Fur Friendly .223 Rem load

Scrumbag

Beginner
Feb 22, 2021
Hi folks,

Looking for a fur friendly .223 Rem bullet. I am under instruction that some nice fox pelts are required.

I've never hunted for fur before so wondering what people recommend?

I'm tempted to try the Nosler Ballistic Tips Lead Free but not sure if they wouldn't leave a large hole.

Thanks in advance,

M

Depends a bit on the distance and where you hit.
I noticed that it is a 50:50 chance with varmint bullets.
Sometimes no exit, sometimes massive.
You might have better success with a lead free bullet like Barnes, thought they sometimes walk a bit with little blood on the track. Depending on terrain they might be harder to find.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Man, if it were me, I’d probably load a 35-40 grain bullet and likely not at anywhere near max speeds. I’d want something that will have no chance of making it through on a body shot. Something like a 40 grain BT at under 3000 would be my first thought. A Barnes sounds good but you’re always going to get an exit and if you connect with any bone it’ll just be that much messier.

SJB358":utvubqry said:
Man, if it were me, I’d probably load a 35-40 grain bullet and likely not at anywhere near max speeds. I’d want something that will have no chance of making it through on a body shot. Something like a 40 grain BT at under 3000 would be my first thought. A Barnes sounds good but you’re always going to get an exit and if you connect with any bone it’ll just be that much messier.

Sounds like solid advice. Monolithic bullets at lower velocity would be my inclination.

I have shot several coyotes with a 50 gr BT out of a 22-250. Most bullets exited on lung shots with exits about 3/4-1". I did also shoot one coyote with a 35 gr. lead free and it exited through the slats. Same size exit as I recall.

JD338

I found that taxidermist don't have much of a problem stitching up one hole if it is not too big.
If the bullet makes it though a coyote, it will not be stopped by a fox.
I asked a friend about his experiences with the light, lead free Barnes (varmint granade I think) I loaded for him. Will let you know

Edit: bullets exit quite often

BTW: I cannot recommend standard lead bullets from a 22 Hornet within 100y.
Ruined a few pelts on foxes...

So folks, what do we reckon?

I have some:

62gr Federal Fusion (Factory) - Deer bullet really but not too soft.
65gr Sierra SBT - Not many of these sadly. Hard to come by
55gr Nosler E-Tip. Plan on developing a load for these, probably a bit over 3250 fps
58gr Peregrine VLR4 - Another non-lead bullet

I can also get easily some 60gr Nosler Ballistic tips (Varmint)

So, thoughts would be very much welcomed!

233 REM 40 grain VMax don’t exit a coyote. Very pelt friendly.

Consider that at the Varmint Grenades at 36 grains as well.

Both fragment and kill quick.

I think I’ve loaded the VG over IMR4198 middle loads. Was a finicky gun. Didn’t like anything bigger that 40 gn.

I’d have to contact the guy who I made them for the recipe. My notes left in a flood.

For pelts, go as light as you can.

Else you’ll have pass thru’s and expansion will determine the exit hole

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've standardized on the 70 gr AB in my 22 Nosler. It opens up on woodchucks and coyotes but you will have an exit wound.

JD338

Well.

On foxes you might end up with no up to large exit holes with varmint loads. Experience with e.g.36 gr Barnes varmint granades from a short 223.
Or with an exit all the time, but usually smaller with a hard bullet.

Either way, you might loose some of the pelts with 223.
Take a 17 Hornet or similar if you want to be (more) sure the pelt stays intact.
A fox isn't enough to stop a 223 all the time

NP, really good suggestions on the 17 cal.

Trapping allowed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In the .223 your best bets are either a FMJ that will pencil through or something like a Varmint Grenade that won't exit at all. Either way, that's a lot of gun for a fox. Maybe some reduced loads that slow it down.

Depending on where/how you hunt, something like a .22WMR or Hornet might be a much better bet. Although, I've found a Duke 1 and a 1/2 coil spring doesn't damage pelts either!

Haven't used on fur and not one of the bullets you listed as having but the Sierra 77gr match hp with 23-23.5 grs of CFE223 does great on turkeys for me having shot 5 with very little meat damage. Exit wound was hardly noticeable to about 5/8 in depending on the distance and if wing butt was hit. Most times it's a pass thru not much bigger than bullet diameter. Dan.

Sounds like it acted like a FMJ.
Foxes might run and be hard to find without a dog with shots like that.
After quite a few foxes I can say that neither I or friends found a 223 bullet that reliably puts a fox down and leaves the pelt in intact.
With that purpose, I would go for a 17 caliber or trap.
A 22lr to the head does no damage to the pelt...

The little 55gr E-Tip is pelt friendly and kills instantly. Exit is roughly the size of a quarter. The exit side of this coyote is facing up so you can see there is minimal pelt damage. They work.A41A2C16-4AC1-4A58-A9B8-69FF61534646.jpeg0C8BC38F-92AA-4C70-A964-D1DE3ADC6049.jpeg

Thanks for the input folks.

Sadly don't have a 17 and after getting a few pelts I doubt I'd be planning on using it much after that.

Do have a .22lr and perhaps some Hi-Vel might be for it. Just started developing load for the E-Tips so that might be a good thing.

M

Forgot to say. The bullet entered just in front of the left shoulder, almost the chest. It exited just in front of the right rear ham of the side showing.

noslerpartition":3fo6b2d8 said:
Sounds like it acted like a FMJ.
Foxes might run and be hard to find without a dog with shots like that.
After quite a few foxes I can say that neither I or friends found a 223 bullet that reliably puts a fox down and leaves the pelt in intact.
With that purpose, I would go for a 17 caliber or trap.
A 22lr to the head does no damage to the pelt...

Well not quite like a FMJ but the internal damage is sufficient to kill turkeys without damaging much meat. All in where they're hit and how much velocity is left. Works for me. Dan.

Putting the groceries in the freezer is what it’s all about. That’s why we use different bullets for certain game species. Some have simply shown they work better than others.

Joec7651":3kpjwrkw said:
The little 55gr E-Tip is pelt friendly and kills instantly. Exit is roughly the size of a quarter. The exit side of this coyote is facing up so you can see there is minimal pelt damage. They work.View attachment 1

Now that's encouraging.

Just about to work up a load for the E-Tips.

M

Back