Kodiak Canvas Truck Tent

Vince

Handloader
May 26, 2012
On a recent hunt I didn't relish the idea of sleeping on the ground so I purchased a truck tent made of canvas.

You can get one at Cabela's and they do mail or phone order, or even online, so there is no need to drive to a local Cabela's unless you feel the overwhelming desire.

Ease of set up, I give this a 3/5. It would be higher but it's a bear finding just the right location for the support rails and until you do you will be inventing words that would make a drunken sailor blush.

Windproof, I rate this a 4/5. I was in 25+ MPH gust and occasionally a support beam would fall down. Not all, just one. The dog let me know he didn't like this as he was in the tent one day when it happened. It never happened during the night but when I was away during the day only to come back to camp tired and have to fix the offending pole.

Warmth, I rate this 5/5 and noticed that it was noticeably warmer in the tent than the outside temp of 25 degrees Fahrenheit. The cold air under the truck was blocked by two futon matresses stacked one atop the other.

Weatherproof, again 5/5. I endured two nights of rain with nary a drop inside the tent. Seams are well sealed and even the windows didn't leak!

Portability, 4/5. It's designed to fit multiple vehicles but I wouldn't want to carry it on my back. Please refer to ease of setup as changing vehicles will require different positioning of the support rails.

Overall value 4/5. It's a well thought out design that works well. I wouldn't want it in the Mohave desert in August or Wyoming in January but outside of that it seems to be the answer many of us are seeking.

Cabela's has 'em so get one while you can. I thought it was money well invested if you are willing to leave your vehicle for the duration of the hunt.

Vince

View attachment 1

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1451119957752.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451119957752.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2,214
  • uploadfromtaptalk1451119984839.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1451119984839.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2,214
Looks as if it could be a worthy investment. Thanks for the review, Vince. First hand experience is valuable for all of us.

That's a pretty good shelter, particularly for the price! (y)

A lot of folks I know are going with "Roof Top Tents" which tend to be very well made, robust, and rather expensive. Here's an example of one on my friend's GMC pickup:

This one can be at the height it's shown, or the support frame can be extended to raise it well up above the truck. That provides space for another "room" underneath which can be used for a shower, a restroom, or for cooking, inside and out of the elements.

I'd guess the disadvantage of the "RTT" (aside from the cost, usually well over $1,000) is that when it's up high, on top of a vehicle, a ladder is required to get in and out of it. It also makes a vehicle top-heavy, something to be considered, particularly on off-camber, tough roads. I've avoided putting one on my little Jeep, just because of that!

Good looking setup you got there Vince. I understand the appeal. (y)

Guy

Vince,

When its zipped shut, does the tailgate need to be up? Can a 6' tall person stand-up to get dressed? Can it be set-up on the ground?

It may be of interest,

Jim

Kodiak":2l7tpwke said:
Vince,

When its zipped shut, does the tailgate need to be up? Can a 6' tall person stand-up to get dressed? Can it be set-up on the ground?

It may be of interest,

Jim
Jim,

I'm 5'07" and was able to stand and bend my head when changing my pants but it's not tall enough to stand in.

The tailgate stays down when the tent is set up. As for putting it up on the ground, no. It requires the side rails of the truck to be set up as well as the underside of the truck as that's where the nylon straps attach to take the slack out of the canvas.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

I have a 10 x 14 Kodiac tent. Had it a couple years. Lots of room and sturdy and dry. My has the end windows for summer ventolation.

Kodiac seems to build a good product

Back