Sauer 100 Black

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
I ordered a Sauer 100 Black in 9.3x62. It has a 22 inch barrel, and a 1 in 14 inch twist.
I know some have bought other Sauer 100 rifles on here, and I’m wondering what the difference is between the Sauer 100 Classic XT, and my rifle, the Sauer 100 Black?
I would like your opinions, and expertise on this one, please.
What has been your experience with your rifle?
Please relay any hunting stories as well about your rifle, too.

Hawk
49233c9beea0fb3cafd15c0f6ed2a2a4.jpg

I have the Sauer 100 Ceratech. Prepare yourself for a great shooting well made rifle that has one of the smoothest bolts I've personally used/ seen. My Sauer is a 8x57IS and it's a joy to carry in the field. My rifle is the ceratech version and it's held up really well for a few hunting seasons. I would reccomend picking up an extra detachable magazine to have a a spare. They run about $50 to $60 and you can purchase them from EuroOptic as well as other vendors

Sauer 100 is made in several configurations.

100 classic comes with a blued barrel and action and a beechwood stock
100 classic xt is a blued barrel and action with a synthetic stock
100 ceratech is a silver cerakote action and barrel with the same black synthetic stock.

The Sauer 100 is also made with various other stocks that have soft touch coatings, and colors, patterns as well as other colors of ceracote.

Looking forward to seeing your impressions and reports of the rifle and it's accuracy.

6.5_sWv":utnrle4f said:
I have the Sauer 100 Ceratech. Prepare yourself for a great shooting well made rifle that has one of the smoothest bolts I've personally used/ seen. My Sauer is a 8x57IS and it's a joy to carry in the field. My rifle is the ceratech version and it's held up really well for a few hunting seasons. I would reccomend picking up an extra detachable magazine to have a a spare. They run about $50 to $60 and you can purchase them from EuroOptic as well as other vendors

Sauer 100 is made in several configurations.

100 classic comes with a blued barrel and action and a beechwood stock
100 classic xt is a blued barrel and action with a synthetic stock
100 ceratech is a silver cerakote action and barrel with the same black synthetic stock.

The Sauer 100 is also made with various other stocks that have soft touch coatings, and colors, patterns as well as other colors of ceracote.

Looking forward to seeing your impressions and reports of the rifle and it's accuracy.
Oh yes, I remember how your Sauer 100 Ceratech looks and groups! Here I was thinking it was stainless. But thank you for clearing that up to me.
Yes, I have already been looking at an extra magazine for it. Thank you for the suggestion.
I’m betting mine is the Sauer 100 Classic XT, and the ad more than likely misprinted the wrong description.

I went with the Sauer 100 because of the reviews I read, and some videos I saw, and also from reading your accounts about your rifle.
I wanted the 9.3x62, mainly because I can’t bring myself to having my Weatherby Vanguard sent off and rebored to 9.3x62, plus, I am enthralled by the medium bore that has excellent BC and SD for such big bullets. Not to mention that the 9.3x62 seems to be inherently accurate just like our .308 round is as well.
Also, with the strong Sauer action, the 9.3x62 can be loaded more to its full potential as a big game round.
I look forward to making a range report here in the near future.
Oh, I was wondering what bases and rings you are using on your Sauer? I know Remington bases can be used, but I just wanted to know so I can get decent bases and rings for mine!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":20njh9wl said:
6.5_sWv":20njh9wl said:
Oh, I was wondering what bases and rings you are using on your Sauer? I know Remington bases can be used, but I just wanted to know so I can get decent bases and rings for mine!

Hawk

Hawk, I went with the Leupold rear windage adjustable bases with the turn in front ring. If I had it to do over again I'd have probably went with Warne Weaver style bases / rings only due to the fact I like those better. I have had zero issues with the leupolds but I like the looks of the Warnes better.

Honestly the Sauer 100 is without a doubt one a very well made rifle and you'll know it when you get to handle and shoot yours. I like the fact that they chamber European cartridges that aren't commonly found here in the US I only wish they chambered a 7x57 or a 7x64 in the 100 series.

6.5_sWv":9rq77ea3 said:
HAWKEYESATX":9rq77ea3 said:
6.5_sWv":9rq77ea3 said:

Hawk

Hawk, I went with the Leupold rear windage adjustable bases with the turn in front ring. If I had it to do over again I'd have probably went with Warne Weaver style bases / rings only due to the fact I like those better. I have had zero issues with the leupolds but I like the looks of the Warnes better.

