Bedding Compounds

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Not sure this belongs here in the reviews but I'm looking to bed two rifles and with all the new products out there I would like to know what everyone is using and how well they work. In the past I have used Accra Glass and at one time was the only product available.
I know Scotty likes Marine Tex and most of the how to videos talk about Devcon 10110 as being the preferred product.
Which is the easiest to use and work with?

Both are very good... And neither is hard to work with.

Devcon is a considered slightly better than Marine Tex....a little harder and shrinks less.

You'll be well served by either one.

I have used Devcon 10110 many times, and it remains my favorite.

I have tried the epoxy sold by Score-Hi gunsmithing, and while it makes a good bed it is a fair amount runnier than Devcon, and therefore more difficult to use. I would like to try it again with the add-in thickener they offer, but haven't yet.

I have used most of what is out there and like Devcon 10110 but prefer Loctite steel putty 99913. It's a bit thicker and rarely gets any kind of inclusions/voids/etc. I wish I would have taken a picture of the last bedding job I did for a customer to show what the finished product looked like. I'll try to take a picture of the next one I bed and post it.

FOTIS":47gcpi8l said:
Yoda":47gcpi8l said:
I've used jb weld to bed mine, no problems at all..

+1
I'm pillar bedding both rifles and never thought J-B weld would resist the cleaning chemicals and oils we use on guns. It is easier to find locally than Devcon and Marine Tex. I've read where the new organic gun cleaners is really hard on some epoxies.

edit) I'm going with the Devcon since it is the most preferred.

I usually buy Devcon from www.use-enco.com when they have a sale with free shipping.

JB Weld is pretty runny and is harder to keep it where you want it to go. I like the thicker stuff as it seems to produce a nicer finished product.

IdahoCTD":2uywn9zg said:
I usually buy Devcon from http://www.use-enco.com when they have a sale with free shipping.

JB Weld is pretty runny and is harder to keep it where you want it to go. I like the thicker stuff as it seems to produce a nicer finished product.
Thanks for the link, I went with Devcon and ordered it from Amazon since I have prime and get free shipping.

Back