35 Rem got a question

wvbuckbuster

Handloader
Nov 5, 2015
My Preacher was looking for some 35 Rem ammo to use in his Dad's older Rem 760 and was able to help him out. This got me to wondering can you form 35 Rem brass from any other cartridge if need be? I have plenty for the time being and was just wondering. Dan.

Yes, but it's not difficult to find so I'm not sure why you would.
I've seen it made from 308 Win, and own some that I bought.

Dr. Vette":1jw7x7og said:
Yes, but it's not difficult to find so I'm not sure why you would.
I've seen it made from 308 Win, and own some that I bought.
Appreciate your impute. Agree brass has been available just wondered if push comes to shove it could be done. 308 case was what came to mind. Thanks, Dan.

I’ve seen some on Gunbroker reformed from 308. There’s a guy on Marlin Owners that does some modified 336 rifles to run with higher pressure and I think I read that part of that was using reformed 308 brass because it is a bit thicker and does better with the higher pressure. I haven’t had any trouble finding brass or old boxes of core-lokt or Hornady FTX around. Barnes put out a 180gr hollow point specifically for the 35 Rem this year. I picked some up but have not had a chance to work up any loads yet.

Local large mart store had some 35 on the shelf last week. Go figure. Remington, but dont remember what weight. CL

Looks like it can be done if push came to shove, but like has already been stated it can be found in it's original form. Not any more difficult to come up with than a lot of other brass at the moment in my opinion.

I'm wondering if the need to move to 308 brass because of doing better with higher pressure as was mentioned above, is due to the fact it was being run through a lever not originally intended for those pressures.

I can't imagine anybody is running higher pressure in a lever than what I am in a 760, I'm seeing no issues so far with brass. Primer pockets or otherwise.

Just to satisfy my curiosity I started a piece of 308 brass into a 35rem die far enough to see that it would require prior steps to begin forming brass. At this point in time for me it isn't worth the time or effort. You don't know if you don't ask questions or try what info your given. Dan.

Back