Savage 111 New Project Rifle Turning into 35 Whelen

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Howdy all!

I finally got around to trading for a Savage 111 in .270 Win, but she’s not going to stay in that caliber. As you might have noticed above, I’m going to switch her barrel out for either an ER Shaw 24 inch, 1 in 14 inch twist, stainless barrel kit on Midway USA website, or get a Shilen barrel in the same 35 Whelen.

As some on here have known, I’ve been bit by the 35 Whelen bug, yet again, and am now going to cure that bite by making this rifle into a long awaited 35 Whelen.

Do any of you think I should have the barrel threaded, and put a muzzle brake on, or do you think the rifle will be heavy enough as is?

Anything else I should do, if anyone else can think of something?

Hawk
a5348ffae0f5a4d222565a2bd500e4bd.jpg

d9ad82e2645b0fca2aa7905e0b486ddf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Watching with interest. I have same Savage model in 3006 now. When it’s time to replace the barrel, it will become a Whelan 35. Have three other 30 calibers. Would be great to have something by between 45/70 and 308 calibers (3030, 3006, 300 WSM, and 300 WM)

I wasn’t planning on braking it.

I use 3006 for trigger practice. Mostly 180gns.

mjcmichigan":31kgux6m said:
Watching with interest. I have same Savage model in 3006 now. When it’s time to replace the barrel, it will become a Whelan 35. Have three other 30 calibers. Would be great to have something by between 45/70 and 308 calibers (3030, 3006, 300 WSM, and 300 WM)

I wasn’t planning on braking it.

I use 3006 for trigger practice. Mostly 180gns.

I want to change the barrel out so bad right now, but have to wait on the funds to get it until next month.
I wanted to get a long action Savage 111 for a while now, so I could buy the exchange barrels from Midway USA. I’ve been thinking about it for a little over 3 years now. I’m going to make it happen!
I’m not going to shoot the .270, and I don’t know if the barrel is done.
As others have said on this forum, don’t shoot the project gun! LOL

I think I’m not going to put a brake on it either. It should be heavy enough to absorb the recoil on its own.

Hawk

Hawk,

I don't think a muzzle brake is necessary for the 35 Whelen. Instead, get a grind to fit Pachmyer Magnum Decelerator recoil pad.

JD338

And check out Northland Shooters Supply for barrels Hawk. They’re good people to keep in business.

JD338":2ybcbcsx said:
Hawk,

I don't think a muzzle brake is necessary for the 35 Whelen. Instead, get a grind to fit Pachmyer Magnum Decelerator recoil pad.

JD338
Yes, that is on the short list as well.
Thank you for your advice, it’s always greatly appreciated.

Hawk

SJB358":1334ymae said:
And check out Northland Shooters Supply for barrels Hawk. They’re good people to keep in business.
Oooo! I’m going to check them out right now.
Every bit of knowledge about gun parts suppliers helps.

Hawk

I’m laughing about not shooting the project gun…

I’m wondering if I can shoot out the barrel on the ole 3006 short of trying to burn the throat out on purpose…

It’s kinda the designated back up gun for all hunts now…but it probably gets shot the most, it’s on its third scope.
Two Nikons, and currently wearing the 1-6x Leupold HD5 30mm tube. I’m comfortable with it. I should just change it to a Whelan.

I don't think you'll need a muzzle brake on you .35 Whelen. I have three, a 22" Ruger M77, a Remington M700 Classic that really is a bit too light, .22" barrel and a custom Mauser with 24" barrel. The Mauser is just fine regarding recoil, the Ruger a it light but not bad. The Remington kicks the hardest and I will be replacing the recoil pad which has gotten harder as it aged.
Paul B.

PJGunner":392pfbvt said:
I don't think you'll need a muzzle brake on you .35 Whelen. I have three, a 22" Ruger M77, a Remington M700 Classic that really is a bit too light, .22" barrel and a custom Mauser with 24" barrel. The Mauser is just fine regarding recoil, the Ruger a it light but not bad. The Remington kicks the hardest and I will be replacing the recoil pad which has gotten harder as it aged.
Paul B.
Outstanding!
Yeah, I’m of the old school where I didn’t start using muzzle brakes. I see the advantage, but the increased noise on my end isn’t helpful.

Hawk

Ok!!!

So I’ve found a barrel switch kit that is $206 for a .338-06!
The barrel switch kit for 35 Whelen is $239!
The .338-06 barrel has a 1 in 10 inch twist.
The 35 Whelen has the 1 in 14.

I’m now thinking.338-06 due to handling heavier bullets, and better BC, and SD. Plus, there seems to be a plethora of .338 around as well.

What would everyone else pick?

Hawk

Can’t argue against what you choose.
Surprisingly my cheap little Savage 111 in 270 shot better right out of the box than any rifle I have purchased.
Never had a 35 Whelen, but my brother has had good success with his over the years.

HAWKEYESATX":cy3jjk3n said:
Ok!!!

So I’ve found a barrel switch kit that is $206 for a .338-06!
The barrel switch kit for 35 Whelen is $239!
The .338-06 barrel has a 1 in 10 inch twist.
The 35 Whelen has the 1 in 14.

I’m now thinking.338-06 due to handling heavier bullets, and better BC, and SD. Plus, there seems to be a plethora of .338 around as well.

What would everyone else pick?

Hawk

Whichever calls your name with nice little whispers.

FOTIS":2tfc4imf said:
35 whelen
That’s what I’m leaning more towards.

A classic round seems to be calling my name.

Hawk

FOTIS":el6n4clu said:
No muzzle brakes. X caliber bolt-on barrel
+1 here, you won’t be disappointed. I love that your going with the Whelen as I’m kicking around the idea myself. Just my personal opinion, please give it no more thought than that, a muzzle break on a hunting rifle throws brush, leaves, grass, and tree bark in your face. Btw, don’t lay it across the hood of your truck and shoot it with a muzzle break. Speaking for a friend. LOL.

Hawk,
Don't worry about the 1:14 barrel twist, it will stabilize the 250 gr bullets just fine. My 700 Classic 35 Whelen has a 1:16 twist and does just fine with 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets.

JD338

JD338":12nwzs3i said:
Hawk,
Don't worry about the 1:14 barrel twist, it will stabilize the 250 gr bullets just fine. My 700 Classic 35 Whelen has a 1:16 twist and does just fine with 200, 225 and 250 gr bullets.

JD338
Will the 1 in 14 stabilize a 275gr, and up to a 285gr bullet? Or even up to the 310gr?

Hawk

Joec7651":3t8dgnh8 said:
FOTIS":3t8dgnh8 said:
No muzzle brakes. X caliber bolt-on barrel
+1 here, you won’t be disappointed. I love that your going with the Whelen as I’m kicking around the idea myself. Just my personal opinion, please give it no more thought than that, I HATE the way a muzzle break looks on a hunting rifle, and you brush leaves, grass, and tree bark out of your face. Btw, don’t lay it across the hood of your truck and shoot it with a muzzle break. Speaking for a friend. LOL.
I guess I’m old enough that when I started shooting and hunting there weren’t any muzzle brakes, so I don’t really know what it’s like to use one.
I’m guessing you “friend” has burn or scorch marks on their truck hood?!? LOL

Hawk

Back