25-06 WLR Primer Alternative

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
All my 25-06 loads have been worked up with WLR primers. If I can't get those what would be your second choice? Would FED 210s be a good one? Thanks

Any LR primer will serve you. You simply need to work up a load with the new primer to ensure that you achieve similar velocities/accuracy and make any adjustment required.

I accidentally worked up a 3030 load using LRM primers… didn’t seem to cause any problems for me with the powder bullet combo. Figured it out when I went to make a verification load…used 215’s instead of 210’s.

I use mostly federal and CCI.
But these days I’ll use Winchester and REM primers if I can find them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used Federal 210's in my 25-06 loads for years. The 210's worked well with heavy charges of Retumbo. I used the match version of the 210's, not sure that makes any difference.

Regards, Guy

Thanks guys. I did a workup with CCI250s with RL26 one time no problem. I thought someone might suggest magnum primers being WLRs are a hotter primer, but glad to hear FED 210s are a good choice.

I've loaded my 25-06 with almost all of the standard LR primers over the years, CCI and Win mostly.
Federal's are the primers I like the least, they work fine, but its just because the packaging is soo much bigger then any of the others. I've got 3 bricks and they take up as much or more space than 10 of anything else.

That's true! Always looks like I have more primers than I really do, because of the big boxes of Federals! :grin:

Just remember CCI 200 is the coldest primer you can get out there.

Back