9.3x62 Mauser

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I know some of you have the 9.3x62 on here.

I just realized, that if I ever make it over to Africa, that the 9.3x62 is the minimum cartridge in several countries there.

So, what has been your experience with the round?
Would a 22 inch barrel be a detriment to the cartridge?

Plus, if I have a thumper like that, I’m going to use it here in the States as well.
I’m wondering what range of game I can use it on here?

I await the wisdom of those who already have it.

Hawk

Mine wears a 24" barrel. With the high expansion ratio of the cartridge to bore volume, I don't that you will see a significant impact going from a 24" to a 22" barrel.

SJB358":31efka2y said:
Mines a 22” barrel and I love it!
Scotty

Did you have it rebored and rechambered?

What powders now help to kinda jazz it up?

Does it have a good selection of bullets to choose from?

How are the velocities out of the 22 inch barrel?

I’m thinking about sending one of my ‘06’s off to JES to have them make it into a 9.3x62 now, instead of a 338-06.

I do love a cartridge that can take care of business with 1 shot.

Hawk

The 9,3 X 62 can have different faces, depending on bullet and loads.
Originally, it was designed for heavy bullets and shorter ranges. It is slow even starting and many bullets had a bad BC.
Today, it is still no race horse, but options are better.
That being said: purely looking at the energy, the 9,3 can do nothing better than e.g. a 300 mag. Or larger 8 mm.
But with bullets in the 280 gr range, it delivers quite a punch on shorter ranges.
So, for longer shots she wouldn't be my first choice. For driven hunts, where you want game to go down quickly, it still sees frequent use over here.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

HAWKEYESATX":27r68p9r said:
SJB358":27r68p9r said:
Scotty

I’m thinking about sending one of my ‘06’s off to JES to have them make it into a 9.3x62 now, instead of a 338-06.

Hawk

I had a Ruger 280 rechambered and rebored. I went with a 3 groove 1-10. Works like a charm. I get 2650 with RL15 And 250 Accubonds. I haven’t had the chance to try much else yet but I also have some PP2000 I would like to work out of the old girl.

Rl17 is real good with the heavies. 2400 with the Woodleigh 320’s. Lotsa HP there.

That is quite impressive.
Can't think of much you can't hunt with that.
Unless you are in a country with other legal limits. If I recall correctly, .375 is mandatory for dangerous game in some African countries

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

Could be. I’m not sure it’d ever make the trip to Africa but you never know either.

I have a M70 458 and 375 that might win out if I were to go.

But the big Bullets in the 9.3 are pretty serious.

SJB358":3u3sagcw said:
HAWKEYESATX":3u3sagcw said:
SJB358":3u3sagcw said:
Scotty

Hawk

I had a Ruger 280 rechambered and rebored. I went with a 3 groove 1-10. Works like a charm. I get 2650 with RL15 And 250 Accubonds. I haven’t had the chance to try much else yet but I also have some PP2000 I would like to work out of the old girl.

Rl17 is real good with the heavies. 2400 with the Woodleigh 320’s. Lotsa HP there.
Scotty,

That’s outstanding velocities from a 22 inch barrel! Holy [emoji90]!

You definitely are “Da Man” !

Thank you for letting me know. I greatly appreciate it.

Hawk

SJB358":15qsvzyf said:
I might try out some PP2000 or Big Game tomorrow. I’ll keep you posted.
Please do!

I’m very interested in the cartridge, and you already did what I’m thinking on doing, I want to see what and how you do.

Between you, Fotis, and Guy, you really know what you’re doing!

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@SJB358

What other powders do you think would do well in the 9.3x62?

Do you think CFE223 and StaBall 6.5 might do well in the case?

Do the powders that work well in the 35 Whelen work well in the 9.3x62?

Hawk

Very good chambering.

If you are thinking of using it for plains games, AccuBond 250gr is a good choice as a bit flatter shooting.

22" barrel probably fine as basically 30-06 case capacity and as others have said a wide bore.

I certainly like mine.

M

HAWKEYESATX":2r7rcl2j said:
@SJB358

What other powders do you think would do well in the 9.3x62?

Do you think CFE223 and StaBall 6.5 might do well in the case?

Do the powders that work well in the 35 Whelen work well in the 9.3x62?

