What has happened to Speer?

grry10

Handloader
Dec 7, 2007
I'm seeing some product coming out of the other bullet manufactures but almost nothing from Speer. What has happened to them? I emailed their sales and they don't reply and suppliers will not take backorders. I've used their 120 grain SBT in my 257 Ackley Improved but have run out and am going to have to consider using another manufacturer. I have several other rifles that like speer bullets as well but may need to switch.

I've been wondering the same thing. I picked up some .224 and 45 colt bullets online this past summer but haven't seen the 150 gold dot bullets I've been using for 300 blackout in 2 years.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

In 30 caliber they were some of the first showing up on the scene back when everything was unavailable. Since then they are still the most frequently available that shows up on Midway, in 30 caliber.

A week ago or so among other bullets they had 150 HC and SPBT, 165 SPBT, 180 SPBT, and 200 HC. But in every other caliber they seem to be MIA since this whole thing got serious. I did pick up 4 boxes of 257 100 gr HC a couple months back off Midway.

I have not seen the Speer 350 grain mag tip in 1-2 years. Which sucks cause the are my favorite whitetail bullets in my 416’s. I did see midway had some Speer bullets in stock the other day. I don’t know which calibers they had though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland48":3cpz8bo7 said:
I have not seen the Speer 350 grain mag tip in 1-2 years. Which sucks cause the are my favorite whitetail bullets in my 416’s. I did see midway had some Speer bullets in stock the other day. I don’t know which calibers they had though.

I checked Midway and no stock no backorder for the .416 cal 350 gr Mag Tip.
I sure wish Nosler would offer a .416 cal 350 gr AB. It would be an awesome bullet.

JD338

JD338":yo76j5bl said:
Cleveland48":yo76j5bl said:

I checked Midway and no stock no backorder for the .416 cal 350 gr Mag Tip.
I sure wish Nosler would offer a .416 cal 350 gr AB. It would be an awesome bullet.

JD338
A 350 AB would be amazing for sure.

I too would like to see a .416 350 gr AB!
Would be a winner in my 416 Taylor!

Blkram":2rbbns1u said:
I too would like to see a .416 350 gr AB!
Would be a winner in my 416 Taylor!
Yes it would! I really like the 350 weight class in my Taylor. Heck it’s my favorite weight in my 416 rem also lol. I’m really liking the woodleigh 340 PP right now. Unfortunately on the Africa forums they said woodleigh factory burned down, and they are not planning on rebuilding. Seems like every time I find something I like it just disappears.

I haven't seen many but there were a few online at a couple of sites a few months back and I got 3 boxes of 100 grain .257 caliber.
What I haven't hardly seen any of are Sierra's

Bruce

I've been seeing some SPEER show up lately. What I haven't seen in 2 years is Sierra hunting bullets. Lots of match bullets but no hunting.

Speer are owned by Federal and they seem to be making factory ammo like it's going out of style.

I think I remember the CEO of Federal saying that are prioritising factory ammo rather than components.

(I also like the 120gr SPBT in my 257 Roberts at +P loads)

Scrummy

Back