Danner Hunting Boots

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Does any one here wear these boots and what are your thoughts. I'm looking for a new pair of boots but don't want to pay an arm and a leg for them. Saw a pair with Gore Tex at Bass Pro for $160.

I have a pair of the Danner Trophy which is still made here in the USA as are the other top of the line boots they make. I really like them.

wayno945":1v9lezer said:
Go to their website today. Bought 2 pair yesterday for 60% off.
Which style did you get ? I was looking at the Ridge Runners.

I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunter boots with 600 grams Insulation and love them.

JD338

My current boots are Danner Pronghorns, 1000 gram Thinsulate....they replaced a pair of Rocky Arctic Bear Claws (1400 gram Thinsulate).

The Danners are only on their 3rd season, but I like them, WAAAAAAAAY more comfy than the Rockys, lighter too.

I use still have the Rockys...about 7 years old now I think...and still uncomfortable, but they are warm and dry...I use them for work, they do fine of for that (loading/unloading combines in ND in January)

I haven't worn anything but their hiking boots, I am on my second pair of Danner Light II 6" boots, need to send mine somewhere to get resoled.

I really like the boots, a bit heavier than my Asolo or newest Keen pair but also with them being leather a lot more ankle support and a stiffer sole

Was looking at their web site and would like a pair of leather 8" boots for ankle support to help the left ankle I broke so I can't decide which style would be best.

I have Danner Pronghorns - Good Boot for the price got them from Cabelas ! :) RJ

I'm on my (I think) fourth pair of Pronghorns. They last a lot longer if you are not busting through nasty brush day in and day out! I was getting eight months out of a pair in SoCal, my newest pair is coming up on a year and are doing fine, though I need to get new orthotics... I shouldn't expect them to live under my 330ish pound weight for more than a couple of years...

The thing about the Pronghorns, and any other boot Danner makes with a moulded sole, is once you wear out the soles, the boot is toast. I tried to get mine resoled, and they told me it would be cheaper to buy new ones.

The new Pronghorn has a newer tread pattern. The older one was okay for open country hunting but not the best for the steep wet ground in Western Oregon. My favorite Danners have the Bob sole and grip well when going up and down hill.
I recently did buy my second pair of Pronghorns though. Old tread pattern on sale for $100.

Which style of Prong Horns do you like best the all leather or nylon and leather combo and why.
I'm leaning toward the all Leather style.

RR, I can understand your thoughts on the Nylon since it won't bruise the way Leather will and resit cutting better. How do they support your ankles?

Being we do not get much moisture in my area I would probably just go with Leather and camo as I like to have a winter and an all weather boot as I just buy the all weather a little large were I can sock up if it gets too cold! Now for a Northern boot I would go leather and do 8" in both but I would try one with some thinsulate for sure! I think the Pronghorn just looks comfy and I am not much into wearing boots after 20 years of going to Podiatrist to get Military boots to fit my stupid feet! I wear a EEEE width? Guess it was from all those trips to Wabasekia Skatters when I was a youngster !! aka Bayou Meto !!

The ridge runners did not hold up for us hunting chukar in Hells Canyon and the Steens. I barely got through the season, but on less challenging ground they were very comfortable. I've gone back to the Pronghorn uninsulated for my light boots.

Back