Another 35 Remington Question, Loads for Semi Auto Rem 81?

clearwater

Handloader
Feb 5, 2005
Friend inherited a Rem Model 81 semi auto.

Are there limitations as to the loads and bullets needed to function in this form of semi?

Can Spitzers, Cast or Pistol bullets work?

Limitations on powder speed like a Garand or AR?

I assume full sizing is a good idea. Anything else?

Yes on the spitzers because it's a top loading magazine. Although there isn't much options for pointed bullets in 35 Remington due to it's short case and short overall length. Some say the old 150 gr 35 remington core lokt spitzer was a good bullet, but haven't seen those in forever.

Proper powder burn rate for that old semi-auto? Don't know. I would think H4895 would be fast enough burning rate, but you will have to keep your pressures down regardless of what you use.

Cool old rifles. Another impressive engineering feat of John Browning. I wouldn't turn a good one down in 300 Savage.

The Hornady 180 gr SSPT was a good 35 bullet for deer but was discontinued some time ago. A spitzer shaped bullet. Dan.

I have a bunch of .358 powder coated cast bullets, 158 grain I might reload for him for plinkers

lee manual lists 28 grains of reloder 7 get 2200 fps at 29800 cup for this weight cast bullet.

no starting load mentioned.

This is a touch higher velocity than factory full power deer loads and might be a bit too fast and higher pressure than desired to prevent leading.

If I dropped the charge by 10% it might put it in the ballpark for not leading and being still usable for the sights (no scope).

What do you think?

clearwater":rlobeb3o said:
I have a bunch of .358 powder coated cast bullets, 158 grain I might reload for him for plinkers

lee manual lists 28 grains of reloder 7 get 2200 fps at 29800 cup for this weight cast bullet.

no starting load mentioned.

This is a touch higher velocity than factory full power deer loads and might be a bit too fast and higher pressure than desired to prevent leading.

If I dropped the charge by 10% it might put it in the ballpark for not leading and being still usable for the sights (no scope).

What do you think?
I worked up a load using 30grs of RL7 and a 158gr JHP in my REM 760 35. Gave groups of about 5/8 in at 50yds. Was trying for a light load for my grandson to use. Recoil wasn't much but never tried it out on deer. Did a jug test at that distance thru a 1in pine board with 3 one gal jugs of water behind it. Made it into the 3 jug and flat as a pancake. I think it would be alright for deer at under 100yds. Dan.

I think I would avoid cast bullets. That is not an easy rifle to strip and if the gas system gets fouled that could be a PITA.

Shoot jacketed bullets and starting loads from any legit manual. let us know how you do.

Back