poor/ crappy UPS handling

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
I had ordered 6 boxes of Hot Cor of two calibers and 2 boxes of Interlocks and it came in by UPS yesterday, when I saw the package sitting in my driveway, I was not amused by the sight of it and knew what was coming. The box was tightly wrapped and there was a severe dent on one corner and a hole on the bottom, with layers of UPS red / white tape wrapped around it. I brought it inside and bullets were tinkling on the floor in the living room, then I knew something bad happened, took pics and cut open the box. There was barely any protection , just two popped bubble bags, and 2 folded paper for cushions, cardboard box was so thin as well. Upon taking boxes out, there was bullets rolling around inside and one hard Hot Cor plastic box was open with a smashed corner visible. I opened two boxes of hot Cors and took a handful of bullets out, and the lead tips were smashed sideways, leaning to one side. This isn't the first rodeo when it comes to shipping by UPS, because my last package was a grate for the smoker that i ordered from Traeger was damaged on the first shipment, and Traeger sent 3 more grates which was all damaged as well, the 5th grate came in without a scratch. UPS is not a reliable carrier because of bad crappy handling by their employees.
I called Midway and told them of the issue, and shipped all of the bullets back a few hours later for a complete refund sadly. I was excited to get the bullets for results on jugs and deer season only to be discouraged at the end.

I wouldn't blame UPS. It looks like the problem was the result of Midway's packaging. I see this in my own packages from Midway.

I've been through it a few times recently . I had sent a package by USPS of 2 sleeves of bullets ( 6 boxes ) , one sleeve fell out of the damaged box . I refunded the guys money for the missing
bullets .

output_image1619682788513.jpg

I received a package by UPS that included a bunch of cleaning brushes and a bunch of other little things , along with 10 boxes of bullets . the package arrived with a corner blown out , but everything was there .

P7100136.JPG

I’ve had Midway shipments of bullets that consists of the very dense bullet box clacking around in a big ol’ flat rate box with one sheet of bubble wrap. One time the product busted clear out and I got an empty shipping box. They did replace it without hassle so that was nice.

You’d think being a reloading retailer and all, having been in business for decades they would know how to package. Maybe they need remedial training in the shipping dept. I know there is a lot of labor involved in proper packaging, I guess maybe the bean counters have done the math and determined it’s better for the bottom line to half-arse the pack and hope for the best.

Yeah it's definitely not the carriers, it's the shipping departments of these retailers and they're shoddy packaging. I've had issues with them all shipping heavy items, i.e. bullets, just bouncing around in a large flat rate box. I'm not sure they realize that USPS offers smaller sized flat rate boxes. At any rate at least package the items properly/securely. Gets me all worked up, just ask my wife as she's had to listen to more than one expletive filled tirade about it.
Small personal retailers almost always package items like a brick for me and there are 0 issues.
Huge operations you're lucky to get a single ply sheet of TP in the box with the item and just pray it makes it intact to avoid the hassle of replacement.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I've had similar packaging issues with midway over the years think he worst was one with a brick of 22sa

I agree with the rest ... blame the shipping dept of the dealer you purchased from - careless packaging on their part.

My worst UPS delivery was an empty package where all the contents spilled out before delivery, al I got was an empty package ... hard to imagine no one noticed ??? I was lucky that the vendor replaced the item without question.

Also ... reminds me of a joke at work we'd play on someone waiting for a package from someplace; a box of cigars, a computer item, etc.

Intercept the box before they see it, xerox the shipping label & attach it to a separate box. Fill the box with something from the office about the same weight, seal it all up and then stomp the holy crap out of the box & leave it for them to find.

After he's done with his heart attack, remove his original box from hiding .....

Yep, Midway is also to blame with not packaging correctly and professionally, and used a very thin box. I have gotten better packaged boxes from other smaller companies and single owned businesses.

D21ALASKA":21mihh82 said:
Yeah it's definitely not the carriers, it's the shipping departments of these retailers and they're shoddy packaging. I've had issues with them all shipping heavy items, i.e. bullets, just bouncing around in a large flat rate box. I'm not sure they realize that USPS offers smaller sized flat rate boxes. At any rate at least package the items properly/securely. Gets me all worked up, just ask my wife as she's had to listen to more than one expletive filled tirade about it.
Small personal retailers almost always package items like a brick for me and there are 0 issues.
Huge operations you're lucky to get a single ply sheet of TP in the box with the item and just pray it makes it intact to avoid the hassle of replacement.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Its the hillbillys packing the items that causes most of the problem !

You all got me scared. Have an order from Midway supposed to be here Wednesday. I received Friday bullets ordered from RMR. Shipped in a USPS box wrapped completely with clear tape and no issues whatsoever. All in who does the packing I guess. Fingers crossed. Dan.

My last order from Midway arrived with open containers and loose product in the carton as well. Fortunately no holes so all was recovered but I put the blame on Midway. In their defense covid might have them overwhelmed with employee shortage and they are just trying to get the product out the door in a timely manner, but it’s still disappointing to open a package and see the poor results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I received a package from Midway in great condition. The A team must have packed it....lol

wvbuckbuster":9t7a2b3g said:
You all got me scared. Have an order from Midway supposed to be here Wednesday. I received Friday bullets ordered from RMR. Shipped in a USPS box wrapped completely with clear tape and no issues whatsoever. All in who does the packing I guess. Fingers crossed. Dan.
Well my order come thru ok. Box was a little squashed but nothing broke, ripped or torn. Dan.

Gents,
One memory that hurts and comes to mind was when I successfully won a bid on a beautiful pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H. I requested that the vendor ship it in a hard gun case (that I provided additional funds for having heard my fair share of nightmares of firearms destroyed in shipping) so you can imagine my sadness when it arrived in nothing more than a cardboard box with holes on both ends. The crown was destroyed, as was the heel of the rifle stock that had a newfound one inch crack running through the butt plate and up though the buttstock. As mad as I was for the rifle being destroyed in transit, I was more saddened that after surviving unscathed for so many years the primo rifle that I bid on was now nothing more than an expensive paperweight. I was fortunate that the vendor admitted that his son had packed it hastily and without purchasing the agreed upon hard case, refunding my money in full, but there really aren't that many rifles like that anymore and it was a shame to see a survivor such as that meet its demise through shipping.
V/R,
Joe

EOD Diver":30zanuk5 said:
Gents,
One memory that hurts and comes to mind was when I successfully won a bid on a beautiful pre-64 M70 in 300 H&H. I requested that the vendor ship it in a hard gun case (that I provided additional funds for having heard my fair share of nightmares of firearms destroyed in shipping) so you can imagine my sadness when it arrived in nothing more than a cardboard box with holes on both ends. The crown was destroyed, as was the heel of the rifle stock that had a newfound one inch crack running through the butt plate and up though the buttstock. As mad as I was for the rifle being destroyed in transit, I was more saddened that after surviving unscathed for so many years the primo rifle that I bid on was now nothing more than an expensive paperweight. I was fortunate that the vendor admitted that his son had packed it hastily and without purchasing the agreed upon hard case, refunding my money in full, but there really aren't that many rifles like that anymore and it was a shame to see a survivor such as that meet its demise through shipping.
V/R,
Joe
No respect for the classics.

Back