Hitch mounted game hoists

Ridgerunner665

Handloader
Oct 28, 2008
I have bought one (link below) to help my wife load her deer when she goes hunting by herself...anybody used one of these?

I know lots of people build their own, I could have but by the time I bought the material it was cheaper to buy it...and less time invested too.

My original plan was to build one in the back yard out of 6x6's...but she suggested this, since its portable and can be used in the field to get the deer in the truck...I still plan on making an attachment to the back porch so this one can be mounted there also...I have an old receiver hitch to use for this.

I'll let you guys know how it works in a few months, but I will likely add in some pictures when I get home and maybe give it a test run on lifting something (I'm sure my son will volunteer to be lifted, but he only weighs about 60 lbs., lol)

http://www.amazon.com/Degree-Swivel-Hit ... B006VWVFQ4

Pretty slick, Lynn. I've reached that state of deterioration that such looks mighty attractive to me. Kneeling and squatting to skin and gut my game just isn't what it used to be.

I still get around and up and down OK...but picking up 150-180 lbs worth of deer and throwing in the back of the truck ain't as easy as it used to be...not sure whats up with that but I figured getting a hoist couldn't hurt (y) ...you know, for her :wink:

I'm crippled for a day or two just carrying my gun bags from the truck to the firing line. The knees aren't putting up with much weight. If I were to lift a deer or a black bear into the bed of the truck... Don't even want to think about tossing in a moose or elk. I'd be shouting, "Where's Scotty when I need him!" :mrgreen:

Yeah, the pain hasn't stopped me; but it sure does aggravate me. Mama making snide observations such as, "So, don't go shooting," doesn't help much either. Doggone woman is far too practical. What would I have to complain about if not for the pain. I was always told that pain was weakness leaving the body. I'm not so certain about that anymore. :shock:

As long as it hurts, you know you're still alive.

If it quits hurting it might be time to worry...

Well hopefully we will find one of those two year olds that are not real wise & will be standing on a approach. Then we can gut back up the truck & push him in. Then a real nice skinning pole not real far away!!!
Then a real fast trip to a cooler!!!

Blessings,
Dan

That sounds sorta like my wifes favorite deer blind....its real nice...heated seats, radio, cupholders, V6, 4 wheel drive, room for 2 adults and all their hunting gear.

Kinda takes me down memory lane a bit....looking back at how I had to do it when I was young. Walking from home all the way up into Tuckers Knob or over into "the Damp Holler"....Tuckers Knob was about 2.5 miles (cross country), the damp holler was about 3.5 miles...both were some of the best hunting in Hawkins County, at the time....little known...and hard to get to.

I drug deer that weighed more than me 2-3 miles through those hills...one time I was closer to town than I was to home so I drug the deer to 11w then walked to my uncles house on the Creek Road and got him to haul it back to Grandads for me...another time I came out to 11w and was dragging it down the shoulder of the road, about 2 miles from home...Police Chief came by and loaded it up in the trunk of that old Plymouth cruiser and hauled it home for me....I was a lot tougher then than I am now, and in much better shape (tobacco and hay fields have that effect on you)

Talk about having to do things the hard way....lol...but those were the best of times, back when I could just go hunting with a lot less worry about written permission, verbal was the way at the time and everybody said yes when I asked...I had permission to hunt from Fudges Chapel Road all the way to Surgoinsville Creek Road, and from Holston River to Carters Valley Road...thats probably nearly 10,000 acres, didn't cost me a dime (good thing, because I didn't have a dime)....now getting permission is like pulling teeth....now everybody wants money to let you hunt...I laughed Ted Cope right of the phone a few years back, trying to charge me $52/day to hunt.

The older gents that have known me all that time will still let me hunt...the few that are still alive anyway.

Tuckers Knob is now a damn subdivision...last place on earth I would have ever thought there'd be houses, now its rich folks neighborhood...still deer there, if you don't mind shooting deer in folks front yards.

Boy that was a ramble wasn't it?

