44 Rem Mag and 240gr JSP Info in Lever Actions

Scrumbag

Beginner
Feb 22, 2021
Hi folks,

Looking to load up my 20" barrel Chiappa 1892 clone for a deer load with the 240 gr Jacket Soft Point (44868) as hopefully will hold up a bit better at carbine velocities rather than bullets with a big cavity up front.

I have some H110 and Alliant / Herc 2400 and can get some N110 and Enforcer if really thought necessary.

Cases are PPU once fired. Will be have a Lee FCD applied. Primers will be Magtech large pistol but might have some Large Magnum Pistol somewhere.

Looking for either a QL or actual experience of realistic performance.

Rifle looks like this (And who doesn't like perving at guns)

Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

Hoping to develop a plinking load (240gr cast lead RNFP and Unique) and a hunting load (Thinking 240 gr Nosler JSP or Swift A-Frame. Maybe the 265gr Hornady over H110 or N110)
I know Skinner is selling a kit they call the Bush Pilot with a 16” version in this case.

Best wishes,

M

Cool little lever-action! (y)

Have been loading the 44 for 35 years or so, but always for a revolver.

Your idea of a plinking load with a lead bullet and about 9 - 10 grains of Unique is solid. I've loaded and shot a lot of those over the years.

Then, a full-power load with a jacketed 240 gr JSP and H110/W296 will certainly develop some good power! I haven't shot nearly as many of those. They thump! Not sure how they'd perform from the rifle vs the revolver, but I'd think they'd do just fine for deer. I'm sure someone here will have worked up some good 44 loads for a rifle.

A 44 deserves a good crimp btw. I just roll-crimp with my RCBS die, but there are other options.

Looking forward to your range report!

Guy

Enforcer is a good powder for heavy loads, it and Accurate 4100 are the exact same powder just under different labels.

I've had the best luck with 4100/Enforcer in my 41 mag lever action with Swift A-Frames.... though 110 is about as good, just harder to find.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I load my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag with the Nosler 240 gr JHP and 23.5 grs H110. I'm getting 1.5-2" groups but it hammers deer! Exits wounds through the ribs are about the size of a quarter and blood trails are short and heavy.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20171231_180819157.jpg
    IMG_20171231_180819157.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 1,387
Guy Miner":h2t0x0nq said:
Cool little lever-action! (y)

Have been loading the 44 for 35 years or so, but always for a revolver.

Your idea of a plinking load with a lead bullet and about 9 - 10 grains of Unique is solid. I've loaded and shot a lot of those over the years.

Then, a full-power load with a jacketed 240 gr JSP and H110/W296 will certainly develop some good power! I haven't shot nearly as many of those. They thump! Not sure how they'd perform from the rifle vs the revolver, but I'd think they'd do just fine for deer. I'm sure someone here will have worked up some good 44 loads for a rifle.

A 44 deserves a good crimp btw. I just roll-crimp with my RCBS die, but there are other options.

Looking forward to your range report!

Guy

Cheers Guy.

I actually load just under 7 gr of Unique with 240gr RNFP as it's just sub-sonic and for a slow cast boolit (with my loading) not too inaccurate out to 50 yds.

Hoping H110 will get me where I need to be with the 240gr bullet. I could try things like 200gr XTP and 210 JHC which give loads of ironically higher Muzzle Energy. However, I reckon (certainly with the XTP) that the bullet won't have slowed down to meet it's design impact velocity until about 125yds down range. I reckon most of my hunting with the 44 mag leaver action will be sub 100 yds so perhaps those lighter bullets aren't up to the job.

Anyway, more to play with when the ranges open up again.

M

Ridgerunner665":8p2k942s said:
Enforcer is a good powder for heavy loads, it and Accurate 4100 are the exact same powder just under different labels.

I've had the best luck with 4100/Enforcer in my 41 mag lever action with Swift A-Frames.... though 110 is about as good, just harder to find.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I keep hearing good things about Enforcer, maybe one to try if H110 doesn't work out for me. Also made in Belgium so easier to find here.

M

OP, you might also consider Accurate #9. I use it with warm .45 Colt loads in my Henry rifle, using 240-250gr JHP's. Velocity in the 1650-1725 range, they do a number on deer. It's just a little faster-burning than Enforcer/4100, and doesn't need a magnum primer.

JD338":n6fw84gp said:
I load my Marlin 1894 44 Rem Mag with the Nosler 240 gr JHP and 23.5 grs H110. I'm getting 1.5-2" groups but it hammers deer! Exits wounds through the ribs are about the size of a quarter and blood trails are short and heavy.

JD338

Thanks JD, good work on the deer. Nice looking set up, too.

I think I might need a bit more than 23.5gr of H110. Looking to get to 1,700 ftlb (daft hunting reg on muzzle energy) so need 1,786 ftlbs to make 240gr work.

