Think I'm getting somewhere with a .44 mag lever load

Scrumbag

Beginner
Feb 22, 2021
Well folks,

After a fair bit of trying, think I have an OK hunting load for the .44 mag.

Vihtavouri N110 powder
Magtech Large Pistol Primer
Nosler JSP 240gr

The below is just a 4 shot group from the ladder and I reckon the top right is a pull.

raNYXCJl.jpg

Only 50 yds but I reckon a place to investigate further. Decided to ditch H110 as think really needs a magnum pistol primer and they aren't the easiest of things to find where I am and I was getting very sooty cases with H110 and usually 2 "groups" when I shot, split by elevation.

I will load up some more with that charge weight and report back.

Best wishes,

Muntjac

Find your max OAL and shorten it about .020”. You can set the expander die to deeply bell the case in order for the bullet to not get stuck in the rifling. Being a rifle you don’t have to stay within cylinder length. Ignore the cannelure. Being closer to the rifling may raise pressure and give a cleaner powder burn as well.

What rifle are you shooting?
I'm using the Nosler 240 gr JHP in my Marlin 1894 with 23.5 grs H110 for 2-3" groups at 100 yards. Where I use this rifle, 50 yards is a long shot. In my wife's Ruger 77/44, groups are 1.5-2". Interesting, in my S&W 629 Classic, it will shoot a ragged hole group at 50 yards.

JD338

JD, I let a 44 Magnum go years ago that I still wish I hadn’t. It was a 7 1/2” barreled Ruger Super Blackhawk with Hogue grip, and a 2.5 fixed power scope. Win brass with a Hornady book max load of Win 296, WLPM primers, and 240gr XTP would put 3 in 1 1/2” at 100yds off a sandbag. Good lord that thing had heavy recoil. Shot a squirrel with it once though. Penetration was great! LOL

Joec7651":1osb698q said:
JD, I let a 44 Magnum go years ago that I still wish I hadn’t. It was a 7 1/2” barreled Ruger Super Blackhawk with Hogue grip, and a 2.5 fixed power scope. Win brass with a Hornady book max load of Win 296, WLPM primers, and 240gr XTP would put 3 in 1 1/2” at 100yds off a sandbag. Good lord that thing had heavy recoil. Shot a squirrel with it once though. Penetration was great! LOL
Joe,
I had the same revolver. The wooden grips rolled in your hand and it was tough to hold on to with heavy loads. I put a Pachmyer grip on it and it wasn't bad to shoot. I sold it and bought a S&W 629 Classic.
Did you recover the bullet? :)

JD338

Joec7651":1c08t86h said:
Find your max OAL and shorten it about .020”. You can set the expander die to deeply bell the case in order for the bullet to not get stuck in the rifling. Being a rifle you don’t have to stay within cylinder length. Ignore the cannelure. Being closer to the rifling may raise pressure and give a cleaner powder burn as well.

Hi Joe, that might not have been a bad idea.

However, having found a load that looks like it will work, I'm tempted to stay with it.

This has more to do with being able to get a) Large Pistol primers much easier where I am than Magnum and 2) Viht N110 will have a lot less patchy supply than Hodgdon H110 (All Hodgdon powders are hard to get here and set to continue whilst the US is on a buying spree)

Best wishes,

Muntjac

JD338":x0jwuwma said:
What rifle are you shooting?
I'm using the Nosler 240 gr JHP in my Marlin 1894 with 23.5 grs H110 for 2-3" groups at 100 yards. Where I use this rifle, 50 yards is a long shot. In my wife's Ruger 77/44, groups are 1.5-2". Interesting, in my S&W 629 Classic, it will shoot a ragged hole group at 50 yards.

JD338

Hi JD338,

Think I have posted it before but this:

Chiappa Alaskan, 20" barrel. Currently with a Leupold 2.5x28 Scout Scope

ju8Ssv9l.jpg

Skinner carry case:

aOppM28l.jpg

E1a0zd9l.jpg

Reckon should be good for a cleaning kit / rod and an MTM box of 50 rds.

El1Owhvl.jpg

And when you unpack it:

SZkmfbSl.jpg

Hm8K79Cl.jpg

And out on the range:

8vXPHrWl.jpg

ATB,

Muntjac

Muntjac":1khuoqle said:
JD338":1khuoqle said:
Yup, I remember now. Nice handy rig.

JD338

Thanks, let's just hope I can put it to some good use!

M
Fingers crossed for ya buddy. The 44 Magnum is a hammer on WT deer. Big entrance hole and bigger exits leak a lot of blood.
This doe was shot at 50 yards. She went about 40 yards and the blood trail was impressive.

JD338

Attachments

• IMG_20141208_172046_526.jpg
    IMG_20141208_172046_526.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 353
Muntjac":i1ab355i said:
Joec7651":i1ab355i said:

However, having found a load that looks like it will work, I'm tempted to stay with it.

This has more to do with being able to get a) Large Pistol primers much easier where I am than Magnum and 2) Viht N110 will have a lot less patchy supply than Hodgdon H110 (All Hodgdon powders are hard to get here and set to continue whilst the US is on a buying spree)

Best wishes,

Muntjac
I don’t blame you a bit. If you have your load already set, then I wouldn’t change it either. That Take down rifle has really caught my eye. That is a super handy rifle to have. I love it, great rifle.

JD338":3jyb54dz said:
Muntjac":3jyb54dz said:
JD338":3jyb54dz said:
Yup, I remember now. Nice handy rig.

JD338

Thanks, let's just hope I can put it to some good use!

M
Fingers crossed for ya buddy. The 44 Magnum is a hammer on WT deer. Big entrance hole and bigger exits leak a lot of blood.
This doe was shot at 50 yards. She went about 40 yards and the blood trail was impressive.

JD338

Well done sir! Good result indeed!

Joec7651":nzcfdqel said:
Muntjac":nzcfdqel said:
Joec7651":nzcfdqel said:

Best wishes,

Muntjac
I don’t blame you a bit. If you have your load already set, then I wouldn’t change it either. That Take down rifle has really caught my eye. That is a super handy rifle to have. I love it, great rifle.

Thanks Joe, my first centrefire lever action (Had a Winchester 9422 previously as my only lever experience).

The rifle is very different to my bolt action experience but it sure is fun.

Not sure on the load yet, that was only one group but hopefully we can duplicate it in the not too distant future.

If we can do it though, I think I know where there is another box of 250 of those Nosler JSPs

Muntjac

Back