Firestone Transforce HT tires

Wis65x55

Handloader
Jul 31, 2011
In March I purchased a used 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 pickup. I love the truck, though the tires that the dealer installed are another issue. They installed Firestone Transforce HT tires on it when it came in on a trade. After putting about 6k miles on the vehicle, I honestly have to say that these tires are worthless. My fiancé does not like driving with them, they feel like they are constantly losing traction, in wet conditions they hydroplane easily. As for boat landing conditions, they are the equivalent of bald greased tires. At this point, I need to find a quality set of tires for Wisconsin winter driving conditions. I figure that 99% of the mileage driven will be on pavement.
Keith

I have a Nissan Frontier... It came from the factory with BF Goodrich Long Trail TA tires... They ride quiet and smooth... The traction on pavement is Excellent (wet or dry)... The traction off road is decent.

I'd like to go with a more aggressive tire when the time comes... But I'm reluctant to give up the on road performance of these tires.

My wife drives it far more than I do...

I originally had Goodyear's on my GMC and then I said good riddens too them, I had less than 6,000kms on the truck. I then went to Bridgestone duelers 10/10 ply and they lasted up to a year ago had they had 80 some thousand Kms on them. I believe they are the best all around tire that I have ever used.
I now have placed Cooper SST maxx on it and did not use them last winter with being laid up after my surgery. They are noisier than the duelers but I am mostly deaf so the road noise does not bother me :lol:!
I will be able to give a report later this fall on the Cooper tires.

Blessings,
Dan

I buy my tires at Pep Boys these days.
Look online for a coupon. Last one was buy 3 get 1 free. I've found them to be better, locally, than the warehouse clubs.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have tentatively narrowed my choice down to three tires. They are as follows
BF GOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2, Michelin LTX M/S2, and Michelin LTX A/T2. I have owned two prior sets of Michelin tires which I have been very favorably impressed with. Hoverer I have no knowledge with the A/T2 series or the BF Goodrich tires.
Keith

I've been going through a set of tires a year.
That gets costly. The tires I had didn't have a mileage warranty. My new ones do. Whatever you get I'd advise making sure you get a mileage warranty. My previous tires were great off road but didn't last long. I can lose half my tread on one hill in this country.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Have had several sets of BFG All Terrains - but mine were the earlier design. They've been improved.

Only two faults I found with them:

1. Traction on bad mud & deep snow off-pavement was compromised (as expected by me).

2. Can take a ridiculous amount of weight to balance the tires...

Good points were:

They wear like iron.

Excellent on pavement performance (though perhaps not the best re hydroplaning... there's no where for the water to go from parts of the tread, particularly on wide tire sizes)

Excellent general off-pavement performance. Except in real nasty mud, already noted. That's what mud tires are for.

Reasonably quiet on road.

There ya go. I think highly of them, with a couple of caveats.

Regards, Guy

Wis65x55":2goxm61c said:
I have tentatively narrowed my choice down to three tires. They are as follows
BF GOODRICH ALL-TERRAIN T/A KO2, Michelin LTX M/S2, and Michelin LTX A/T2. I have owned two prior sets of Michelin tires which I have been very favorably impressed with. Hoverer I have no knowledge with the A/T2 series or the BF Goodrich tires.
Keith

I have a set of the K/O2's on my truck currently. So far I like them a ton. They really took the time to try to get them right as a on-off road tire not to soft as to give them a car like ride or something that will chew, I think this set will run me other 20k. I ran a set of the old T/A's which I liked but those only lasted 17k some highway ran a set of Goodyear Duratracs 13k lots of highway a set of LTX A/T2 15k a set of Hancook AT 13k and a set of Cooper AT's all are 10 ply. Now the K/O2's have 5k on them made it through first rotation and have about 1k highway on them. If I get 3k highway miles on a set I was on the highway a lot. I use tires traveling on nasty dirt roads my local tire shop used me as a guinea pig since I run so much dirt.

if you need trailer tires, the firestone transforce seem to hold up very well. I bought a trailer in 2007 used it quite a bit in the summers of 07 & 08, then use it probably 3-4days/week 09-now anywhere from 10-100miles/day and the tread is just now starting to go. i will say they don't look like great truck tires though.

I had a set of cooper STT tires at one point lasted about 18months of heavy use but i've never been able to get close to the 50,000 mile claims out of some of the tires like the ATR's but I may try the Cooper AT3 and just keep up with their prescribed warranty info since they are a 55,000mile tire (claimed)

Sounds like you have your list pretty well sorted out. I might have added the Toyo Open Country AT to your list. I had them on my F150 and couldn't have been happier. I put some cheap tires from Les Schwab on (used to be my girlfriends, but is now mine) an Expedition. I don't likke them very much, they are not very smooth riding on the highway, and seem to flat spot a bit in the morning. But they were ~75% of the cost of another set of Toyos, and I needed them badly. Kinda thinking about replacing them with less than 10k miles on 'em.

I think they are Saiyung Terramax AT. They are adequate for what I have used them for, I just don't like them.

Wis65x55":1038s9ay said:
In March I purchased a used 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TRD SR5 pickup. I love the truck, though the tires that the dealer installed are another issue. ..... I figure that 99% of the mileage driven will be on pavement.
Keith

My Toyota 4x4 wears a set of street tires 10 months out of the year now. I've never been happy with any all terrain tire- They all hydroplaned badly, would lose traction in on wet pavement (or boat ramps) and would fill up with mud off road and not clear.

I when with a winter radial street tire on the factory aluminum rims and found a set of 4 take-off steel rims. Put a set of high side lug super-swampers on these steel rims. Now I just swap out the wheels for hunting season. The ride is very comfortable and quiet on the street and those mud tires are solid in the sloppy slick stuff. Also when I switch between them, it amazed me how poor the really truck rides on the pavement with those aggressive mud tires.

Back