Accurate .460 Mold for Cast 45-70 Loads

Joec7651

Handloader
Apr 7, 2019
I know I’ve said it before but I LOVE this mold. Just finished casting a few hundred more bullets for my 45-70. I added pure lead to my alloy and upped the weight from 405 to 415gr. I weighed them after sizing and putting the Gator gas checks on, and there is only 1 grain difference in all of them. I’ll never see a 1gr difference in a 415gr bullet on target. And when I say 1gr I mean they are only .5 grain above or below 415, and they look like they were turned on a lathe.

The bullets are 415gr in weight, sized to .459 with gas checks and the 405’s from this mold shoot great from my 22” barreled 1895. I zero it at 100 yards and they will hold 1 inch unless I screw up the shot. Did I mention that I absolutely LOVE my Accurate bullet mold? Lol.

Best $90 I’ve ever spent for reloading equipment.DD36C0AB-D2E9-4A18-9601-CACBA7FB9A23.jpeg

At least the 405’s I’ve cast from this mold have shot much better than I anticipated. I just wanted to clarify that I haven’t loaded and shot any of these 415’s yet, but I have no reason to think they won’t shoot just as well.

wvbuckbuster":fm6p8d8r said:
Nice looking bullet Joe. Have you used it on deer? Dan.
I haven’t yet. Have been using 300gr Interlock HP’s. I’m getting the 1895 out hunting with the cast bullets this fall. I imagine they would completely penetrate a deer end to end. They shoot very well, and with White Label Carnauba Red lube there’s no leading. The barrel actually has less fouling with these than with jacketed bullets. The .360” flat meplat should provide the thump and not damage as much meat as the HP.

42gr H4198 gives me 1824 fps with the 405 grain alloy ratio. Consistent accuracy. Recoil isn’t bad off hand or from a rest. Shooting them from the bench can get your attention if you’re careless. IMR 4198 does just as well.

Nice looking bullet. I bet that bullet will penetrate into tomorrow.

JD338

Thank you, it’s the quality of the mold not my skill. He has a 325 grain gas check mold that looks like this one, just a shorter bullet. There’s an 8 week lead time on his molds, and I’m really trying to talk myself out of placing the order. Soften up the alloy and I think it would be taylor made for deer and black bear.

Joec7651":xl74fke8 said:
Thank you, it’s the quality of the mold not my skill. He has a 325 grain gas check mold that looks like this one, just a shorter bullet. There’s an 8 week lead time on his molds, and I’m really trying to talk myself out of placing the order. Soften up the alloy and I think it would be taylor made for deer and black bear.

Joe,

That 325 gr bullet sounds like a great choice for deer and black bear.

JD338

I like his molds because the only bearing surface is the lands of the grease grooves and gas check of the bullet. Also the base of the ogive is .456, .002” under bore diameter to help it engage the rifling. Surprisingly small bearing surface for such a large bullet, keeps pressure fairly low when loading. It also has a second crimp groove so you can use once fired Hornady FTX brass without adversely affecting case capacity of the shorter brass, and still keep correct OAL for lever guns. Here are the dimensions and part number if anyone’s interestedEC212419-CF5D-45F1-BA55-151361691656.jpeg

Thank you GB. I appreciate it. Loading is therapeutic and relaxing for me. My “me” time if you will. There’s a level of satisfaction in knowing an animal was taken cleanly with quality bullets and ammunition that I produced.

Joec7651":11tz50iq said:
I know I’ve said it before but I LOVE this mold. Just finished casting a few hundred more bullets for my 45-70. I added pure lead to my alloy and upped the weight from 405 to 415gr. I weighed them after sizing and putting the Gator gas checks on, and there is only 1 grain difference in all of them. I’ll never see a 1gr difference in a 415gr bullet on target. And when I say 1gr I mean they are only .5 grain above or below 415, and they look like they were turned on a lathe.

The bullets are 415gr in weight, sized to .459 with gas checks and the 405’s from this mold shoot great from my 22” barreled 1895. I zero it at 100 yards and they will hold 1 inch unless I screw up the shot. Did I mention that I absolutely LOVE my Accurate bullet mold? Lol.

Best $90 I’ve ever spent for reloading equipment.

Man that's one great looking bullet. Congratulations on a fine end result of your work.

I admire most anything that's geared towards self sufficiency. Making and shooting lead cast bullets is something I would love to be more knowledgeable on but never got into. The little bit I looked into it seemed like there's a lot to learn about it, which I'm not against in the least but my world is pretty full right now.

Again good job.

Back