Hodgdon quote a 20" bbl, with 24gr of H110 and a Nosler JSP as giving an MV of 1,817 (1,760 ftlb ME) so should work but always nice to get a sense-check from people on manufactures published data.

M

bdbrown66":3jcwkrit said:
OP, you might also consider Accurate #9. I use it with warm .45 Colt loads in my Henry rifle, using 240-250gr JHP's. Velocity in the 1650-1725 range, they do a number on deer. It's just a little faster-burning than Enforcer/4100, and doesn't need a magnum primer.

Cheers, I will certainly look into it if H110 and 2400 don't get where I need to.

M

I've loaded for Ruger's 44 Auto Carbine since about 1980. Shot a lot of different bullets both soft points and Hollow points and several powders. We once had 3, 44 carbines in the family and I've seen a lot of deer and hogs put down and I've settled on what we hunt with.
Only 240 grain soft points. No hollow points in the carbines. Most any brand will do but I prefer the Speer Gold Dot soft points. I'm not sure if these are still available but I had a supply that I'm still loading from.
Max. load of 296. 2400 is the classic .44 mag. powder and it burns cleaner now than the old stuff. It will do fine.

I find myself wanting a Henry .44 mag. steel rifle. I might end up getting one though I sure don't need it.

I use and prefer H-110/Win296 to all other powders for FPS and accuracy and it burns cleaner than 2400. Use a heavy crimp and do not download it from specs

I'm unsure where Magtech primers are on the brisance chart, but a hot primer is recommended for densely packed, fine grained W296 loads. H110 is just different lots of W296 if you didn't know. WLPs have been my 1st choice & are labeled for magnum or standard loads. Federal 155s are in 2nd place, but my lots of components are different than yours. As stated above, no real reduction is recommended & use a heavy roll crimp.

Darkhorse":3e003cjf said:
I've loaded for Ruger's 44 Auto Carbine since about 1980. Shot a lot of different bullets both soft points and Hollow points and several powders. We once had 3, 44 carbines in the family and I've seen a lot of deer and hogs put down and I've settled on what we hunt with.
Only 240 grain soft points. No hollow points in the carbines. Most any brand will do but I prefer the Speer Gold Dot soft points. I'm not sure if these are still available but I had a supply that I'm still loading from.
Max. load of 296. 2400 is the classic .44 mag. powder and it burns cleaner now than the old stuff. It will do fine.

I find myself wanting a Henry .44 mag. steel rifle. I might end up getting one though I sure don't need it.

Thanks Darkhorse. It does seem that soft points get more use in carbine loads than hollow points. I will certainly try with H110.

M

Divernhunter":3ilpv2ay said:
I use and prefer H-110/Win296 to all other powders for FPS and accuracy and it burns cleaner than 2400. Use a heavy crimp and do not download it from specs

Understood. Hodgdon states the 240gr JSP should be loaded 23-24gr for the Nosler 240gr JSP @ 1.600" and a large pistol primer. Certainly will put a stiff crimp in. If nothing else for the tube loading in addition to getting the powder lit.

M

Really cool looking set up! Cant imagine what I would "use" it for...but it sure looks like fun! Bet I could think of something :) How do you feel about the quality of your Chiappa? Enjoy! will look forward to your laod work etc. CL

358 WCF":663i7s7m said:
I'm unsure where Magtech primers are on the brisance chart, but a hot primer is recommended for densely packed, fine grained W296 loads. H110 is just different lots of W296 if you didn't know. WLPs have been my 1st choice & are labeled for magnum or standard loads. Federal 155s are in 2nd place, but my lots of components are different than yours. As stated above, no real reduction is recommended & use a heavy roll crimp.

They seem to have a good reputation locally. Hodgdon's data for the 240gr JSP and H110 uses a Remington 2 1/2 primer which is large pistol so should be OK I think.

cloverleaf":170hltmu said:
Really cool looking set up! Cant imagine what I would "use" it for...but it sure looks like fun! Bet I could think of something :) How do you feel about the quality of your Chiappa? Enjoy! will look forward to your laod work etc. CL

Well, I fancied a lever action and why not have a John Moses Browning design that is also a takedown. ;)

Quality seems good. I have taken the rifle out hunting with factory ammo so managed to wear the rubber finish a bit (However, our highseats / treestands are metal so can be hard on stocks)

Metal work seems good I think. Rail works well. Only thing I don't like is having the peep sight in front of the receiver. Makes it a bit harder to be consistent as I suck with irons not mounted back next to the eye.

M

Well folks, got some loaded up. Now it's just a question of getting to the range

Nosler_240gr_JSP.jpg

Round, fat, stubby, ugly bullets are just "beautiful" sometimes ;)

Scrummy

Bit of an update folks.

Shot the above at the range. Couple of OK but not great groups. I did notice though I got a lot of dirty cases. Checked the Hodgdon data and their website calls for a large pistol primer. Pretty much every other manual I have and reputable web source calls for a magnum large pistol primer. So, that might be worth checking out.

M

Back