8x57 Load for Fall

6.5_sWv

Beginner
Mar 5, 2019
Ive been loading for the 8x57 for a few years and Ive been able to test several bullets, but this year, I decided to try a new one. I was able to find a load pretty quickly with the 175gr Sierra ProHunter and CFE 223. Im shooting this load in a Sauer 100 with a 22inch barrell.

175gr Sierra ProHunter
53.5gr CFE 223
R-P brass
Remington 9 1/2 Large Rifle Primer
3.096'' COAL
5 shot avg velocity of 2729fps @ muzzel

The picture of the group was shot while my MagnetoSpeed was still attached and the hole with marks was a sight adjustment not part of the group.

Looking forward to smashing one of these Sierras into a deer or bear this fall.

75swwp.jpg

l5e4dC.jpg

That’s outstanding accuracy! Great job!
You’re definitely up to the job of getting a deer!
Keep me posted on the harvest!!

Hawk

That load will work for you. Fine accuracy that will take down almost anything you might wish to hunt with that rifle/load.

The old 8x57 isn't doing bad at all on both speed and accuracy. Good shooting. I've been looking at a Sauer 101, but didn't decide yet. They look like very well made rifles for the money.

ShadeTree":2b6bp41u said:
The old 8x57 isn't doing bad at all on both speed and accuracy. Good shooting. I've been looking at a Sauer 101, but didn't decide yet. They look like very well made rifles for the money.

I cant speak for the Sauer 101, but the 100 series is top notch and its the bottom rung in their series of rifles. Im sure the 101 would be a fantastic rifle. This 100 is super accurate with most bullets/powders and the bolt is butter smooth compared to other rifles in its price category. Its comfortable to shoot, carries well in the woods, is just about the right amount of weight and if you like the European look has a nice schnabel forend. If your on the fence, Id say pull the trigger, your bound to like it.

That load’ll hunt boss! Time to go get the groceries now. Great work. I love CFE223. I use it in 5 rifles. It’s been very consistent for me.

6.5_sWv":wosbwu3b said:
ShadeTree":wosbwu3b said:

I cant speak for the Sauer 101, but the 100 series is top notch and its the bottom rung in their series of rifles. Im sure the 101 would be a fantastic rifle. This 100 is super accurate with most bullets/powders and the bolt is butter smooth compared to other rifles in its price category. Its comfortable to shoot, carries well in the woods, is just about the right amount of weight and if you like the European look has a nice schnabel forend. If your on the fence, Id say pull the trigger, your bound to like it.

Yep I've studied up on them. 3 lug bolt where the outside diameter of the lugs is the same as the bolt body helps with smoothness I'd say. Ever rest bedding system (your 100 might have the same?,) tang safety. On the wood models the 101's have nicer wood, but other than that and the tang safety they might be the same rifle, not sure?

That's fine shooting and load development Ben. Your 8x57 has proven itself I'm sure it will again.

ShadeTree":1dvz025y said:
I have the sauer 100 XT in 9.3x62. I know it’s their bottom of the line American rifle, but it is made extremely high quality. It’s one of the most accurate hunting rifles I’ve ever owned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That’s a great looking 8x57 load there. I would really like to have one myself. As I move on into my middle 30’s I have become more fascinated with the European cartridges. So far I’ve got the 275 rigby (7x57), two 9.3x62’s, and have owned the 6.5x55 in the past. Would like an 8x57 and a 7x64 to go along with them.

Cleveland48":17mqklfq said:
ShadeTree":17mqklfq said:
I have the sauer 100 XT in 9.3x62. I know it’s their bottom of the line American rifle, but it is made extremely high quality. It’s one of the most accurate hunting rifles I’ve ever owned.

Keep talking. Ha. Seems every time I get some side money built back up it's burning a hole in my pocket to spend on another gun. So far I feel I've made good buys and should be an immediate good investment should I sell any of them.

