E.R SHAW Rifle Barrels

Rem Jim

Handloader
Jan 7, 2012
Hi anyone have any experience with E.R. SHAW rifle barrels ? Good or Bad i would like to here about it ! Thks :grin:

Cheers RJ

There are better ones out there.

I have not been overly impressed.

Maybe the older ones are better, but I've had one in .280 for close to twenty years and have absolutely no complaints. I would not hesitate to get another.

McGowan has also been mentioned in the "affordable" conversations including ER Shaw. Maybe take a look at those.

Jim
My Whelen sports a shaw barrel, 1 1/4 inch groups with no load development. I can,t complain.

I have a ER Shaw 24" barrel on my 280 Rem. It might be a heavy sporter contour, but I'm not positive. The barrel was installed by the best gunsmith I know. (Who really takes their rifles to a gunsmith they know is not a good one?) Before I had fired 10 rounds through that barrel it had produced two sub-1" groups at 100 yards with my handloads.

I'm having a 22-250 rebarreled with an ER Shaw 1:8 twist barrel by the same gunsmith who did the 280 Rem. I will use Shaw's barrels for any project I can.

Horsethief":uc8ou8yk said:
I have a ER Shaw 24" barrel on my 280 Rem. It might be a heavy sporter contour, but I'm not positive. The barrel was installed by the best gunsmith I know. (Who really takes their rifles to a gunsmith they know is not a good one?) Before I had fired 10 rounds through that barrel it had produced two sub-1" groups at 100 yards with my handloads.

I'm having a 22-250 rebarreled with an ER Shaw 1:8 twist barrel by the same gunsmith who did the 280 Rem. I will use Shaw's barrels for any project I can.

Good info - Glad yur happy ! Be sure to update us to how your 22-250 turns out and shoots too Please ! :grin: RJ

My buddy had Shaw build him a 260 rem on a 700 action.
The best he can do with it after months of trying is 1" with his best handloads. I can probably do better with a Remington and definitely with a savage barrel

FOTIS":3jjguhd5 said:
My buddy had Shaw build him a 260 rem on a 700 action.
The best he can do with it after months of trying is 1" with his best handloads. I can probably do better with a Remington and definitely with a savage barrel

How do you know its the BARREL's fault :shock: the accuracy is not up to snuff ? :?: Just wondering ! :) RJ

Is it really worth saving 100.00 for just ok accuracy. Buy one of the top shelf barrels and 1/2MOA or better accuracy is the norm rather than getting lucky.

IdahoCTD":277nu6tr said:
Is it really worth saving 100.00 for just ok accuracy. Buy one of the top shelf barrels and 1/2MOA or better accuracy is the norm rather than getting lucky.

BINGO :mrgreen:

Take a look at Hart, they make a very good barrel.

JD338

Fotis - you are real SOUR on the ER SHAW barrels ! Have you a any practical experience with them Please ? Thks RJ

Here is the problem with cheaper/lower grade barrels.....if your ok with 1" accuracy most will do it. Some will even come close to one of the better manufacturers but the dud count on the low end manufacturers is fairly high too. I've used many of the lower end companies and for the most part you get what you pay for. Like I said earlier.....spend the extra 100.00 for the top shelf barrels especially if it's going to be your only custom. I'd rather save my money for another few months and use the best I can afford when it comes to barrels. Probably 95+% of a guns accuracy is in the barrel. I've used well over 100 custom barrels on rifles (Green Mountain, Douglas, Hart, Shilen, Pac-Nor, Lilja, Schneider, K&P, Brux, Bartlein, Kreiger, and McGowen are the ones I can think of and I also have a Lawton, Rock Creek, and Obermeyer in my safe) so I have a little experience when it comes to them.

Rem Jim":1w9fca8k said:
Fotis - you are real SOUR on the ER SHAW barrels ! Have you a any practical experience with them Please ? Thks RJ

No sir. Just what I experienced second hand with my buddy's 260. I was just not impressed.

Love my shilens Lilja and Kriegers though.

FOTIS":3341cujc said:
Rem Jim":3341cujc said:

No sir. Just what I experienced second hand with my buddy's 260. I was just not impressed.

Love my shilens Lilja and Kriegers though.

But that could be just that :!: barrel :cry: - i am sure over the years Lilja & Krieger have had a few DUDS too ! :wink: LOL RJ

Bartlein, krieger, lilja, benchmark have all shot well for me, I like the bartleins the best. Remember you still pay the same amount to have a barrel installed, whether it be a turd or a good one. I dont make enough money to cut corners, thats a rich mans game.

This is one of those areas where you're not going to be able to improve your situation without major cash outlay, if you're dissatisfied. Bearing that in mind, I'd move up the quality and price ladder a bit and go with something from a manufacturer with a better reputation. If I don't miss my guess, Idaho is right in that you're talking $100. For frame of reference, that's about 15% of the total cost of getting a barrel on an action, if you consider the whole thing will cost about $600 installed, finished to match, and ready to rock. I'd pay 15% more for better quality, for sure. This is kind of like the decision to option in the bigger V8 in your new pickup, rather than the base model engine. If you expect to use the truck for work and towing, there's no cheap way to upgrade that base motor later on. You're stuck with the basic parts you have, and have to attempt to maximize those. It's not like even a stock or scope, which can be swapped and sold or traded easily enough. Barrels are a major commitment for most folks, so just go ahead and commit to the best you can afford. If that's ER Shaw, then so be it, but there are enough stories out there about accuracy to tell me it's not "something other than the barrel" all the time. And more often than with other barrel makers, you run the risk of getting a dud, it appears. If it were me, and I was looking for a bargain, I'd strongly consider calling the various barrel makers and seeing what they have on the shelf that is a cancelled order or overrun or some such. Often you can get a good discount on those.

Mostly I've used Krieger. Very happy with those cut-rifled barrels. Accuracy seems to last a long time, and to fade very gradually.

Also had excellent results from one Hart.

The new .375 has a Douglas barrel. Haven't formed an opinion about it yet.

Never shot an E.R. Shaw barrel, so I have nothing of importance to say about them.

Guy

I have had 2 actions rebarreled by Shaw years back. One is a 35 Whelan and the other a 257 Roberts AI. At the time I did it, rebarrelling was inexpensive. They did a decent job (but not great). Now their prices are so close to other barrel makers that I would spend more money for a better barrel. It all depends what you expect. My Whelan will shoot sub minute of angle with 250 gr spire points. The 257 not as good.

Back