Making head way

ronc80

Beginner
Dec 29, 2018
I'm getting closer on my little reloading room. They are all just cut and set in there. Need to glue and screw them all together. Should be sturdy enough with no leg supports under it. You won't see any of the 2x4 underneath either. They are just there to hold it in place for me. One good thing it was mostly free scrap from a job we just did.

6cdd665639b9d033358bdee5d3b1f61a.jpg

cf545823abd923419136c329169107ac.jpg

451e5277f086df8636ba1aed41dd5dc3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Thats a nice space- officially jealous. You should be able to maintain some heat in there if you need to pretty easy. CL

Very nice. Looks like it's well insulated, you will be able to heat it with a match.

JD338

Thanks for the compliments. I shortened the width of the longer part by 3". Made it just a little to tight at 24".
What would you put on the bench finish wise? I'm going to paint all the shelving and walls either white or a really light gray semi gloss (should clean pretty easy). Do I paint it, stain it, or just clear coat it? I want it to look good but I'm more concerned about durability. What kind of surfaces do you all have for a bench top?

I've got a laminate surface on my bench. I had the same on my bench at my last house too.
Paint/stain is a personal preference but a couple coats of clear coat would certainly make it more durable and easier to clean up.

JD338

Looks good. I put a light colored coat of Thompsons water seal on my bench built couple years ago and it serves the purpose. You will enjoy your reloading room. Dan.

Got the corners glued and screwed. Had to grab my press and see how it looked.
6fd17bfa4dffb8cc1f11ebcb1b4a95c5.jpg
40443f1812f8e875caf918b0f52825c3.jpg
13ce94948fc30cf4634cfc579ecb71aa.jpg
0670460d8a7b8e46ad60651b7f6cfe57.jpg

You have a good looking set up going for you. It'll be fun for us to see the finished product, though I would say that what is shown so far is quite attractive.

Got it all glued up planned and a quick sand. I could drive my super duty on it.
b538eed1d746223fd9ef6fcb343edd1a.jpg
e82b4ea68e6c2acb93a28e11b3509160.jpg
57ab282d6daa9bd613c50666873f673f.jpg
73d673aa30be23e0d594e445cf166819.jpg
71808ca6e3b34cb18f6156714555996e.jpg
2b126bace2c0fec9c7cf41d059c7c050.jpg

Looks great. You are moving right along with things.

JD338

cant get your pics resized enough to really see whats going on, but with the extreme magnification, I did notice you spilled some blood over the project :shock: :) . Looking forward to seeing the completed project! CL

Yup just put an edge on the planner. Its sharp

I repurposed a hand made counter from my last house for my reloading bench that I currently use which has 2 Dillon presses and an RCBS Special #2 press for loading the big stuff plus a drafting lay out table for my shot shell reloader , Lyman lead bullet sizer and another Dillon reloading press. The counter had a vinyl covering on it and is holding up well the lay out table has some type of wax on it that is very durable but I don't know what it is.

Your set up looks great and should serve you well.
Repurposing left over scrap materials from other projects can be very rewarding and something I do a lot.
I just recently finished one side of my basement and the wife has an indoor green house in the new room and wanted a potting table so I made her one out of scrap boards that was left over.
I see you have the same taste for hand tools as I do, Stanly/ Blacken Decker/ Dewalt.
They just bought out Milwaukee also. Soon they will own them all.

I put a formica top on my bench, added some cheap LED strip lights under the wall cabinets [as in a kitchen, Menard's $15] to enhance task lighting and a bright LED ceiling light. And because the space is quite tight, I installed my various loading machines by installing threaded inserts into some 2x8 that was secured flat under the counter top to reinforce the areas where the machines would be installed. This has allowed me to use the same area for my Dillon Square Deal B, Ponsness Warren 375 shot shell loader, and Ponsness progressive shot shell loader. The shelving over the bench is for component and die storage, the area under is shelved up for loaded ammo storage, bulk powder/component storage, and shot is stored on the floor. This installation method allows the machines to be very securely mounted and then quickly relocated to utilize a different machine. The only thing permanently affixed to the bench was the Rock Chucker. I've got an awful lot going on in a little 42" x 86" basement closet area that was formerly used as a photo darkroom. Best ideas: formica, backsplash moulding, raised floor over concrete substrate, a very solid bench. Wishes for change: vinyl flooring over OSB floor, raised edge on formica work surface to control spilled shot.

Well done. Very nice! I built my bench top out of 2x8s and have had many years of use out of it. I have noticed as I my eyes have aged I need a lot more light in my work area. My solution is LED lights and a light back ground. I have been laying a sheet of of white paper on my bench - a lighter back ground vs. the wood top. It is surprising how much it helps checking the inside of the cases for stainless pins etc.

Update..... got it insulated but that's it. I couldn't wait any longer. I bolted the press down and started making some fun. First one hundred rounds. I took my time and did the best I could with what knowledge I have crammed into my old head.
Only mishap was the first pull of the powder dispenser. Those little balls come out fast and do not stay in the little tray if it's to far away. That was a quick learn. Lol
I feel good about how they turned out. It's suppose to warm up this coming week. Maybe I can sneak up on the hill after work and kill some paper.
f9770edf27485f458759ab2593c215b5.jpg

Looks like some nice hardware!

Enjoy the outdoors time!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That certainly appears to be a substantial bench that'll serve you well. Excellent to see the progress.

Back