Recently Acquired Sporter VZ-24 in 8mm Mauser

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Hello All!

Although the rifle I just acquired is old, and a little beat up, I think it has a lot of potential.
It’s a Sporterized VZ-24 in 8mm Mauser (7.92x57 JS).
I’m looking to see which loads y’all may have come up with to use for hunting. If so, what kind of game have you used the old warhorse 8mm Mauser to hunt, and what kind of game can I hunt with it?
It’s funny how things end up working out, and now I have a trio of old Mauser hunting rifles to use.

Please impart your knowledge to me about my new “toy”.

Hawk
17fdf22511615900ee4a43aa908773d5.jpg

89903c3f5c0de6c866d4d9a68b74fba5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8x57 IS is still used quite a lot here in Germany.
New bullets and powders make her deliver, even though the pressure is limited.
It is not shooting as flat as others, but brings down everything walking in our woods.
That is large boar and red stag at the upper side.
If you keep your distances reasonably and put the right bullets in, I don't see much you can't hunt with it in North America.
Just make sure it is the IS, not the IR version.
They changed bullet diameter way back...

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

The 8X57 IS works quite well for game throughout NA. I've loaded for several with excellent results. Wouldn't mind having one, just 'cause. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt moose, elk, deer varieties and black bear. It may not be my first choice going up against a grizzly, but it would be better than a stick in the eye. Allied forces respected the round when it was used against them. Effectively, anything an '06 will do, the venerable old German can do.

noslerpartition":35b2myoq said:
8x57 IS is still used quite a lot here in Germany.
New bullets and powders make her deliver, even though the pressure is limited.
It is not shooting as flat as others, but brings down everything walking in our woods.
That is large boar and red stag at the upper side.
If you keep your distances reasonably and put the right bullets in, I don't see much you can't hunt with it in North America.
Just make sure it is the IS, not the IR version.
They changed bullet diameter way back...

Thank you for your knowledge.
Yes, it’s the IS bore (.323).
Plus, it’s rimless.
I look forward to using it here.

Hawk

DrMike":3lf4to93 said:
The 8X57 IS works quite well for game throughout NA. I've loaded for several with excellent results. Wouldn't mind having one, just 'cause. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt moose, elk, deer varieties and black bear. It may not be my first choice going up against a grizzly, but it would be better than a stick in the eye. Allied forces respected the round when it was used against them. Effectively, anything an '06 will do, the venerable old German can do.
That a really good range of game animals that I can use it to go after.

Yeah, the good Ol’ MG-42 machine gun made a lot of American GI’s respect the round, one in particular, my grandfather, who was a Combat Medic during WWII.

I wonder why it didn’t gain more of a following over here after the war years?

It seems to be one of those classic can do all cartridges, except for the big bears, as you mentioned DrMike.

I hope to load for it here shortly and see what the old gal can do.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":17ncyoqo said:
I wonder why it didn’t gain more of a following over here after the war years?

It seems to be one of those classic can do all cartridges, except for the big bears, as you mentioned DrMike.

It didn't gain a following for the same reason the Arisaka didn't gain a following--too many Allies were killed with those rifles. It does require time to allow the bitterness of war to pass. Also, there was a plethora of '06 rifles available with more than adequate ammunition. Still, the 8X57 is a capable round that will get the job done when placed in the right hands.

As the Doc said.
On your side of the pond you had the 30-06, on our side the 8x57 was used for some time.
Oddly, is was mostly replaced by the 30-06 over the years, though they are not too far apart

It is a very good round, like many others out there. The 6,5x55 is not far from the Creedmoor.
The 7x57 is close to the 7-08.
8x68 would still be great if it was adapted in the US.
7x64 isn't far from the 270 win.
Over the last 100 years many new cartridges came up. Few are really better than the old ones.
But hey - new is sexy and the US market influenceses what's bought worldwide.
Your market is larger than any other and if a producer wants to earn money, they produce what's wanted in the US.

I built an 8X68, and it is a thumper. I loved by 325WSM, but when an offer to buy came from an unexpected source, I didn't hesitate primarily because the ballistics on the 8X68 mimicked the 325WSM. Great cartridge. I have a 7X57 which I love. It wouldn't take much to convince me that I had to have a 7X64, which mimics my 280 Rem. You are correct in noting that not much new can be produced, though it is possible to refine what already exists. I do love all the new cartridges, but I've never noted one to kill game any deader than the older cartridges.

My dad, has a 6.5x55 and about 5 years ago, he bought me a 7x57. Flash forward a few years ago and I decided I had to have a 8x57. So, I set out to buy one in a modern action because I wanted to load for it like it was meant to be. I wound up buying a Sauer 100 Ceratech in the ol' 8x57.

