Dilemma….

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
As you all know, I have a Remington M700 BDL in .30-06.
Well, I’ve just acquired a Weatherby Vanguard in .30-06, in too!
My original thinking was, that I was going to send off the Vanguard to JES and have it rechambered /rebored to 9.3x62 Mauser. It’s the older model, before the S2, and has a synthetic stock, much along the same lines like the Remington CDL wood stock. It’s an American Straight comb.
My dilemma is this, I know the 9.3x62 works amazingly well with 22 inch barrels. That’s exactly what the BDL has. But, if I rechamber/rebore it, does it lose it’s collectible status if I have work done on it like that?
I know the Vanguard isn’t, really a collectible, per se, right now.
The Weatherby has a 24 inch barrel, and is heavier, and it will be better with absorbing recoil than the Remington.
I know some will ask,”Why rechamber/rebore either?”
Well, because I want a stout cartridge that I can use for elk, and moose, and not have it kick my cowboy hat off in the process. Plus, when I plan on going hunting for elk, or moose, and I’m in prime Grizzly Bear territory, I want something I can use that will stop a charge almost immediately.
Yes, I am still working on my .35 Whelen Savage 111 project. But I have found out that the .366 bullets of the 9.3x62 have far better Ballistic Coefficients and Sectional Densities than even the .358 bullets.
Plus, if I ago to Africa, then I have a rifle that can be legal in a lot of countries there, and I can take that along with my .30-06, whichever one that will be.

So…there you have it!
What say ye all?

e59f85aa8337cba1af23b037aa29bc15.jpg

425c7df35ddf315aea09bc1c630a3b9a.jpg

Hawk

I don't worry myself over resale value . I buy what I think I want , and modify it if need be . make yourself happy , don't worry about the next guy .

I think that the 9.3 rebore is a great idea! And... Either of your rifles would probably work out well.

Which one do you want to keep as a 30-06 for much of your hunting? And which do you want to carry occasionally for Big Game?

Guy

jimbires":tgk1z3b7 said:
I don't worry myself over resale value . I buy what I think I want , and modify it if need be . make yourself happy , don't worry about the next guy .
Thank you for being Frank!
I greatly appreciate it!

Hawk

Guy Miner":3cb1ujn1 said:
I think that the 9.3 rebore is a great idea! And... Either of your rifles would probably work out well.

Which one do you want to keep as a 30-06 for much of your hunting? And which do you want to carry occasionally for Big Game?

Guy
Thank you Guy!

I’m thinking the Remington M700 BDL is going to be handier while using it for the majority of my hunting in .30-06. The wood stock will handle the .30-06 recoil a lot better, I’m thinking.
I’m thinking the synthetic stock will handle the recoil of the 9.3 a lot better, and I won’t have to worry as much about it cracking in the palm area of the pistol grip.
The Weatherby is definitely heavier, and will help reduce the recoil forces of the 9.3 better, as well, as I’m thinking about it.
Thank you for asking that question as to which one I would use more for most of my hunting.
Always with thought provoking answers. I greatly appreciate you and your wisdom.

Hawk

I'd swap the plastic stock on that Vanguard for a Bell & Carlson in a second.
Every one of my Vanguards gets that, and I bed the action while floating the barrel.
As a result I have several original Vanguard plastic stocks in my cast-off pile.

You could choose a Boyd's if you prefer, but the idea is the same.

Being an earlier model, you may want to swap for a Timney trigger as well.

Dr. Vette":3pslow2l said:
I'd swap the plastic stock on that Vanguard for a Bell & Carlson in a second.
Every one of my Vanguards gets that, and I bed the action while floating the barrel.
As a result I have several original Vanguard plastic stocks in my cast-off pile.

You could choose a Boyd's if you prefer, but the idea is the same.

Being an earlier model, you may want to swap for a Timney trigger as well.
Both of those suggestions are valid! Point taken. I will look into them!