Those honey holes still exist, Lynn. We just have to find them. Those were simpler times, though.

I miss times gone by.
While I may miss what once was I look forward to the promise of tomorrow too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Vince":2ma7pkkn said:
I miss times gone by.
While I may miss what once was I look forward to the promise of tomorrow too.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk
Some days I struggle pretty hard to see much promise in tomorrow....but like everybody else, one foot in front of the other.

I'm one of those who are convinced that, for the most part, what is commonly called "progress"...isn't actually movement in the right direction.

Ridgerunner665":270fb6j1 said:
That sounds sorta like my wifes favorite deer blind....its real nice...heated seats, radio, cupholders, V6, 4 wheel drive, room for 2 adults and all their hunting gear.

Kinda takes me down memory lane a bit....looking back at how I had to do it when I was young. Walking from home all the way up into Tuckers Knob or over into "the Damp Holler"....Tuckers Knob was about 2.5 miles (cross country), the damp holler was about 3.5 miles...both were some of the best hunting in Hawkins County, at the time....little known...and hard to get to.

I drug deer that weighed more than me 2-3 miles through those hills...one time I was closer to town than I was to home so I drug the deer to 11w then walked to my uncles house on the Creek Road and got him to haul it back to Grandads for me...another time I came out to 11w and was dragging it down the shoulder of the road, about 2 miles from home...Police Chief came by and loaded it up in the trunk of that old Plymouth cruiser and hauled it home for me....I was a lot tougher then than I am now, and in much better shape (tobacco and hay fields have that effect on you)

Talk about having to do things the hard way....lol...but those were the best of times, back when I could just go hunting with a lot less worry about written permission, verbal was the way at the time and everybody said yes when I asked...I had permission to hunt from Fudges Chapel Road all the way to Surgoinsville Creek Road, and from Holston River to Carters Valley Road...thats probably nearly 10,000 acres, didn't cost me a dime (good thing, because I didn't have a dime)....now getting permission is like pulling teeth....now everybody wants money to let you hunt...I laughed Ted Cope right of the phone a few years back, trying to charge me $52/day to hunt.

The older gents that have known me all that time will still let me hunt...the few that are still alive anyway.

Tuckers Knob is now a damn subdivision...last place on earth I would have ever thought there'd be houses, now its rich folks neighborhood...still deer there, if you don't mind shooting deer in folks front yards.

Boy that was a ramble wasn't it?

I read that and recall my time in TN. It was 1964 and I was 17, pipelining from Stanton, KY to Lebanon, TN. I worked on the crew building the appropriate gas transmission plants. Several of the men invited me to hunt their properties. For a little boy from KS, it sure seemed exotic b/c they had deer and turkey. I do have fond memories of both KY and TN and the generosity of the people I met. As a young man, I was surely treated with kindness in those parts.

This is stimulating me to do a bit of exploration. I just got off the phone discussing a custom build that will handle moose and elk. Wondering why I didn't do this years ago. If everything goes as planned, I may have something assembled by moose season (eighteen days).

The first Elk we harvested was hoisted into the back of my tuck using a come along off the roll bar and a plywood ramp. It worked, but wasn't pretty. Cutting/boning them on the ground has worked much better, but as I get older keeling for a time isn't so much fun.

Please keep us knee challenged folk up to date on how this rig works. I am thinking just getting an Elk in the truck and then to a hanging tree would be ideal for skinning. However, while I get how the hoisting works, what about pivoting the animal into a truck. An Elk is quite big and this would entail a very tall hoist.

Once saw a group of hunters who had three cow elk in a van. Not sure how they got them in but the skinner had a hard time getting them out.

Well the one model here is pretty pricey.
And it is only listed as 300lbs, and does not have the part that sits on the ground.
Big Game Deer Fixed Hitch Mount 300 lb Winch Irrigating Hoist with Lift Gambrel by Rage Powersports
by Rage Powersports
CDN$ 675.12+ CDN$ 5.54 shipping

Back