Ruger Hawkeye All Weather

Alderman

Handloader
Apr 5, 2014
Received the 243 model Hawkeye and mounted a Leupold. VX-ll 3-9 scope.
Trigger was a bit stiff but okay for a hunting rifle. No creep at all. I was pleasantly surprised as I've heard mixed reviews on this new trigger from Ruger.
I suppose controlled feed is a plus but with or without has never been an issue for me. Not much dangerous game around here.
Put 4 of six test groups at an 1" or under, the best being 1/2" with Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tips. (See Reloading forum)
I bought this rifle because I was very happy with the 280 I bought a couple years ago and I think this one is a winner as well.

Sounds and looks as if you scored well with that rifle. On the whole, I have three Hawkeye rifles, and they are decent, reasonably priced rifles.

Certainly outshoots my 243 Ruger 1 1 /2 " most of the time. Great for normal hunting , but not a tack driver!

My Hawkeye all weather in 338 will shoot 3 under an inch with my handloads. I've got the trigger slicked up well. Nice rifle in my opinion. Good purchase!

Alderman":2uv5iex5 said:
Received the 243 model Hawkeye and mounted a Leupold. VX-ll 3-9 scope.
Trigger was a bit stiff but okay for a hunting rifle. No creep at all. I was pleasantly surprised as I've heard mixed reviews on this new trigger from Ruger.
I suppose controlled feed is a plus but with or without has never been an issue for me. Not much dangerous game around here.
Put 4 of six test groups at an 1" or under, the best being 1/2" with Nosler 95 grain Ballistic Tips. (See Reloading forum)
I bought this rifle because I was very happy with the 280 I bought a couple years ago and I think this one is a winner as well.
I was wondering how you and this rifle was getting along.
I picked one up in 338Wm last year and someone had put a Timney replacement trigger in it which works really well after I polished a few surfaces with a extra fine stone.
The factory stock wasn't up to handling the torque of the 338 so I put it in a good after market stock that tamed it down.

I think the Ruger Hawkeye is a nice rifle. My son has a MKII which we had a laminate stock put on after it was pillar and glass bedded. It shoots very well.

Was considering a new purchase of a Hawkeye myself. I have what some may consider an older Ruger,,,it's a M77 MKII chambered in .308 Win, made in early 90's. It has been my go to deer hunting rifle for many years. I have not adjusted the scope in the last 17 to 18 years! I probably should have removed it and cleaned the bases etc....but each year, I pull it out,,,,throw some reloads downwind and they somehow hit where I was aiming. So I just haven't messed with it other than the normal cleaning. I really like the Ruger rifles. At my age, I am partial to the beautiful walnut stocks that so many of the rifles of my day had, but to each his own. I have to admit that I have some laminated and synthetic stock rifles too.

I have a few Rugers (a Hawkeye (walnut) chambered in .358 Win, another (also walnut) chambered in 35 Whelen and a third (well, what do you know? walnut) chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor. The .358 Win is amazingly accurate, and the other two are no slouches in the accuracy department. They are certainly well-built rifles that perform well. The .308 Win is a great cartridge, without a doubt.

Thank you. My interest is with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I have never been one for long range shooting due to where I live; however, I want to venture into this side of shooting a little. It seems this may be a good choice???
You have a some respectable firearms yourself!

rugerfan":3sy59jgf said:
Was considering a new purchase of a Hawkeye myself. I have what some may consider an older Ruger,,,it's a M77 MKII chambered in .308 Win, made in early 90's. It has been my go to deer hunting rifle for many years. I have not adjusted the scope in the last 17 to 18 years! I probably should have removed it and cleaned the bases etc....but each year, I pull it out,,,,throw some reloads downwind and they somehow hit where I was aiming. So I just haven't messed with it other than the normal cleaning. I really like the Ruger rifles. At my age, I am partial to the beautiful walnut stocks that so many of the rifles of my day had, but to each his own. I have to admit that I have some laminated and synthetic stock rifles too.

Just proves the old saying..."If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Back