Primer and Brass questions

Silentstalker

Handloader
Jun 2, 2011
So with today’s lack of components I have reached a point where I need to start using other components.

I reload my 270 win using Win brass and WLR primers.

I’m now out of WLR primers and have CCI 200’s and CCI magnum primers.

My understanding is that the WLR is a “hotter” primer. If that is true, would I be better off to use the 200’s or the magnum primers?

If they are not as hot can I substitute them without re working up the load?

Lastly, I am a hunter first and foremost. My shots are 600 yards or less and my rifle is a 3/4-1” gun off a bench.

If I use Hornady or Remington brass in place of Win brass what kinds of discrepancies will I see, if any?

I know these are rookie questions but I am not sure if substituting these components is a big deal or not in regards to safety or accuracy.

Thank you!

gbflyer":attb8d4w said:
In my experience, not a big deal.

I’ll echo that. Hornady makes decent brass and whatever primer that duplicates your current load will work fine.

I actually had a 1000 Tula LR primers on my shelf, been the first years. Decided to give them a whirl the other day. Seem to be just fine with 8208 and 35 Whelen loads so far.

Never change any component with out backing off and working up . This is more relevant if you are close to max . There is often enough difference between two brands of brass to make a ok load too hot . Weight the cases and see how much difference in weight . Everything else being the same the heaviest case will probably produce the most pressure .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk

ozarkpugs":x1zgb5ws said:
Never change any component with out backing off and working up . This is more relevant if you are close to max . There is often enough difference between two brands of brass to make a ok load too hot . Weight the cases and see how much difference in weight . Everything else being the same the heaviest case will probably produce the most pressure .

Sent from my moto g(7) play using Tapatalk
That’s good to know. I will do that. Thank you!

The brand of case you use "can make a difference" , primers also but I have not experienced the significant difference that I do with changing cases. And also remember that all rifles are not made the same so you may not see drastic changes caused by changing components

Thank you. I really appreciate the input from each h if you.

I think the consensus is what I thought, yes, it could change things. So, I will get to testing new stuff...

This is one of the reasons why I am happy to use a lighter load if it will give decent hunting accuracy. Makes it easier to change a component when not pushing the envelope on the high side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always good to have a Plan B. Changing primer brands shouldn't matter too much but it did improve my accuracy once in a 22-250. I use Magnum primers when I load 60.0 grs + of powder.
Brass can make a difference so you should drop your load charge weight by a couple grains and work up.

JD338

I don’t have any issues with CCI 200’s with ball powders. I use them getting great accuracy with 51.2 grains of CFE 223 in 308 Win, and 56 grains of Staball 6.5 270 Win. They also work great with 61 grains of RL26 in the same 270. I doubt you’ll see much difference if any.

Joec7651":1h324ndh said:
I don’t have any issues with CCI 200’s with ball powders. I use them getting great accuracy with 51.2 grains of CFE 223 in 308 Win, and 56 grains of Staball 6.5 270 Win. They also work great with 61 grains of RL26 in the same 270. I doubt you’ll see much difference if any.

For me it’s a question of good vs. better. I did a primer test in two 7mm-08 rifles. Same load (Big Game with 120 BT), each rifle had 3 rounds of CCI200 and WLRM, so four three-shot groups total. Each shot was chronographed as well.

The WLRM gave me close to 75 more fps and slightly tighter groups in both rifles.

So I figured, why not.

P

Most times it makes little difference, however, several months back I substituted a Fed 210 GMM for my usual WLR primer in my 7-08 to see what the changed might be. I changed NOTHING but the primer. accuracy went from 1/2 inch to several inches at 100 yds. I had a few of the WLR primer reloads with me as well. I shot them and accuracy went right back 1/2 inch.

Jumping into this late but I'll add my .02. I also have noticed very little difference when it comes to using just standard primers. In limited testing I seen next to no difference when substituting CCI 200/ WLR/ and Remington 9 1/2. This was just at 100 yds. If substituting magnum for standard primers, for me, I would back off some first just to be sure.

Not in my gun, but in a buddies......federal primers being used gave a false positive at lower charge weights of showing pressure, if you were just going off primers, which I don't. Federal primers are soft IMO. I convinced my buddy to switch to WLR's he had on hand and flat primers went away. Not to say that Federal is worse/better, just soft and unreliable as a pressure indicator IMO. At least these were.

Canbt say my testing has been all that scientific.... but my 250 Sav. does not seem to like Mag. primers either. CL

Back