Hawk

Varget and RL15 are real good. My current load is RL15 and 250 ABs at 2650 pretty easily. So about anything in that burn rate should be excellent.

Some other buddies are using 17 with the 320’s so I’d assume Staball should work fine there as well. CFE as well.

So far, I have only used Nosler's 250gr AccuBond ammunition in my rifle, and it performed well on the young bull moose I have harvested to date. It does produce groups just over 1/2".
When I start to work on load development, it will most likely be Re-15 with the 250gr AB to start with..
My Sako has the factory barrel which is just over 22". Sorry, I have not chronied the ammo as yet to verify velocity.

Blkram":30c8nq9n said:
So far, I have only used Nosler's 250gr AccuBond ammunition in my rifle, and it performed well on the young bull moose I have harvested to date. It does produce groups just over 1/2".
When I start to work on load development, it will most likely be Re-15 with the 250gr AB to start with..
My Sako has the factory barrel which is just over 22". Sorry, I have not chronied the ammo as yet to verify velocity.
Thank you for telling us your experiences.
That’s a really good testimonial there!
I really appreciate it!

Hawk

The 9.3 is legal in several African countries for dangerous game. Hop over to the Africa Hunting forums, and check those guys out. The 9.3x62 is still extremely popular on those forums, and several guys take Cape buffalo yearly with it. Professional hunter Don Heath who went by his pen name Ganyana, I believe stated it was his favorite cartridge. If I’m not mistaken he took 18 Buffalo with 18 shots on a culling hunt to prove it still has the goods. I own two rifles in 9.3x62. One is a rebored Mauser 98, the other is a sauer 100 XT. Both are running 286 gr bullets at 2500-2510 FPS using big game powder, and have been devastating on whitetail. I have ran the factory Norma 232 gr ecostrike ammo which had a MV of 2630 fps with great results too. I have yet to try RL17 in either of mine yet. Both my rifles have 22” barrels. The 24hourcampfire forums have a huge list of loads with modern data running around 60,000 psi that really shows what the old cartridge can do. I know I’ve been of a 416 caliber kick here for the last year, but I’d probably say my most favorite cartridge to work with is still the 9.3x62.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":2gjrmhd5 said:
The 9.3 is legal in several African countries for dangerous game. Hop over to the Africa Hunting forums, and check those guys out. The 9.3x62 is still extremely popular on those forums, and several guys take Cape buffalo yearly with it. Professional hunter Don Heath who went by his pen name Ganyana, I believe stated it was his favorite cartridge. If I’m not mistaken he took 18 Buffalo with 18 shots on a culling hunt to prove it still has the goods. I own two rifles in 9.3x62. One is a rebored Mauser 98, the other is a sauer 100 XT. Both are running 286 gr bullets at 2500-2510 FPS using big game powder, and have been devastating on whitetail. I have ran the factory Norma 232 gr ecostrike ammo which had a MV of 2630 fps with great results too. I have yet to try RL17 in either of mine yet. Both my rifles have 22” barrels. The 24hourcampfire forums have a huge list of loads with modern data running around 60,000 psi that really shows what the old cartridge can do. I know I’ve been of a 416 caliber kick here for the last year, but I’d probably say my most favorite cartridge to work with is still the 9.3x62.

You see, I was wondering if the 9.3x62 could be jazzed up quite a bit. You definitely answered that question!
The 286 gr bullet in the 2500 + fps arena is in the .375 H&H league. And there ain’t no flies on the .375 H&H yet!
Man! It’s amazing what these old calibers can do when loaded properly!
And all that from 22 inch barrels!

Hawk

Cleveland48":3r7dc1wq said:

BOY!!!! You weren’t kidding about the 60k psi loads in the 9.3x62.

270gr load from Real Guns, has it moving along at over 2600+ fps! That’s equal to the.375 H&H!

286gr bullet going 2535, 2550, and 2565 fps, and all over 4K ft-lbs of muzzle energy!

A 320gr bullet zipping along at 2372 fps?!? That’s freaking outstanding!!!!

Hawk

WTF?!?

It looks like RL-17 is the powder to beat with the 9.3x62.

I saw velocities of 250gr AB at 2715, and 2760 fps!!
The 286gr NP bullets at over 2600 fps!!
320gr Woodleighs at 2400+ fps!!!

Now that is an eye opener!!

Hawk

Back