MagnetoSpeed

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
My new MagnetoSpeed showed up Friday(have an insider that works for them :grin: ) and what a better way to test it out than get out and do it! Finally got some shooting in on Saturday with the .264, new .308, and my oldest .280. I've never used another chrono, so I don't have anything to compare it to, but man was this thing EASY to set up and use. What took the longest was getting all the spacers correct so you have the proper distance between the bottom of your bore and the sensor. (5 min) and strap it on and shoot! That's it! No real learning curve at all. Seems to be very very accurate and can store all of your information. And boy was I please with the speeds from the .264!!! I was shooting 140AB in the .264, 168 Sierra Matchkings in the .308, and 140TSX factory ammo in the .280. The .280 was a little anemic, but I expected that out of factory ammo. So here are some pics!
46B388D7-334D-4DD2-B06A-AFB35314F6E5.jpg

39F102BC-0F39-4634-9D1E-C551ECA46608.jpg

.264 warm Barrel
AD72D5CB-28B4-4D2C-9A94-69A17D988B01.jpg

037CFBEB-E0C1-4B7C-8DF4-CEEF60441F9A.jpg

BAB26BCA-CF32-4D31-A2C6-1077803760BC.jpg

166BA9F8-453A-4606-9CDA-5B8EB4E3DC60.jpg

272D0679-9D80-44CC-A7F7-1301639F8967.jpg

9CB1C2A2-8B96-4B1E-89F5-433CC5F79244.jpg

All in all. I'm very impressed so far at the ease of use and accuracy. Hopefully can get more time behind the thing in the near future.

That's going to be my next purchase.
It looks to be of good quality and dependable. Thank you for the hands on review.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

A buddy of mine has it and we used the crony the subsonic losds Dr. Mike gave me. Cool stuff. I like it a lot. Thanks again for the loads mike.
russ

Had anyone done a comparison between this and a traditional chronograph?
I'm wondering how different the reasons would be assuming a purposely set up chronograph.

I have seen several reports on the MagnetoSpeed contra a more traditional chronograph. Velocities appear to be quite accurate. I am not convinced that there is no significant effect on barrel harmonics (and hence, accuracy). However, some have suggested that velocities can be measured separately from accuracy, which would obviate any arguments against. As Mike reports, the simplicity of setup is a major factor in making this system desirable. Also, with the MagnetoSpeed, there will be no need to adjust for velocities because of the distance from the muzzle. In all, it appears to be a valuable addition to the kit of the serious hand loader.

I"m far from serious at this juncture Doc, but I hope to get there sooner than later! :grin:

Yeah, but I'd say if an individual wasn't already invested in a system for measuring velocities, this would be a setup that should receive serious consideration. Were I setting up, I'd do as I said, looking at accuracy and velocities as separate points of data acquisition. The big advantage would be the opportunity to shoot more. The potential cost would be more components expended, which isn't a serious problem for me.

Mike:

Does it mess with the harmonics at all? This is what I am afraid of. I want to clock speed and test accuracy at the same time.

Fotis, those groups were shot with the device attached. It sure didn't mess with much in my case.

FOTIS":xdn0h6fz said:
Mike:

Does it mess with the harmonics at all? This is what I am afraid of. I want to clock speed and test accuracy at the same time.
Not Mike, but I'll share what little I've learned on this issue.

The reviews I've read have been mixed regarding messing with the harmonics of the barrel. That leaves me inclined to think it does but if it doesn't you're no worse off.

Vince

That is what I figured. My "braked" rifles do shoot different with the brakes on/off

FOTIS":2jmqbqox said:
Mike:

I have one, I love it. On thinner barrels it will definitely affect POI. On my varmint barrels it isn't detectable.

Setting up a conventional chronograph at most of our ranges is a no-no, the magneto speed makes it possible.

I just shoot a few more shots of my preferred recipe to get my data. I figure I don't need velocity data if the group isn't a keeper.

rodell":2krdq5vz said:
FOTIS":2krdq5vz said:
Mike:

I have one, I love it. On thinner barrels it will definitely affect POI. On my varmint barrels it isn't detectable.

Setting up a conventional chronograph at most of our ranges is a no-no, the magneto speed makes it possible.

I just shoot a few more shots of my preferred recipe to get my data. I figure I don't need velocity data if the group isn't a keeper.

I found the same when testing last week. My 7mm Rem Sendero didn't move POI at all, but my Vanguard in 270 had its grouping fall apart. Thankfully I was only after velocity data and not accuracy that day. It hit the steel at 360 yards a few days later, so I know it's on.

That is what I thought, sort of like a barrel tuner. I see it as best for velocity only on crowded ranges where setting up a chrony is difficult.
Dr. Vette":1qhov26s said:
rodell":1qhov26s said:
FOTIS":1qhov26s said:
Mike:

I found the same when testing last week. My 7mm Rem Sendero didn't move POI at all, but my Vanguard in 270 had its grouping fall apart. Thankfully I was only after velocity data and not accuracy that day. It hit the steel at 360 yards a few days later, so I know it's on.

I have the 2nd version. Pretty on par with what QL estimates. I'm liking the improvements that I see in the 3rd gen. The 2nd gen's bayonet gets pitted pretty badly. I've resorted to using some JB weld to protect it from wasting away. For that reason (and experienced poi shifts in several rifles) I find an accurate load first and then chronograph it.

Looks like the 3rd gen has a sloped bayonet on the receiving end of the muzzle. .280, do you notice any pitting on yours?

I have had mixed results with POI shift. My accurate .5 moa load for my 22-250 opened up to 3 moa with it attached. However, it didn't even phase my 7mm Rem Mag.

Fotis, if you are in Cheyenne and would like a hands on evaluation, PM me.

Wyo7200":101ybwox said:
I have the 2nd version. Pretty on par with what QL estimates. I'm liking the improvements that I see in the 3rd gen. The 2nd gen's bayonet gets pitted pretty badly. I've resorted to using some JB weld to protect it from wasting away. For that reason (and experienced poi shifts in several rifles) I find an accurate load first and then chronograph it.

Looks like the 3rd gen has a sloped bayonet on the receiving end of the muzzle. .280, do you notice any pitting on yours?

I have pitting in my bayonet as well. I do wonder how long it will last, though it's not like I use it that often. A couple of muzzle brakes probably have not helped.

Back