Hawk

Well, the good old 30-06 will handle anything in North America with a good 180 or 200 gr. Premium bullet. FWIW, that includes the rest of the world as well. The trick is proper bullet placement. Bell proved that killing roughly 1,100 elephants for their ivory with something like 800 taken with the 7x57 Mauser. But Bell was an extremely fine shot, way better than most. That something I would prefer to not try. Then again, I've never had much ambition on taking the Big Five anyway. I wouldn't mind living off the land in Africa, just taking what I need to eat and doing some kind of walkabout. A 7x57 or 30-06 would suit me just fine. Maybe if I was 50 or so years younger I'd look into something like that.
Frankly, if I was looking for a big bore for Africa then I would look for a rifle in .375 H&H. preferably a control feed model. Zastava made some that were reasonably priced and shot well. A proper Mauser action BTW. The only problem I had with mine was the top edge of the feed ramp literally had teeth like those of the shark in Jaws. Every time I chambered a round, deep gouges in the brass cases. I sold the gun to a non-reloader. I've seen two or three of those rifles since mine and a finger down the throat to check that feed ramp showed every one to have those jagged edges. I think they might be fixable by removing the barrel and careful work with a Dremel tool. I wish I'd thought of that when I still had mine as I really liked that rifle.
Paul B.

Good points to consider above...
Which will you prefer to use more for everyday hunting with the 30-06?
The shorter, handier woodstocked rifle with the 22" barrel, or the longer, heavier synthetic stocked rifle that will take the heavier abuse?

In a pinch, the 30-06 with a 180 gr or heavier bullet will work on a problem grizz, but the edge would definitely go to the 9.3 with 250 or 286 gr bullets. The heavier rifle will soak up recoil more, but the shorter barrel will be just a tad handier in tight places. (and the recoil of the 9.3 w/ 250 gr bullets with a good recoil pad won't be that much more than a 30-05 with 220 gr bullets)
Only you can determine your recoil tolerance level. Best to try rifles in 9.3 if you can before you finalize your choice.

The outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle will tell which one to send to JES since he has requirements on the out side diameter of the barrel there.
You will also lose some weight when the barrel is bored out to 9.3 as mine did when it was bored to .358.
I also vote for a B&C aluminum action block stock which is what I use to handle the recoil on the heavy kickers.
I would leave the M700 as is and send the Vanguard off and replace the trigger with a Timney.

Blkram":2cdt3ct3 said:
Good points to consider above...
Which will you prefer to use more for everyday hunting with the 30-06?
The shorter, handier woodstocked rifle with the 22" barrel, or the longer, heavier synthetic stocked rifle that will take the heavier abuse?

In a pinch, the 30-06 with a 180 gr or heavier bullet will work on a problem grizz, but the edge would definitely go to the 9.3 with 250 or 286 gr bullets. The heavier rifle will soak up recoil more, but the shorter barrel will be just a tad handier in tight places. (and the recoil of the 9.3 w/ 250 gr bullets with a good recoil pad won't be that much more than a 30-05 with 220 gr bullets)
Only you can determine your recoil tolerance level. Best to try rifles in 9.3 if you can before you finalize your choice.
Thank you for your insights!

I’ve had an Interarms Whitworth rifle in .375 H&H before. I absolutely loved that rifle. For me, the recoil wasn’t all that bad. To me, it was a push, not a mule kick slap to my shoulder like a Ruger M77 .300 Win Mag I had. That stock was thin, and had a hard, red rubber butt pad. That rifle ate my lunch!!!
From what I’ve read, and heard from others, the 9.3 is a lot like the .35 Whelen recoil. You know it’s there, but not as bad that damned .300 Win Mag I had. It’ll be more like a push, like the .375 H&H!
I believe I’m keeping the Remington M700 in .30-06! It’s just too pretty to have it messed with.

Hawk

truck driver":1olm7kxe said:
The outside diameter of the barrel at the muzzle will tell which one to send to JES since he has requirements on the out side diameter of the barrel there.
You will also lose some weight when the barrel is bored out to 9.3 as mine did when it was bored to .358.
I also vote for a B&C aluminum action block stock which is what I use to handle the recoil on the heavy kickers.
I would leave the M700 as is and send the Vanguard off and replace the trigger with a Timney.
The Weatherby Vanguard barrel is quite beefy, a tad thicker than the Remington. So, it’ll do fine for a rebore.
I already called Jess, and he said they work on Vanguards. He sounded kinda pleased too that it was a Vanguard.
That’s a very good idea about using an aluminum block stock, thank you!
I agree, I’m going to leave the Remington the way it is. It is handier, and points very naturally for me.

Hawk

Back