Learning Rescources

3 Meter Para Bellum

Handloader
Apr 17, 2020
Hey everyone. I have never reloaded before and don't expect to be able to buy the equipment to do so any time soon, but that hasn't stopped me from wanting to learn more on how to do it. I came across Nosler's reloading guide on their website and started wondering if there might be any good books to start me learning how to properly reload, the Nosler guide or otherwise. I am an (almost) complete beginner in the realm, so I'm looking for something entry level, but I also get into things fast, so I would like something comprehensive too.

Any suggestions?

Pick up a Hornady reloading manual. They have a step by step introduction to reloading in their manual. It’s a very introductory version but it’ll get you started. Once you’ve got that mastered, then you’ll be able to scour the the web and understand what everyone is talking about. Welcome to the rabbit hole that is reloading. If you really want to achieve tight groups and be able to shoot long range, buy the best gear you can afford right off the hop. If you are getting into it to save money, lol you’ve come to the wrong place!!

Best of luck!
CutterRMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good advice above. I know that my Speer manual also has a good section on getting started reloading. FWIW, consistency, caution, and persistence are your most important tools. It does not require a lot of expensive equipt. to make good accurate loads. There are many here w/ good insights and knowledge you can also utilize. Welcome to the board! CL

PS- one thing I did when getting started in addition to reading up on the process in a couple manuals was to take notes on each step of the process. Kind of a punch list- first this then that etc. Helps me not forget a step in the process and feel confident tht I have done things right. Just me....

You Tube has several good channels specific to reloading. While a lot of the content is pretty advanced, there are some great introductory videos to get started.

Welcome 3 Meter Para Bellum.

The Hornady book is a good recommendation. I find the Lyman 50th to be good as well and maybe a little easier for me to read.

On rifle rounds (30-06, 6.5 Creedmoor, 280 Rem and Ackley) I get very accurate rounds while saving money. I'm just getting into pistol reloading where I don't expect to save any money.

I second the check list, it has worked very well for me.

I like to use a Dillon 550 as a single stage. I have used the base model for years prior to purchasing the primer system and powder measure last year. It gives very good options for growth while not forcing you to deal with the complexities of a progressive. The point being, read / watch videos / learn about all types of tools and machines as they sometimes have options you wouldn't normally pick-up on.

A couple of good online or video resources are: Gavin at Ultimate Reloader - https://ultimatereloader.com

https://www.thereloadersnetwork.com/ - I try to watch videos over here rather than youtube...

Highboy 76 - I can't find his non-youtube videos in a playlist format. I would probably start with: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... RqnMIzeSeG.

I highly recommend his women's beginning reloading series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tpY_OA ... MI8PLx8i_7 I would be fairly selective and skip some of the gun specific stuff at the start. While a slow talker, he explains the WHY rather than just the HOW.

I'll second 76 Highboy's videos & web site.

Most loading manuals have a good "how to" section that deserves attention.

Thanks for asking - that's a great way to start instead of just crashing on into handloading and learning by the school of hard knocks.

Regards, Guy

Nice, I'll probably have to pick up one of Hornady's reloading manuals as well as look into these other suggestions when I can.

I'd recommend the Lyman 50th as well. You might even hook up with an experienced reloader to help over the sticky places. When I first started reloading, all I had was an old gentleman who taught me the basics and then some well before I actually started. I'd shot my first deer at 11, started learning the basics of handloading and bullet casting shortly thereafter but didn't load a single round until age 16. That was in the year 1954. Basically in the beginning I'd help the old gentleman with depriming cases and sometimes he'd let me seat bullets for him. Frankly, I did most of the steps except charging the cases with powder. He did that. First reloading tools I got were the Lyman 310 Tong tool and dies for .38 Sp., 30-30 and 30-06. It was a couple of years before I got my first press, a Pacific "C" press. I used it until 1970 when I bought my Rockchucker. That Pacific well for .38 Spl. but wasn't quite as nice with rifle cases. There the Rockchucker was much better.
Paul B.

Back