Winchester M70 416 Rem, 1st range trip and I’m impressed.

Cleveland48

Handloader
Jul 28, 2015
Was very happy with this rifle for its first trip out. So far IMR 4064 and 300 TSX shoots great. Unfortunately BL-C(2) and the 350 TTSX continue to disappoint mostly. I never could get that powder and bullet to shoot in my #1 416 rem either. Although the first load came in slightly under 1 1/2” at almost 2600 fps, I am happy with that accuracy and power level for dangerous game. When it comes to whitetail I just can’t walk away from that 300 TSX loads. I had two more loads with the 350 TTSX and BLC(2), but they were both close to 2 1/2” so those were abandoned lol.
029a24ab815ba44f7b66b6688eb5bc6c.jpg
96707dbb52f44d1c328ec9a7e3bce93c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is an impressive first effort. I do believe that rifle wants to shoot the load you worked up.

Looks like you have a shooter. Nice work!

JD338

Yep! 2 different charge weights and both good groups showing consistency. It wants to shoot. Good work!

I'd say in a mono bullet that 300 TSX would handle everything from whitetail to buffalo.

DrMike":kdj18y12 said:
That is an impressive first effort. I do believe that rifle wants to shoot the load you worked up.
Thanks I’m really looking forward to trying some new loads, if bullets for the big bores come back in stock anywhere lol

JD338":u1qcci32 said:
Looks like you have a shooter. Nice work!

JD338
Thanks I’m very happy with the rifle so far.

ShadeTree":u8xnim8x said:
Yep! 2 different charge weights and both good groups showing consistency. It wants to shoot. Good work!

I'd say in a mono bullet that 300 TSX would handle everything from whitetail to buffalo.
I’ve seen some people use the 300’s on buffalo, and said they worked well. If I ever got to go to Africa though I’d prolly move up to 400’s just in case lol

I love reading your loading adventures! On my laptop though, the pictures from Tapatalk Pro iPhone come across blown up so big they spill off the screen and across the floor - maybe it's just me, I know, but curious if others experience this. Even so, another beautiful rifle and great write-up! EE2

elkeater2":jypk4zux said:
I love reading your loading adventures! On my laptop though, the pictures from Tapatalk Pro iPhone come across blown up so big they spill off the screen and across the floor - maybe it's just me, I know, but curious if others experience this. Even so, another beautiful rifle and great write-up! EE2
Thank you! maybe I can figure out something with Tapatalk and the pictures. I’m not the smartest when it comes to technology lol

elkeater2":1is78s28 said:

there are a few guys the pics are huge . if I logout the pic is usually a normal size .

Cleveland48":vtsunkgn said:
elkeater2":vtsunkgn said:
Thank you! maybe I can figure out something with Tapatalk and the pictures. I’m not the smartest when it comes to technology lol

I have that same problem on my Mac.
Paul B.

I like following yours and others posts about these big bores. For the first time out with your new toy it seems to be a shooter. Hope you get to try it out this fall. Dan.

wvbuckbuster":1qybwink said:
I like following yours and others posts about these big bores. For the first time out with your new toy it seems to be a shooter. Hope you get to try it out this fall. Dan.
Thanks, yeah hopefully will continue to be a shooter. This is the first model 70 I’ve had in a long time, forgot how much I messed them

Awesome shooting. I’ve been waiting to try the 300 TTSX in my 458... I think it might be okay for an old buck deer.

SJB358":19hglhmf said:
Awesome shooting. I’ve been waiting to try the 300 TTSX in my 458... I think it might be okay for an old buck deer.
I thinking it’ll be just fine[emoji23]. I don’t know how easy it is to find the 458 Components, but it’s terrible finding the 416’s right now. For a good while the Barnes were easy to find, and I shot a lot of them. Now they have dried up too.

I managed to wiggle into 150 of the woodliegh 340 gr pp to try out also. Looking forward I working with them

Well, one thing is certain. If you’re ever confronted with an angry charging whitetail you’ll be able to protect yourself. Lol.

Joec7651":2ernk2ek said:
Well, one thing is certain. If you’re ever confronted with an angry charging whitetail you’ll be able to protect yourself. Lol.
Haha maybe so

Back