Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrels

Blkram

Handloader
Nov 25, 2013
Wondering if anyone on here has one of these barrels and can give me their review and impression.

I was looking forward to my new Browning LH All Weather in 6.5 Creedmoor at Christmas time when received a letter stating that they had discontinued the rifle and I would not be getting my special order.

I have acquired a Remington 700 LH SPS Youth in 243 as a donor action to start my build. (Stock, Barrel, magazine box and floor plate, and trigger assembly will all be replaced on this build)

I have access to another King Barrel, but Corlanes has a Proof Research Carbon Fiber Barrel in 6.5 with a 1 in 8 twist that would be just right for this project...but at $1400 is a little pricy compared to the King barrel (I have 5 King barrels on other custom rifles that will all shoot 1/2 - 1MOA). The bullets that I will use in this to find its pet load will be the 130 and 140 AB's and 140 SGK's.

I was thinking that something a little different this time would be cool. I like the look of the barrel finish, and will not be threading the end of the barrel, just crowning.

Read lots of good articles on their rifles, and of those specifically chambered in 6.5 Creedmoor and liked what I read. Would like to get some other opinions as well.

I've chambered a few of them. IMO they won't out shoot a equal weight steel barrel from the top US companies. The COOL factor sells a lot of barrels for them. I don't know how King compares to a US company but if they only achieve .5-1" groups they'd be pretty low on the rung around here. I just built a 300wsm on a fluted Schneider #4 contour (it's lighter than any proof barrel) and it shoots .25" groups. He went 15 for 15 on a 15" plate at 1000yds with it and gets 3000fps with 215 Bergers using R-26.

I haven't read anything bad about them. When I wear out my 300 RUM which has a Christensen barrel I am going to have a Proof Research barrel installed.

Idaho,

While I can appreciate that 1/4" groups are more interesting than 1/2-1" groups for impressive accuracy, I am happy when I can be consistent with groups this size out of my hunting rifles on a range day or field practice from various shooting positions, with hunting loads regardless of temperature or wind conditions.

I am not as good a rifle shot as many people out there, nor do I go as far in my reloading procedures as many serious hand loaders/competition shooters do. So for me, I am happy and satisfied with this level of consistent performance.

Thanks for your feedback. And good performance with your new 300! Very nice.

G'Day Fella's,

Blkram, I don't have a Proof Research CF barrel but I do have a couple of New Zealand made Hardy Rifle Engineering CF barrels.
DSCN1429.JPG
This one is for a project where I want to build up a lightweight mountain rifle in 6.5mm Rem Mag (1 in 8" twist).

The other CF barrel, is a replacement for my .338 Lap Mag rifle (1 in 10" twist).
So I'm hopeful?

Regards
Homer

Back