Primers...

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
Imagine if you will...

A world in which ALL primers were diverted to the production of factory ammo...

Personally, I've got quite a bit of powder, and literally thousands of bullets and cases... But primers...

For me they remain in the few thousands... And unlike bullets & cases and powder... I've seen very few primers on the market locally.

I'll applaud Sportsman's Warehouse for keeping the price on primers reasonable - but goodness, what a low inventory!

Hopefully we'll be out of this mess soon.

Regards, Guy

Guy, unfortunately I don't think we will be out of it anytime soon. Just being realistic even though I don't like to say it. Wishing in one hand doesn't change the reality.

Watching the current administrations policies and their affects, my view is it's just going to get worse on a whole lot of fronts until something changes it.

Even leaving that out of it and the mindset it causes in the general population, and instead just focusing on the sporting world itself, indications aren't looking good in the near future.

Yes powder and bullets are more available now than they were overall. But until back orders are filled on ammunition and it's stocked back up nationwide, ammunition manufacture's are gonna get first dibs on available primers.

Like anybody else in this world, I could be wrong. But my forecast is both the price and the availability of primers isn't gonna get better anytime soon. And I'm an optimistic fella about life in general.

I’ve been pounding the pavement and finding a few boxes of primers here and there maybe a couple every couple months.

Seems in can find small pistol or rifle and large pistol, but large rifle and magnum rifle seem to be the hardest…

Loading and shooting less than I’d like.

That said, I’ve probably used 30-40 primers this week.. getting my sons 300 WSM tuned for white tail..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I drove from NY to Conn to get 2 boxes of Federal 210M primers at $110 each, plus tax. Add the cost of gas and tolls and those primers were pretty darn expensive. I never thought I'd see the day that reloading got as expensive as it is today.

I've got to start fishing more. :>)

Fishing and archery... Yuppers...

No primers necessary. This shortage of ammo & components has changed my shooting hobby. I've done a lot more with the 22 rimfire this year, and a lot less with the centerfires.

Guy

I've got a decent supply of primers on hand. More than enough to do load development e practice shooting. Hopefully availability will improve soon for all of us.
On a side note, I've shot less this year but my wife has more than made up for it.

JD338

I see powder, I see bullets....mixed availability on both, but none of it is useable without primers!

There are primers available daily from Mid South, Midway and Powder Valley. Just need to be there at the right time cause they don't last long.

Alabusa":1u8zmy2k said:
There are primers available daily from Mid South, Midway and Powder Valley. Just need to be there at the right time cause they don't last long.

That's interesting. I have email alerts set for midway and I've never received one. I check all of those places almost every day and I've yet to see squat. My timing must stink...

desertcj":py7z3s07 said:
Alabusa":py7z3s07 said:

That's interesting. I have email alerts set for midway and I've never received one. I check all of those places almost every day and I've yet to see squat. My timing must stink...

Get on Discord. They are posted on there almost daily as well as powder, brass and bullets.

Maybe the European producers might help out.
S&B for example.
Your retailers just have to get into contact.

Gesendet von meinem Pixel 3a XL mit Tapatalk

I haven't Ihad much luck catching anything in stock but a few bullets and limited powder. I just can't sit on the computer all day watching reloading sites, I have to sit on the computer all day working! And I'm to the point midway is gouging so bad I'll let it go if they have it.

I was searching online for primers and I actually thought that I hit the jackpot. If it seems too good to be true....it probably is! This place had several types of primers "In stock" but something just seemed fishy. I went to the contact page to check the address and then put it in google maps. Came up as a house in a sub-division....scam. I found two places like this before giving up for the day. Be careful, it appears that there's fresh scum out there popping up. As if that isn't exceedingly apparent.

bob_dobalina":172dz5eu said:
I haven't Ihad much luck catching anything in stock but a few bullets and limited powder. I just can't sit on the computer all day watching reloading sites, I have to sit on the computer all day working! And I'm to the point midway is gouging so bad I'll let it go if they have it.

Gouging is super inflating prices to take advantage of initial panic buying, or where you are locked out of any other choice. Such as a venue inside a building where you are not allowed to bring your own drink in, and then they charge $6 for a bottle of water.

