with 66 gr of R23. Was able to get an average of 3019 with an SD of 4 and ES of 8. To make things even better I got a 4 shot group of 0.724 inches! Feels good to have a goal in mind and finally accomplish it!!
Glad you got er done. The deer will be in trouble this fall for sure. Dan.

Thanks all. Pharm if I could get some RL26 I would definitely give it a shot. I know for a lot of people with a 7 mag getting a 160 grainer to fly over 3k is not that hard. With the 7 mag I have always had loads that are quite a bit below stated velocities in manuals and by word of mouth. I know most manuals conduct thier testing with a 26 inch barrel so they are bound to get more. I had been wanting to accomplish this goal since I started to reload 5 or so years ago and finally got it licked. I guess the reason why I wanted to accomplish is to justify to myself the reason for me to have the 7 mag and not just use the ol 270 or 30-06 for everything, lol.

That’s awesome RK! I love my 7mm mags. They hit like a truck and with the 160 class and up bullets they have great ballistics and penetrate DEEP. I’m happy that you were able to work up such a great load for your rifle. There’s great satisfaction in it. Congrats! But I can’t knock the 270 Win either. It’s one of my most favorite rounds along with the 308. It’s hard not to ignore the muscle the 7mm mag puts in your hands though. Outstanding work.

Thanks Joe. I have not spent a lot of time with the chrono on the 7 mag but have learned to appreciate the power that you mention. Whenever suppliers get some in stock I am planning on trying to get the 160 accubonds to do the same thing.

jimbires":1jmhcyl2 said:
I don't think I've heard of a bad shooting Tikka rifle . sounds like you've got a good load figured out .
HMMMMM.....oh yeah, Sako makes Tikka. No surprise (y)

I hit 3200+ with the 160 AB in a 7mm Weatherby using RL26, but given the accuracy of your load I would not mess with it.

Excellent. Glad you hung in there and found the right load for your rifle. That is a powerful load that will take out any animal in North America. Way to go RK!

JD338

The 160 at around 3000 is pretty danged good.

Like Jim mentioned, ain’t nothing I’d worry about using that combo.

It's already been said, but I will iterate nevertheless--a 160 grain pill at ~3000 fps will handle any game in NA and in most of the remainder of the world. Looks as if you've found a great load.

Back