I started load development immediately with a 150gr Hornady Interlock and H4895. I killed a few whitetails that fall with that load. Expansion was great, velocity was right up there with the 30-06.
PGKPIM.jpg

tQW8tq.jpg

The following year, I played around with lots of different bullets and powders just experimenting. VARGET, CFE 223, Ramshot BigGame, IMR 4064, and Winchester 748 have all been winners with my particular rifle. I even shot some IMR 4350 with some 200gr Accubonds but the velocity was not what is advertised in the Nosler Manual. At any rate, in my particular rifle, Ive had fantastic accuracy.
Ive shot tried lots of different bullets, from 150gr Hornadys and Speer Hot Cors, 170gr Hornady SST, 170gr Roundnose Interlocks, 170gr Speer Semi SP, Ive shot the Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tips, and 200gr Accubonds, and lately, Ive been shooting some Sierra 175gr ProHunters.
1VCw4o.jpg

I bought some LAPUA and Privi Partisan brass when I first bought the rifle, but lately, out of boredom, and looking to expand my knowledge, I have been forming brass from 30-06 / 270 brass. The ones in the picture are 170gr Hornady SSTs loaded in nickel plated 280rem brass. If your interested in doing this, send me a PM and Ill share my method on how I form mine.
Vveg3A.jpg

Ive killed deer with 150's, 170's, and the 180's and all of them kill whitetail deer with zero
complaints. I even developed a load to Wild Boar hunt with using VARGET and a 200gr AccuBond but I didnt get to try it out.
Typically I get decent velocities out of my rifle, which has a 22'' barrel on it. Below are a few velocities Ive recorded with various bullets.
170gr Speer HotCor loaded with Ramshot BigGame - 2694fps
170gr. SST loaded with Win 748 - 2728fps
175gr Sierra ProHunter loaded with CFE 223 - 2781fps
180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded with IMR 4064 - 2598fps
200gr Nosler AccuBond loaded with VARGET - 2541fps

170gr Hornady SST sample of expansion
CCZw1N.jpg

jhEnoM.jpg

Overall, I'll go out on a limb and say that I wouldn't hesitate to carry my 8x57 on any hunt in North America. It is without a doubt, not the newest, or most popular cartridge in my stable or anyone elses for that matter, but it is possibly one of the most rewarding and funnest cartridges to load for in my experience. For a woods carry rifle to anything inside of 400yds, I dont think you'll ever find any flies on the 8x57. Its accurate, more than enough power/energy, and doesnt kick your brains out. That being said, you may not come to the same conclusions that I have nor experience the same enjoyment but I hope you find good accuracy and come to appreciate the old classic german the way that I have.
z0gplQ.jpg

Great rifle Hawk! I keep telling you guys that Hot-Cor’s aren’t just for plinking. They will accurately haul the mail, expand to a perfect mushroom, penetrate deep, and hold together on game. That being said I’m looking for a M48 Yugoslavian Mauser now. Beautiful service rifle.

DrMike":2a4f4nxl said:
I built an 8X68, and it is a thumper. I loved by 325WSM, but when an offer to buy came from an unexpected source, I didn't hesitate primarily because the ballistics on the 8X68 mimicked the 325WSM. Great cartridge. I have a 7X57 which I love. It wouldn't take much to convince me that I had to have a 7X64, which mimics my 280 Rem. You are correct in noting that not much new can be produced, though it is possible to refine what already exists. I do love all the new cartridges, but I've never noted one to kill game any deader than the older cartridges.
You are very correct!
I guess I’m one of those that use older cartridges more than newer.
Not that the newer ones aren’t, or won’t do the same job.
I’m of the mind, if it still works, why fix it?
But that’s me.

Hawk

noslerpartition":w2p8btua said:
As the Doc said.
On your side of the pond you had the 30-06, on our side the 8x57 was used for some time.
Oddly, is was mostly replaced by the 30-06 over the years, though they are not too far apart

It is a very good round, like many others out there. The 6,5x55 is not far from the Creedmoor.
Over the last 100 years many new cartridges came up. Few are really better than the old ones.
Your market is larger than any other and if a producer wants to earn money, they produce what's wanted in the US.

I agree fully.
It’s a shame the 8x57 IS has been ignored here.
But I look at it this way.
There are a lot of inexpensive components out there for it. Which is good for us that have and shoot one.
I’ll like it. It’s still kicking around, so it’s hung around for this long, it’s gotta be good.

Hawk

6.5_sWv":1esdgrb4 said:
My dad, has a 6.5x55 and about 5 years ago, he bought me a 7x57. Flash forward a few years ago and I decided I had to have a 8x57. So, I set out to buy one in a modern action because I wanted to load for it like it was meant to be. I wound up buying a Sauer 100 Ceratech in the ol' 8x57.

I started load development immediately with a 150gr Hornady Interlock and H4895. I killed a few whitetails that fall with that load. Expansion was great, velocity was right up there with the 30-06.
PGKPIM.jpg

tQW8tq.jpg

The following year, I played around with lots of different bullets and powders just experimenting. VARGET, CFE 223, Ramshot BigGame, IMR 4064, and Winchester 748 have all been winners with my particular rifle. I even shot some IMR 4350 with some 200gr Accubonds but the velocity was not what is advertised in the Nosler Manual. At any rate, in my particular rifle, Ive had fantastic accuracy.
Ive shot tried lots of different bullets, from 150gr Hornadys and Speer Hot Cors, 170gr Hornady SST, 170gr Roundnose Interlocks, 170gr Speer Semi SP, Ive shot the Nosler 180gr Ballistic Tips, and 200gr Accubonds, and lately, Ive been shooting some Sierra 175gr ProHunters.
1VCw4o.jpg