When for over a yr now everyday on gun broker there are auctions ending on primers for $150 and up for 1 brick, Midways prices of $70 is not gouging, it's current market price.

A yr ago low grade gas was $2.25 here. Today it's $3.45. March of last yr I paid $1.45 per gallon for heating oil. A month ago I paid $2.42. Yesterday I checked and it's now $2.95. Went up .50 per gallon in a month. 2 months from now $2.95 could be a bargain.

With liberals running the show, get used to it. I didn't make the rules, just observing them.

Many businesses simply are slowing production due to the market uncertainty caused by the global pandemic.
In addition, many workers changed jobs or quit. Uncertainty equals anxiety. No one wants to sit on inventory.

lhsako":2usnujtn said:
Many businesses simply are slowing production due to the market uncertainty caused by the global pandemic.
In addition, many workers changed jobs or quit. Uncertainty equals anxiety. No one wants to sit on inventory.

If you are talking anything firearm and shooting related, you have got to be joking. At this point with every sporting goods store across the country sitting empty on supplies for the last 9 months, manufacture's could work for 2 yrs without getting caught up.

Every game store is waiting on orders and it gets sold as fast as it trickles in. None of the game stores I stop in at are worried about sitting on inventory. They would buy it by the truck load if they could get it.

Guy Miner":1swvix7v said:
Imagine if you will...

A world in which ALL primers were diverted to the production of factory ammo...

Personally, I've got quite a bit of powder, and literally thousands of bullets and cases... But primers...

For me they remain in the few thousands... And unlike bullets & cases and powder... I've seen very few primers on the market locally.

I'll applaud Sportsman's Warehouse for keeping the price on primers reasonable - but goodness, what a low inventory!

Hopefully we'll be out of this mess soon.

Regards, GuyPer
Sorry Guy but I totally read this in my mind in Rod Serling’s voice. Even your parts about Sportsmans Warehouse etc. We really are trapped in an episode of The Twilight Zone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ShadeTree":2lpc9s6m said:
lhsako":2lpc9s6m said:

If you are talking anything firearm and shooting related, you have got to be joking. At this point with every sporting goods store across the country sitting empty on supplies for the last 9 months, manufacture's could work for 2 yrs without getting caught up.

Every game store is waiting on orders and it gets sold as fast as it trickles in. None of the game stores I stop in at are worried about sitting on inventory. They would buy it by the truck load if they could get it.
I'm talking about the macro view of this shortage situation. Some of the powders we all use come from Europe. the components come from good knows where. Prices are set by the corporations. i.e gouging with fuel prices. Its' big oil charging those prices. Not govt. policy.

lhsako":cwh6q9ur said:
ShadeTree":cwh6q9ur said:
lhsako":cwh6q9ur said:

I'm talking about the macro view of this shortage situation. Some of the powders we all use come from Europe. the components come from good knows where. Prices are set by the corporations. i.e gouging with fuel prices. Its' big oil charging those prices. Not govt. policy.

So are you implying that govt. Policy has no affect on oil prices? I don't see how anyone could possibly believe that...

desertcj":10p85doa said:
lhsako":10p85doa said:
ShadeTree":10p85doa said:
lhsako":10p85doa said:

So are you implying that govt. Policy has no affect on oil prices? I don't see how anyone could possibly believe that...

Apparently some do. Nothing against Ihsako at all, I just don't understand how that reasoning works.

When Obama was President he had 46 months where regular gas was higher than $3.00 per GL. 28 of those months it ranged between $3.50 to $3.90.

Trump comes in office and in the middle of spurring on historic economic growth, we have plenty of gas and oil to supply that growth. National average for regular gas is in the $1's and $2's every month he's in office.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafH ... us_dpg&f=m

During that time the U.S also becomes the largest producer of oil in 2017. Then for the first time in half a century, we export more than we import. Now we are back to importing more oil than what we produce, expecting to import even more next yr, and gas has steadily risen since Biden took office.

https://www.eia.gov/dnav/pet/hist/LeafH ... us_dpg&f=m

Those Democrats have the worst odds. Every time they're in office this countries oil producers get to messing around with production and pricing, and make them look bad.

Back