Primers, primers, primers

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Walked into the local sporting goods store and lucked into a brick of CCI
Small Pistol primers. There wasn’t a lot to choose from when I arrived as they had small rifle and small pistol. Talked with some folks who don’t reload who were buying for buddies who do.
I don’t know how long they were on the shelf and what they’d originally stocked but in the 10 minutes I was there they were all gone.
$41 per thousand is about $14 more than I paid in February 2000.
Will load up some Nosler 115 HPs for the 9mms.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was a good buy Alderman. Might not sound like it compared to 2 yrs ago, but it is.

I found a place this past spring that had a stash from before, that I kept my mouth shut about even locally. Limit of 1 brick per purchase, and spaced out about a month apart. That well has recently dried up.

I wont say how many, but will just say added to what I had, I'm now good for a very long time. I was just after any LR and LR magnum they had. Averaged $47 per brick, but 1 of those was a GM match brick. No big deal 2 yrs ago, currently a really big deal.

That's a real good buy. Last primers I saw were 6.00 per hundred and only sell you 100. A friend passing thru KY told me he saw 209 primers for 20.00 per 100. He didn't buy any. Dan.

I bought out an estate sale of all reloading supplies and equipment. Ended up with a lot of stuff I didn't want or need, but also had a good amount of primers and powders I'm glad to have.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Haven't seen primers or much of any powder around here for a long time. Wish I had bought more when they were available, but I have enough to get me by for several years.

Shotgun powder on the other hand is not going to last me long.

5shot":2at7c9db said:
Haven't seen primers or much of any powder around here for a long time. Wish I had bought more when they were available, but I have enough to get me by for several years.

Shotgun powder on the other hand is not going to last me long.

It's a weird thing here. A lot of shops the powder has been scarce and just trickled in here and there, same as the primers did way back. Everything is in scarce supply.

Then there's other shops that powder and even a decent supply of bullets is pretty daggone good. 8lb jugs and 1 lb bottles of a pretty good selection.

I have enough, but powder and bullets never concerned me, there's places here that I can buy if I needed to. Primers on the other hand? I thought for a bit they were coming around, but so far it still looks like a no go. I'm good, but that doesn't help the rest of the country.

It's a mess currently. There's no way to sugar coat it.

One store near me go a few primers Federal LRP $9.99/100. and just got a little powder. H4831SC was the only one I was even remotely interested in. and it was $45.95/lb so it and the primers both stayed there this time.

BruceP":390mxjo5 said:
One store near me go a few primers Federal LRP $9.99/100. and just got a little powder. H4831SC was the only one I was even remotely interested in. and it was $45.95/lb so it and the primers both stayed there this time.

Crazy isn't it!!?? Shops last spring and summer were saying they were being told it could be as long as next fall until their primers orders start coming in. That seemed ridiculous at the time. Well over a yr later, next fall is now here, and still no primers.

ShadeTree":3uvkxdox said:
BruceP":3uvkxdox said:

Crazy isn't it!!?? Shops last spring and summer were saying they were being told it could be as long as next fall until their primers orders start coming in. That seemed ridiculous at the time. Well over a yr later, next fall is now here, and still no primers.

Yes it has been crazy. I also know that my LGS had trouble getting those products and they have tried to keep prices down when they got something. I know some have been talking advantage of the situation but some like this one have had to pay increased prices themselves just to be able to get some products for their customers. That’s one reason I left those items there. Not just because the prices were higher than before but because I have what I need for now. Others might not have anything.

Bruce

Back