I bought some LAPUA and Privi Partisan brass when I first bought the rifle, but lately, out of boredom, and looking to expand my knowledge, I have been forming brass from 30-06 / 270 brass. The ones in the picture are 170gr Hornady SSTs loaded in nickel plated 280rem brass. If your interested in doing this, send me a PM and Ill share my method on how I form mine.
Vveg3A.jpg

Ive killed deer with 150's, 170's, and the 180's and all of them kill whitetail deer with zero
complaints. I even developed a load to Wild Boar hunt with using VARGET and a 200gr AccuBond but I didnt get to try it out.
Typically I get decent velocities out of my rifle, which has a 22'' barrel on it. Below are a few velocities Ive recorded with various bullets.
170gr Speer HotCor loaded with Ramshot BigGame - 2694fps
170gr. SST loaded with Win 748 - 2728fps
175gr Sierra ProHunter loaded with CFE 223 - 2781fps
180gr Nosler Ballistic Tip loaded with IMR 4064 - 2598fps
200gr Nosler AccuBond loaded with VARGET - 2541fps

170gr Hornady SST sample of expansion
CCZw1N.jpg

jhEnoM.jpg

Overall, I'll go out on a limb and say that I wouldn't hesitate to carry my 8x57 on any hunt in North America. It is without a doubt, not the newest, or most popular cartridge in my stable or anyone elses for that matter, but it is possibly one of the most rewarding and funnest cartridges to load for in my experience. For a woods carry rifle to anything inside of 400yds, I dont think you'll ever find any flies on the 8x57. Its accurate, more than enough power/energy, and doesnt kick your brains out. That being said, you may not come to the same conclusions that I have nor experience the same enjoyment but I hope you find good accuracy and come to appreciate the old classic german the way that I have.
z0gplQ.jpg
Outstanding stuff there!

Love the pics! They always help with the narrative!

Hawk

Joec7651":1nnnn4yg said:
Great rifle Hawk! I keep telling you guys that Hot-Cor’s aren’t just for plinking. They will accurately haul the mail, expand to a perfect mushroom, penetrate deep, and hold together on game. That being said I’m looking for a M48 Yugoslavian Mauser now. Beautiful service rifle.
Thank you!

I don’t doubt it at all that the Hot-Cors are excellent bullets.
They used to make an excellent 270 gr one for the 444 Marlin.
They just plain work well when used!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":1azerxd6 said:
noslerpartition":1azerxd6 said:
As the Doc said.

I agree fully.
It’s a shame the 8x57 IS has been ignored here.
But I look at it this way.
There are a lot of inexpensive components out there for it. Which is good for us that have and shoot one.
I’ll like it. It’s still kicking around, so it’s hung around for this long, it’s gotta be good.

Hawk
I guess because your 30-06 is a close copy.
A bit faster, lighter bullets (usually,at least back when both were introduced).
I guess availability was much better for the 30-06, so it spread more than the 8x57.
For most you don't see a difference.
Well, you do. More American rifles are chambered in 30-06, more ammo available.
So it was an easy choice for people buying rifles and ammo off the shelf.

Hawk,

Congratulations on your new 8mm Mauser. A cartridge rich in history.
6.5_sWv,
Nice write up. You have certainly put some time into the 8mm Mauser and it reflects in the success you have had.
Nice work!

JD338

JD338":177uc4lk said:
Hawk,

Congratulations on your new 8mm Mauser. A cartridge rich in history.
6.5_sWv,
Nice write up. You have certainly put some time into the 8mm Mauser and it reflects in the success you have had.
Nice work!

JD338
Thank you!

I agree 6.5_sWv did do a great write up.

I’m glad he knows about the cartridge too.

Hawk

HAWK, congrats on picking up a piece of history that you'll be able to use and enjoy. I think you'll find it's a fun cartridge to load for, you'll have a decent selection of bullets to choose from and you'll be able to tackle most any animal in North America.

I love loading for my 8x57 and I love carrying it in the woods because if you ever run into to anyone you get some strange looks when you tell them what your carrying. Most people don't even have a clue when you DO explain it to them.

If you need anymore info, and that goes for anyone for that matter, please PM me. I don't claim to be an expert but I'll share anything I do know.

6.5_sWv":3tsccucf said:
HAWK, congrats on picking up a piece of history that you'll be able to use and enjoy. I think you'll find it's a fun cartridge to load for, you'll have a decent selection of bullets to choose from and you'll be able to tackle most any animal in North America.

I love loading for my 8x57 and I love carrying it in the woods because if you ever run into to anyone you get some strange looks when you tell them what your carrying. Most people don't even have a clue when you DO explain it to them.

If you need anymore info, and that goes for anyone for that matter, please PM me. I don't claim to be an expert but I'll share anything I do know.
Thank you!

I always like a cartridge that is easy to load. Takes a lot of guess work out of it.
Gotta love a round that can take any North American game animal.

Hawk

Well so much for the 35 Whelen. Not really needed anymore! LOL

Back