First go of it

Mmann

Beginner
Dec 29, 2020
I finally was able to piece together enough stuff to reload a couple for the .300 wsm. To be totally honest a lot of this is super new to me, JD338 has helped me a ton with my 7mm. The wsm’s are the first ones I’ve done start to finish all on my own and to quote another thread on here “they didn’t blow my face off!” It’s an awesome day for sure.

52eac548bcb6799361210630b729d1b9.jpg

The 300 WSM (actually the entire family of WSMs) is a joy to work with. I have no doubt you'll enjoy the accuracy you achieve with this cartridge. I believe you had a fine teacher.

Excellent work.

I really enjoy the 300WSM. It's easy to load for and performs great in the field.

It's always a good day when your face stays intact.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

ronc80":3ijdfuxw said:
It's always a good day when your face stays intact.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

That is about as true as it gets!

Yep, I have been very fortunate to have a great teacher who puts up with a barrage of questions and hypotheticals, as well as a wealth of knowledge on this forum. I’m still getting used to the wsm compared to my trusty 7mm but so far I really like the rifle and the cartridge. As far as the load goes. All I’ve been able to get my hands on is reloader 22. So I went with that, 67grains per nosler manual behind a 180 grain ballistic tip. CCI magnum rifle primer. The group was subpar, but that was more likely me than anything. If anyone has any advice or suggestions i would be grateful to hear them! but other powders may have to wait until things are more available.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mmann":2u7r7n3i said:
. If anyone has any advice or suggestions i would be grateful to hear them! but other powders may have to wait until things are more available.

I've had very good results with RL17 out of the .300WSM but my best results are from Hybrid 100V (which is oddly, usually more available).

Hybrid100V doesn't deliver top velocity, but ES and SD numbers are single digit and accuracy is first rate. It's just very consistent in my rifle.

Also a WSM fan. Have had good luck with many bullets and powder working for it.

I did have some squirreliness due to the Tupperware stock…replaced it with a bell and Carlson and the squirrels disappeared. What I’d see is shots touching, then one 3 or 4” left or right, but SubMOA vertically…

Winchester 760 and RL26 and H4831, H4831SC all were sub Moa with solid velocities in 180gn bullets(Nosler, Sierra, Hornady) Previous owner used 150gn partitions with H4831SC and those grouped well too.

Welcome to the WSM family.

I haven’t seen a 6.5WSM wildcat, but have a hard time thinking no ones tried that. Also the 6.8 Western, is basically a 270WSM with some throat modifications to allow heavy for weight bullets to be loaded longer…

I think I need a 7mm WSM.

HodgemanAK":1qjkik81 said:
Mmann":1qjkik81 said:
. If anyone has any advice or suggestions i would be grateful to hear them! but other powders may have to wait until things are more available.

I've had very good results with RL17 out of the .300WSM but my best results are from Hybrid 100V (which is oddly, usually more available).

Hybrid100V doesn't deliver top velocity, but ES and SD numbers are single digit and accuracy is first rate. It's just very consistent in my rifle.
Thanks for the feedback! I’ve been looking around for hybrid 100v but it’s been super scarce around me. Same with anything RL. Hopefully that changes in the not too distant future.

mjcmichigan":2x5ko72n said:
Also a WSM fan. Have had good luck with many bullets and powder working for it.

I did have some squirreliness due to the Tupperware stock…replaced it with a bell and Carlson and the squirrels disappeared. What I’d see is shots touching, then one 3 or 4” left or right, but SubMOA vertically…

Winchester 760 and RL26 and H4831, H4831SC all were sub Moa with solid velocities in 180gn bullets(Nosler, Sierra, Hornady) Previous owner used 150gn partitions with H4831SC and those grouped well too.

Welcome to the WSM family.

I haven’t seen a 6.5WSM wildcat, but have a hard time thinking no ones tried that. Also the 6.8 Western, is basically a 270WSM with some throat modifications to allow heavy for weight bullets to be loaded longer…

I think I need a 7mm WSM.

That’s actually really interesting, that’s exactly what it was doing. The or four would group nice then I’d get a flyer. I’m still not ready to rule my own twitchy finger out yet though haha. I am super excited for more supplies to become available. I love the wsm so far and can’t wait to get it more dialed in and really comfortable with it. Definitely feel like I opened a Pandora’s box with my interest in short action magnums now. Haha.

Back