Annealing brass

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
I have never attempted to anneal rifle brass before. Is it possible on a budget of $50? What do I need to know before I start?
Keith

If you already own a drill, cordless or corded, and some sockets, then yes, absolutely.

I use a cordless drill, 11MM socket for standard sized cases, and one of those handheld propane torches.

I put my drill pointed up, in a vice. You can either run the trigger by hand, or tie it to the speed you want. You don't want it turning super slow, but not zinging fast either. On my drill I run it about 1/4 speed.

You can experiment on some junk cases if you got them. Based on the heat I put on them, and where I put the flame, I count out about 5 seconds. You will just have to experiment with what works for you. I just did 50 257 Roberts cases the other day. Doesn't take long. Works for me.

Not a good picture, but here is some 22-250's I done a while back. For me these are about right, but you don't want the heat line extending much lower on the case body than this. Initially you might want to keep heat on them just long enough to anneal right to the shoulder and no farther until you get comfortable and used to the procedure.

If you know how to work up a timing circuit to control a motors speed… pretty easy.

Else shade tree hit it.

Think about why you are annealing.

Is it for extending case life or more consistent neck tension.

After I started, I’m annealing all my brass and am willing to do more prep.

Some use tempilaq to get the temp right.(650f)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the candle method for a long time, and it’s about as simple and cheap as possible. Also use the torch too. I lucked into an awesome deal on a Annie induction annealer set up with the little radiator for a 100% duty cycle. But I annealed a many of cases with the candle and torch method before I got the annealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back