Loaded Primers

Rommel

Beginner
Jul 1, 2021
Good day all! Maybe a silly question, how long are primers effective and reliable if they have been pressed into prepped cases and left in bullet trays... I must add I live in a rather humid / corrosive environment?

Are you referring to hand loaded primers in cases without powder and bullet

Or commercial primers in cases without powder and bullet?

Sent from my SM-J337VPP using Tapatalk

johnsonian09":34tm9xzk said:
Are you referring to hand loaded primers in cases without powder and bullet

Or commercial primers in cases without powder and bullet?

Handloaded primers loaded into cases, without powder and projectile...

Did you coat the primers once finished with a shellac or nail polish? These will effectively seal them for storage.

If not I would store your loaded cases in a airtight container with a mild dessicant. Maybe some rice or a magnesium fire block or something [magnesium is a dessicant]

Also I use different color nail polish to note different loads or different experimental compounds for primers. And just list it on the reloading card.

johnsonian09":1nrzrb2b said:
Did you coat the primers once finished with a shellac or nail polish? These will effectively seal them for storage.

If not I would store your loaded cases in a airtight container with a mild dessicant. Maybe some rice or a magnesium fire block or something [magnesium is a dessicant]

Also I use different color nail polish to note different loads or different experimental compounds for primers. And just list it on the reloading card.

Nope, no coating, nothing... Wasn't planning on storing for that long!

No worries. If you put them in an airtight container with some rice or they should last a while

johnsonian09":30ixcrr9 said:
No worries. If you put them in an airtight container with some rice or they should last a while

But no good now I guess?

Some of them come with a protective layer.

Here are folks using quite old primers and they usually work.
Primers come without any protection in a cardboard box. I guess the producers would take measures if they were concerned about shelf life.
Try some and I think you will see they work out fine

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I have some primed cases from the 70's I had misplaced. Loaded them up and they all shot as well as new primed cases. Loaded some 9mm cases this spring with primers I got in the early 90's and all shot well.

All this to say they last a very long time so I wouldn't worry about it.

Since these are home made primers, what chemicals did you use to make them?

How long have you had them on the shelf?

I have primers that I cannot remember where, when or how I got them. I would not use them for hunting, or in your case, (long range competition) but primers are amazing. I have been loading since the late 50"s and only a "very few "misfires. And even those were a result it something I did, not the primer.

Put one of the primed cased with just the primer of course in your gun, point in safe direction and pull the trigger. You'll find out if they are still good. Been there done that. Dan.

johnsonian09":28xwifm5 said:

Actually Magnesium is not a desiccant ... Magnesium perchlorate and or Magnesium sulfate would be. A solid block of magnesium would do nothing .... there's lots of other safer ways to keep something dry.

Thanks guys, I recon they should be fine then, they are actually store bought CCi's that have been standing loaded in cases for 'bout 3 years... (Just misplaced)

Then they should be fine. They are coated in the factory I would imagine.

It sounds like these were stored separately from your usual components - thought you were in the desert...

I would second Elkman - I would think they would fire just fine as long as they or the cases don't show corrosion. If they were stored with your components I would treat them just like any other primer - moisture content should be the same, and them being physically primed for that long shouldn't change its physical attributes.

If they were stored separately from your components and I were using them for long range competition or hunting, I would consider putting them in an airtight container with a bit of desiccant for a few days in an effort to bring the primer compound's moisture content down. Or I would leave them with my usual components for a few months...

Back