Little more work on the A-bolt.

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Heading in the right direction. Got an A-bolt that was fairly ho-hum with loads that generally work in 06......1.250-1.5"

Bedded it and that pulled the same standard load down to just a tick over an inch. Done a little more work to it and tested it today and the same load is now down to just over 3/4".

Might try 1 or 2 things yet with seating depth, but with components being in tight supply right now I'm not gonna sweat a 3/4" gun by trying to split hairs and get it better.

I also tried another favorite in 06. 180 gr cup & core bullet with 56 gr's or so of IMR 4350. I've found that most 06's shoot about the same with either 56 or 56.5 gr's so I usually split the difference at 56.2 when testing. I've never had one remotely offer to show pressure with this load so I don't even bother running up checking for pressure anymore. I just load them up. Not advising anyone else to do so, just what I do.

Used them old round noses I got from reloads from an older gent. I believe they're Hornady's. Didn't do bad with these either. Just a touch under an inch loaded .060 off the lands.

Might try one or 2 quick seating depth tests with both these bullets, or might not given the current primer shortage, don't know. Next project is a JC Higgins M50. (y)

It does appear that you're doing everything right and the evidence is witnessed in the groups you're producing. Good job.

Thanks fella's. That 165 gr group with 57 of 4350 was after a single fouling shot on a REALLY clean barrel. So that gave me some confidence as well. It's getting now where it's not fighting me and wants to shoot.

Don't know what I'll do with it, might sell it and try to turn a buck, might try to shoot something with it first. I got a synthetic stocked 98 mauser in 06 that I done a good bit of work to and shoots pretty well, and is probably a better gun in my eyes, so don't really need a back up for my back up.

It is a disappointment that components are in such short supply. Exhausting all load possibilities with a rifle is most of the fun for me anyway. Even with a decent supply a fella needs to be a little conservative.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Electron":1r2fup6c said:
It is a disappointment that components are in such short supply. Exhausting all load possibilities with a rifle is most of the fun for me anyway. Even with a decent supply a fella needs to be a little conservative.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Couldn't agree more. I got a decent supply and got access to more primers if I'd need it, but still trying to be extra conservative and only working on what needs worked on.

I picked up a custom Mauser in 257 AI that the first trip to the range put 6 shots with 3 different charge weights and 2 grains apart, under 3/4" at 100 yds. Talk about a fun gun to shoot, and who knows how accurate it could get with fine tuning. Yet I haven't shot it since except to test how it does with fireforming new cases, because I'd just be wasting primers. That's darn near a crime. Stinks bad it does. But it's the boat we're all in at the moment.

An ‘06 that groups under an inch makes one of the most effective and reliable hunting rifles you’ll find. That equates to less than a 4” group at 400 yards. That’s meat in the freezer!

Nice work ST. I used the same 180 gr load in my 30-06 rifles back in the day and they delivered sub MOA accuracy as well.

JD338

My A bolt in .300 Win. Mag. requires 5 shots from a squeaky clean barrel before it settles down and starts printing it's best groups. Before each hunting season it's cleaned and then fired 5 shots before I ask it to perform.

Back