Honestly the Sauer 100 is without a doubt one a very well made rifle and you'll know it when you get to handle and shoot yours. I like the fact that they chamber European cartridges that aren't commonly found here in the US I only wish they chambered a 7x57 or a 7x64 in the 100 series.
I have to agree with you, the Warne rings are quite nice looking.
I have a set of Talley bases and rings on my Weatherby Mk V that are very strong and aesthetically pleasing, so I may go with those.

I, too, would like to see more of the European cartridges in the Sauer 100 line. I think the 7x64, would be a really nice addition.
One of my all time favorite cartridges is already part of the lineup, the 6.5x55. If I didn’t already have a sporter Swedish Mauser, I would have been looking hard at that chambering.

Hawk

UPDATE:

Here is the Sauer 100 Black!

I can definitely feel the quality of it!
Not anything like the budget rifles made here!

Hawk
35b24c8259415cb62310d76f3cd47962.jpg

5cb62545353499e7161abd969659c3a6.jpg

e64eb6a70d7dc05715b308e1dbcd75a4.jpg

cf7050e75800e1eeca82f8e79b1330c0.jpg

Congrats on a great rifle. Only difference should be the finish - lack of paint in the safety area and the black barrel. They only make one action length, so I'm running the 30-06 mag in both of my rifles.

I have two Sauer 100s. A Ceratech in 30-06 and a 20" threaded Atacama in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both have Talley (medium or low) rings and Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 scopes. Scope setup can be a little touchy if you wear heavy winter clothing / shoot prone vs. bench vs. off-hand given the longer than standard LOP.

Accuracy has been great, the 6.5 Creed goes out well to 1100 yards with 130 grain Sierra Game Changers. It accounted for a 3x3 whitetail last year with an under 100 yard shot.

The Ceratech's finish came off when the barrel was threaded and the smith applied a different finish on it. The Atacama has a standard black stock which had the "camo" wrap placed over it - you can see the black stock peaking through in a few places... Otherwise I've had no issues with fit or finish on them.

Only thing I don't like is the bolt disassembly / re-assembly process... The chambers are cut to CIP rather than SAMMI standards, so on the 30-06 you run into the Delta L problem... Takes a bit of effort to adjust the resizing dies and test the brass on the rifle.

Otherwise I like them very much and have no issues with them. I would second getting another mag; last I knew Europtic was pretty much the only game in town... Might be worth checking around though as they are spendy at Europtic.

Nimrod84":1m3lj92b said:
Congrats on a great rifle. Only difference should be the finish - lack of paint in the safety area and the black barrel. They only make one action length, so I'm running the 30-06 mag in both of my rifles.

I have two Sauer 100s. A Ceratech in 30-06 and a 20" threaded Atacama in 6.5 Creedmoor. Both have Talley (medium or low) rings and Zeiss HD5 3-15x42 scopes. Scope setup can be a little touchy if you wear heavy winter clothing / shoot prone vs. bench vs. off-hand given the longer than standard LOP.

Accuracy has been great, the 6.5 Creed goes out well to 1100 yards with 130 grain Sierra Game Changers. It accounted for a 3x3 whitetail last year with an under 100 yard shot.

The Ceratech's finish came off when the barrel was threaded and the smith applied a different finish on it. The Atacama has a standard black stock which had the "camo" wrap placed over it - you can see the black stock peaking through in a few places... Otherwise I've had no issues with fit or finish on them.

Only thing I don't like is the bolt disassembly / re-assembly process... The chambers are cut to CIP rather than SAMMI standards, so on the 30-06 you run into the Delta L problem... Takes a bit of effort to adjust the resizing dies and test the brass on the rifle.

Otherwise I like them very much and have no issues with them. I would second getting another mag; last I knew Europtic was pretty much the only game in town... Might be worth checking around though as they are spendy at Europtic.
You hit the nail right on the head with the Sauer 100 Black!
Thank you for being so knowledgeable about the Sauer 100 line of rifles! I do enjoy when members can impart their knowledge to help me with a given rifle of mine.
It’s awesome you have the .30-06 version! Congratulations! I can feel the quality when I ahold mine in my hands.
Plus, it balances extremely well!
I am looking for extra magazines as we speak.

Hawk

They do balance extremely well, action is smooth, accuracy and trigger are great and I really don't see much if any POI shift as the barrel heats up on them. It has been my go to when people ask for a new rifle recommendation.

It was love at first handling on my end, I purchased the 30-06 within 20 minutes of handling. I almost always bring one of the 100s to the range, and they have been a great hit with new / newer shooters. The straight buttstock and grip angle seem to mitigate recoil.

The 9.3x62 is a great round; you should thoroughly enjoy the rifle and the round. Let us know how she shoots!

Not pushing and I don't know S&H charges but the following companies have the mags in stock.

