Has Anyone Ever Wondered…

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Has anyone ever wondered how things just seem to work out, and finally glad that they have?
I bought another Savage rifle, a 110E, in .270 Winchester! Well, I saw how bad it looked at first, and decided I would make it into another project Gun. But, as things go, she actually cleaned up really well, and she has an almost pristine bore, and the metal is almost perfect, except for a couple of rub marks. Her stock has a few scratches, but is extremely serviceable, and nothing majorly wrong with it.
She had a crappy, broken Simmons 3-9x32 scope on it, but I replaced it with a Burris Fullfield II I had laying around.
Dangit! If it doesn’t remind me of my first high powered rifle I ever bought, when I was a greenhorn Airman, a Savage 110GXP3 combo, 7mm Rem Mag, with a Bushnell Sportview 3-9x38 with a 24 inch barrel.
This one wears a 22 inch barrel, but everything else is exactly the same!
Just remember everyone, these rifles weren’t beautiful, but very utilitarian.
Here’s a couple of pics of her!

Hawk
5b02d15e9e3ed0c4f24be08d7a061503.jpg

8babaaf0c213d02b7fc1ad52822112a9.jpg

Really nice rifle.

I do think of rifles as tools…no judging from me as long as it shoots. I have replaced triggers on 2 savages…

270win… I would not mind having one… I would put it to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mjcmichigan":33dloq0a said:
Really nice rifle.

I do think of rifles as tools…no judging from me as long as it shoots. I have replaced triggers on 2 savages…

270win… I would not mind having one… I would put it to work!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For as old as it is, it’s really in very good condition.

I will mess around with the adjustable trigger a little. A lot of people didn’t know, and may not yet know that these Savage rifles triggers could be adjusted. That should help quite a bit.

Yeah, I do intend on putting it to work here in the near future.

Hawk

I forgot to mention, too, that it seems, and for some odd reason, that the .270 Winchester has been showing itself more to me the past 2-3 years. I didn’t initially go looking for .270, just the Savage 110/111 long action ( or Standard ) as some manufacturers like to call it.
I got this one for less than I paid when I bought my first Savage 110 back in 1988 or so.

Hawk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage makes a fine rifle, even if some consider it to be rather homely. It appears that you made a good buy.

DrMike":2f9oucef said:
Savage makes a fine rifle, even if some consider it to be rather homely. It appears that you made a good buy.
Thank you very much DrMike!

Hawk

I read today, on the site, The Ballistic Studies, that there is really only one ammo maker loading the .270 to its potential, and that’s Olin (Winchester).
The others, except for the Hornady Superformance, are keeping the round loaded medium wise. That really stinks.
But, the site, and article said that the 150gr bullets are the what we should be using, because they mirror the .30 cal 180gr bullets SD wise, and hit harder, and will penetrate like the dickens, even through broadside on the wild bovines they have in NZ, where the author, and ballistician lives.
I’m betting that my rifle will like the 150’s, because an article I read, authored by John Sundra, back in the 80’s, said that Savages of that era, tended to like the heavy for caliber bullets. This article was written in the late 80’s, like around ‘88 or ‘89. His test rifle at that time was a Savage 110 long action in .308 Winchester. And lo and behold, the rifle liked the 172 - 180 gr factory ammo of that day.
I already have some bullets on hand, but no 150’s. Oh well!
My Savage 110 of that era loved 175 gr Winchester and Federal factory loads.
I think this is going to be interesting.

Hawk

A couple of good 270 Winchester articles by two well respected gun-writers. These are well worth reading:

Terry Weiland:
https://www.handloadermagazine.com/270-winchester

Ross Seyfried:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/ross ... gnum-myth/

I am sure that long ago, probably in the 1980's, I read another article by Seyfried in which he discussed loading the 270 to "magnum" level pressures with the 150 grain Nosler Partition, up to/over 3,000 fps.

Also, with the performance on tap that this cartridge has, I don't know why more rifle makers don't produce the 270 Winchester with 24" or longer barrels. Most seem to be 22" barrels, which robs a high performance cartridge like this of a bit of velocity. Enough to matter? Maybe not, but... one doesn't buy a 270 for low velocity. :)

I hope folks will enjoy the articles. They're good, by well-respected writers.

Regards, Guy

Thank you so much for the articles Guy!
They were very informative!
You’re so right about no one buys a .270 to be low velocity!
There is a QL thread here where I asked DrMike for info from a 22 inch barrel. I think a lot of those velocities will really open your eyes, they did mine![emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

Hawk

1100 Remington Man":1v3wfe8j said:
I like the clean simple lines, will be nice to see a range report. Great Score and Cartridge.
Thank you! I like the simple lines as well.

Hawk

Very nice find Hawk. Looking forward to hearing back from you with the range report. BTW, SPS has .277 130 gr BT's on sale now. Good time to stock up.

JD338

Great rifle Hawk. I bought that exact rifle new in the late 80’s. I was young and broke, and it was all I could afford at the time. I think it was $169. I put a Tasco 3x9 scope on it and started shooting. Danged if that 270 didn’t put 5 of the old style Winchester Supreme 140gr silver tip boat tails in groups you could cover with a nickel. I was so proud of that rifle because it was mine. I think it’ll end up shooting very well for you.

JD338":2a0g890b said:
Very nice find Hawk. Looking forward to hearing back from you with the range report. BTW, SPS has .277 130 gr BT's on sale now. Good time to stock up.

JD338
Outstanding!
Thank you for the heads up on the bullets! I greatly appreciate it!

I hope to do a range report in the near future.

Hawk

Joec7651":vy2iz3i9 said:
Great rifle Hawk. I bought that exact rifle new in the late 80’s. I was young and broke, and it was all I could afford at the time. I think it was $169. I put a Tasco 3x9 scope on it and started shooting. Danged if that 270 didn’t put 5 of the old style Winchester Supreme 140gr silver tip boat tails in groups you could cover with a nickel. I was so proud of that rifle because it was mine. I think it’ll end up shooting very well for you.
I did the same exact same thing back in the 80’s.
The only difference was, at that time, I got the 7mm Rem Mag. Looking back, I didn’t need the Mag. I think the .270 would’ve suited me as well, if not better.
I fully believe you what you said about the 140’s! Savage 110’s are just that amazing!!
Thank you! I do have high expectations for mine!

Hawk

Back