New guy question

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
I am putting my reloading station in a non climate controlled shed. Well its not yet will be insulated and heated but not this winter. Will the cold then turning a heater on when I'm in there affect tools, powder and such. Condensation would probably be an enemy i would think.
Let me know what yall think

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

You are correct in saying that warming it up artificially, and then letting it cool naturally will cause condensation inside of your powder containers. That would be a huge no-no.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also worry about the press developing rust.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

My local hardware store put me on to Gibbs. For rust prevention. He’d use it on this guns, spray them down let it soak in, then would wipe. I started using it the last year. Nothing. I’ve sprayed got rusty...yet. I did spray my dies, presses, and a lot of other tools. They do wipe clean.

Labels says it’s a penetrating oil with rust preventives...

Probably like gun oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I live in the Catskill Mts of New York so its cold. Looks like I'll be doing the shed up before doing any reloading

I should have suggested, maybe a 100w light bulb with some sort of enclosure. Think gun safe and dehumidifier rod... as an option.

I have my long term stuff, stored in a large insulated box, lined with plastic and covered with old sleeping bags, blankets and misc, all sitting on a concrete floor. I believe that the three layers and plastic reduces moisture transmission as well as slows temperature increases and decreases. They are also stored away from any outside walls.

So I've been working my old brain. Trying to figure this situation out. I was enclosing my reloading area anyway in the back right corner of the shed so no dirt and crap can contaminated the area. If I place a small electric baseboard heater in the enclosed insulated area. Keep it at let's say 55°. That should keep everything rust free and condensation free. Do you folks think this should work really good or do I need to try something else?
The rest of the shed is for working on wheelers and dirt bikes or getting out of the house.[emoji6]

1baadbc1ecbcfdb22a86e0c8475ea1c4.jpg

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

You want the humidity to be 50% or less. The approach with a thermostat works below 55, over 55, it won’t kick on and humidity will enter.

You just need to keep a few degrees above ambient temp to keep the humidity down.

I have a wireless thermometer and humidistat in my safe and in my unheated garage. I can see the inside of the safe is normally 3-4 degrees warmer than the garage and humidity is 10% lower.

Get the remotes and give the heater at 55 a try. You could also put a safe dehumidifier rod in there and I think would work better. I have 14 watts in my safe (bigger safe). I think I’ll replace the rods with bigger ones. Rainy days spike the humidity and I’d like it a little dryer.

So I got enough of the honey do list done yesterday to work on my reloading closet. Its not very big but I think it will work fine. Just hope I can get the temp where I need it so I don't have any issues. Its 6' x4'6"x7'. R13 insulation walls and ceiling. Floor is already insulated. I'm just doing the little room for now. Have to wait for taxes to do the rest of the shed
09e709706aeded4527c98ed1fec34cd0.jpg

I see why you are thinking space heater.that should work. Does the 13 have the vapor barrier on it? Might be a good add if you aren’t past that decision...looks like a fun project!

mjcmichigan":1akogipi said:
I see why you are thinking space heater.that should work. Does the 13 have the vapor barrier on it? Might be a good add if you aren’t past that decision...looks like a fun project!

Yes its faced insulation. Yea its kinda fun but I do this stuff everyday at work. I could have built this shed for almost 1500 cheaper but I don't have time. I ordered it and it was on my prepared site in just over a month. Can't beat that. [emoji2962]

Patting my self on the back here. This is the last house we did.
ecea0449b338bd8048e77515b6b333d9.jpg

0a94fd4e61cfdcbcf09e9341daedb618.jpg

537acda084416c3e7aff3e7ed7ba59f2.jpg

mjcmichigan":pjqrywx0 said:
Wow. That’s a house! Love the porch and windows!

7,300 square feet of house and 4,000 square feet of deck. It felt like a never ending stack of windows. You should see the kitchens. Yes 2 kitchens. 7 bathrooms 7 bedrooms. Every bedroom had its own bath except the 2 in basement. Ill see if I can dig up some more pics. Me and 4 other guys built this whole house except foundation and stone work. Plumbing and electric were subs also

Let's see if these work been having trouble posting pics
a2ddd45918f721226acf5e87dae35f8c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210125/e6b5397255b74cf1d2d4079bc738b5f1.jpg[/img
][img]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20210125/715aefa7abee146ecbde491e2873b768.jpg
7e4e76760c086b19d445e409a3131c2b.jpg

50664ad38cd1d87ee442ae78691d8acf.jpg

00c3f4ec2632ef1ba0954f3dbe3b31d2.jpg

03baad19721487af5e2d92ae843070b4.jpg

Wow, that is a gorgeous home! Love all the big windows to enjoy the beautiful view. You do beautiful work and your new reloading room will be awesome when it's done.

JD338

DrMike":3seeoxmj said:
Yeah, but where did you put the reloading room? :mrgreen:
Its a 1.5 miles away at my poop hole

Back