Buds is the cheapest I've seen - https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... gazine+270

Whole Sale Hunter has flat S&H - https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product ... 07630?fs=1

Europtic - https://www.eurooptic.com/Sauer-100-101 ... 10503.aspx

Nimrod84":1686rega said:
They do balance extremely well, action is smooth, accuracy and trigger are great and I really don't see much if any POI shift as the barrel heats up on them. It has been my go to when people ask for a new rifle recommendation.

It was love at first handling on my end, I purchased the 30-06 within 20 minutes of handling. I almost always bring one of the 100s to the range, and they have been a great hit with new / newer shooters. The straight buttstock and grip angle seem to mitigate recoil.

The 9.3x62 is a great round; you should thoroughly enjoy the rifle and the round. Let us know how she shoots!

Not pushing and I don't know S&H charges but the following companies have the mags in stock.

Buds is the cheapest I've seen - https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_inf ... gazine+270

Whole Sale Hunter has flat S&H - https://www.wholesalehunter.com/Product ... 07630?fs=1

Europtic - https://www.eurooptic.com/Sauer-100-101 ... 10503.aspx
Yes, they do balance very well, especially it being such a big cartridge and huge hole in the barrel.
The trigger is the best I’ve ever seen on any rifle I’ve ever had, too.
What’s not to like about it?
I just ordered an extra Mag from the first vendor you suggested. It was the least out of any I’ve seen the past 2 days.

Thank you for all of your knowledge and sharing of said knowledge. I greatly appreciate it!

Hawk

They are fine rifles aren’t they? Their budget rifle is a world of difference from our American budget rifles. The triggers are fantastic, and the stock is leaps and bounds ahead of most synthetic stocks on factory rifles here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nimrod84":20anwtyv said:

Not saying you are wrong in anyway, but I'd like you to expand on that if possible.

I have a Sauer 101 in 30-06. I took once fired Remington brass that was shot in who knows what rifle........annealed them, sized them in a standard RCBS die, uniformed the primer pockets, deburred the flash holes and shot the best group I've ever shot at 200 yds, first time out with it.

Loaded at 3.325 they were .055 off the lands. No issue chambering or extracting the brass.

Cleveland48":pgcr8tao said:
They are fine rifles aren’t they? Their budget rifle is a world of difference from our American budget rifles. The triggers are fantastic, and the stock is leaps and bounds ahead of most synthetic stocks on factory rifles here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Boy! I always heard that Sauer made excellent stuff!
For it being a “budget” rifle, it sure is very refined.
The trigger out of the box is light years ahead of a lot of our premium rifles here.
I don’t know how they did it, but the stock is absolutely solid.
It doesn’t flex anywhere.
I love the there isn’t any drop in the comb. The butt is rather wide as well, to help dispense with the recoil, too.

Hawk

Yes, it is true the chambers are reamed to CIP standards. Which means it shouldn’t expand the brass as badly as our SAAMI chambers can.
Tighter tolerances are always a good thing.

Hawk

Hawk
Congratulations on the new rifle. The 9.3x62 should give you all the horse power you want. What bullets are you thinking of using?
Looking forward to your range report.

JD338

JD338":33xqxgp6 said:
Hawk
Congratulations on the new rifle. The 9.3x62 should give you all the horse power you want. What bullets are you thinking of using?
Looking forward to your range report.

JD338
I’m thinking, more than likely, the 285 or 286 bread and butter bullets for it.
If I can get ahold of some Barnes, or Nosler AB, 250 grs.

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":3ano25ub said:
Yes, it is true the chambers are reamed to CIP standards. Which means it shouldn’t expand the brass as badly as our SAAMI chambers can.

Hawk

Hawk that would only be relevant if we were using their manufactured brass on the first firing for their chambers.

Past the 1'st firing as long as the neck chamber dimensions are within spec, the slight differences become a moot point. Setting a die to bump .002 headspace on a case fired out of that chamber, is the same no matter what.

ShadeTree":3rzcazdh said:
HAWKEYESATX":3rzcazdh said:

Hawk

Hawk that would only be relevant if we were using their manufactured brass on the first firing for their chambers.

Past the 1'st firing as long as the neck chamber dimensions are within spec, the slight differences become a moot point. Setting a die to bump .002 headspace on a case fired out of that chamber, is the same no matter what.
Yes, I believe you’re right!

Hawk

Finally, after 2 weeks of waiting, I finally got in my rings and bases.

The Sauer 100 Black is all dressed up and ready to go!

I just need to get the ammo components in, and roll my own.

Hawk
f249161588869d54c6d7d28910d30ee8.jpg

e00ae77e0f0a5ad6949f61383b9578fb.jpg

Handsome setup. Looking forward to what you find as you wring it out at the range.

Back