NEW 35 WHELEN PROJECT

HAWKEYESATX

Handloader
Aug 15, 2016
Howdy all!

Seeing as I’m having a ton of problems with my last .35 Whelen project, I’ve decided on going with a different .35 Whelen project, since the other one is on hold until I can figure something out.

The new project involves a large ring banner Mauser action, coupled with a Green Mountain 24 inch 4140 molybdenum barrel, 1 in 14 inch twist, in the white. It has a beautiful walnut stock, with a black forend top with steel furniture in the white.
It has a double set trigger system, and should be a really nice rifle when I get it done.

Hawk

0c573d9276c35e780a93e923836f7832.jpg

8a056ea5454620d654dc8c8b91a61510.jpg

d137be05eb4a031243f2f51c001073a0.jpg

04815c23a8ba758a0047a4ca944a7ed7.jpg

41061afb0cc1889149f31a4325e30a28.jpg

0930bb02e2252a243ef5e9b76d4db2b8.jpg

8131b0e37676bbc764f720820dc6f601.jpg

That should be quite a nice rifle when it is finished. It is certainly starting with a great deal of potential to be quite handsome.

DrMike":3t4ebmjh said:
That should be quite a nice rifle when it is finished. It is certainly starting with a great deal of potential to be quite handsome.
Thank you DrMike!
I was thinking along the same lines as you are!

Hawk

Any tips on stock finish that are durable, and possibly water resistant, or water proof?

What about blueing suggestions?

Hawk

If you like oil type finishes Wahkon Bay Tru-Coat does a good job. Have used it on a few muzzle loaders stocks. One bottle goes a long way. Dan.

Rednek rampager":p0uq3pxe said:
That’s going to be a sexy beast when it’s done.

How’s that grip cap looking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thank you! I think so too!

I haven’t got the rifle yet, so I can let you know about it when it’s in!

Hawk

Hawk,
Great looking rifle and a fun project for sure.
I'm thinking Beauty and the Beast.

JD338

JD338":hbj0i3z8 said:
Hawk,
Great looking rifle and a fun project for sure.
I'm thinking Beauty and the Beast.

JD338
Thank you!

You are absolutely right!! LOL

HAWK

Those mausers can be good old rifles Hawk. Hope that is one for you. Should be a good looking stock when finished up.

I must of missed any posts you made on your Savage project. What problems did you run into?

ShadeTree":3kjwpert said:
Those mausers can be good old rifles Hawk. Hope that is one for you. Should be a good looking stock when finished up.

I must of missed any posts you made on your Savage project. What problems did you run into?
The person before me red lok-tited the base screws to the receiver, and they tried to take them off, but instead stripped the hex screws, so now they’re nice little round holes.
Not to mention they jerry-rigged a Leupold rear base screw with its head broken off, and red lok-tited it in, so it’s stripped and I’m not able to screw it out. Not even budging. Neither are the other base screws, without stripping them.
So that’s where I’m stuck right now with that one.

I am of the same mind about the Mauser project Gun!
Thank you for your compliment!

Hawk

HAWKEYESATX":1wdqlzom said:
ShadeTree":1wdqlzom said:

The person before me red lok-tited the base screws to the receiver, and they tried to take them off, but instead stripped the hex screws, so now they’re nice little round holes.
Not to mention they jerry-rigged a Leupold rear base screw with its head broken off, and red lok-tited it in, so it’s stripped and I’m not able to screw it out. Not even budging. Neither are the other base screws, without stripping them.
So that’s where I’m stuck right now with that one.

I am of the same mind about the Mauser project Gun!
Thank you for your compliment!
Hawk

Oh geeze. That red locktite is some bad news on rifles. People apparently do not bother to read the bottle that clearly says heat is required for dissasembly. I do use locktite on base screws, but a dab of BLUE, not red.

You're far enough into that project and not far from being finished and up and running, I wouldn't let that stop me. If you have any decent smith in your area they can easily drill those out, and enlarge the base hole screws to 8-40 TPI instead of the 6-48. My local smith would do that for $50.

Hawk if you have a set of torx bits get 1 that you have to drive into the screw. Done it many times with stripped allen head bolts.

Back