This Sauer 101 I'm looking at would more be a rifle just for me. It's priced well for what they normally bring, but I'm not sure it would produce much of a gain in value in the American market, so that's not really factoring into it. Decisions, decisions. :mrgreen:

[emoji38] I’d like to have a wood stocked 101 myself

Cleveland48":djfcfxxw said:
That’s a great looking 8x57 load there. I would really like to have one myself. As I move on into my middle 30’s I have become more fascinated with the European cartridges. So far I’ve got the 275 rigby (7x57), two 9.3x62’s, and have owned the 6.5x55 in the past. Would like an 8x57 and a 7x64 to go along with them.

I too have a fascination with the European metric cartridges. I have this 8x57 and I have a 7x57 in a Winchester Featherweight that was given to me by my father. One of these days I might add a 9.3x62 so who knows.

6.5_sWv":1n5bwedo said:
Cleveland48":1n5bwedo said:

I too have a fascination with the European metric cartridges. I have this 8x57 and I have a 7x57 in a Winchester Featherweight that was given to me by my father. One of these days I might add a 9.3x62 so who knows.
When u really look into it, they have made some amazing cartridges over there. Most of them predate our American equivalent. Like 8x68, 7x64, maybe one is a 6.5x65 or it may be 6.5x68 not really sure. Not to mention the 9.3x64. I mean a man could get lost trying them all out [emoji16]

Cleveland48":3pp8izh7 said:
6.5_sWv":3pp8izh7 said:
Cleveland48":3pp8izh7 said:

When u really look into it, they have made some amazing cartridges over there. Most of them predate our American equivalent. Like 8x68, 7x64, maybe one is a 6.5x65 or it may be 6.5x68 not really sure. Not to mention the 9.3x64. I mean a man could get lost trying them all out [emoji16]

You've listed some fine cartridges that are not well known. I built rifles chambered in 9.3X64 and 8X68. They are each a joy to shoot, performing superbly. I've loaded for several rifles chambered in 7X64, and wonder why I've not built one for myself on numerous occasions. (Probably because it duplicates the several .280 Remingtons I own.) And when I built my 358 Norma Magnum, it barely beat out a 6.5X68, which had created a strong interest in my mind. All are great cartridges. Thanks for mentioning them.

DrMike":f4xnk0e2 said:
Cleveland48":f4xnk0e2 said:
6.5_sWv":f4xnk0e2 said:
Cleveland48":f4xnk0e2 said:

You've listed some fine cartridges that are not well known. I built rifles chambered in 9.3X64 and 8X68. They are each a joy to shoot, performing superbly. I've loaded for several rifles chambered in 7X64, and wonder why I've not built one for myself on numerous occasions. (Probably because it duplicates the several .280 Remingtons I own.) And when I built my 358 Norma Magnum, it barely beat out a 6.5X68, which had created a strong interest in my mind. All are great cartridges. Thanks for mentioning them.
DrMike I was thinking you had the 9.3x64. I didn’t know you had an 8x68 also! I’m assuming it is similar to the 8mm Remington mag? It’s been a while since I’ve studied some of these cartridges ballistic charts.

The 8X68S is a ballistic twin to the 325WSM. I recently sold my 325WSM and kept the 8X68S. Lovely cartridge that works very well indeed.

DrMike":636qkdkf said:
The 8X68S is a ballistic twin to the 325WSM. I recently sold my 325WSM and kept the 8X68S. Lovely cartridge that works very well indeed.
I looked at the 6.5x68 and 8x68 this morning. Appears both were designed in the late 1930’s. That’s amazing performance for Cartridges that came out that much earlier then our American equivalent. Plus no belt lol. I know I own a few cartridges with the belt, but I’ve never really been a fan of the belts honestly. I see Huntington’s has cases for both. Well DrMike it looks like I’m fixing to look into trying to build one of these for myself [emoji16]. Just not sure which one now.

Back