Back Pack

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
Just ordered a Alps back pack from MidWay which was on sale for $40. At that price I can't see where I could go wrong since I don't use a pack a lot.

It's the outdoor pursuit model.

The pack arrived today and it looks like a good deal to me but then it's my first pack. There is a lot of storage area and pockets in it and you can also carry your rifle or Bow on it.

Attachments

• KIMG0322.jpg
    KIMG0322.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 1,997
  • KIMG0325.jpg
    KIMG0325.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,997
I don't know anything about that particular model. Hope it serves you well!

Guy

I didn't need one for hunting around home but thought I should get one for my Montana trip and when I saw it on sale at Midway I thought why not since it was only $40 shipped. It has a lot of pockets for easy storage to separate your gear and several storage compartments plus a stock boot that you can use for strapping your rifle to it for easy carry. The waist belt is one of the reasons I bought it since I thought it would help to carry the weight and wouldn't flop around on my back as was my experience with the old military packs I had to use back in the 70's. I could diffidently put more in it than I would want to carry all day.

I've been seeing that brand showing up more lately, but haven't used one personally.

Hope it works well for you!

They design a lot of different products for sportsman from packs to ground blinds. I have yet to see where they are made.
I know absolutely nothing about back packs and only bought this one because of the sale price which was about $100 off retail.

Camofire's been running Alps stuff a lot lately. They usually get their stuff either when a company is trying to make a name or when they're offloading "last year's model."

My guess is you got in on the ground floor, so to speak.

I got a rail hauler with shelf for hauling quarters, from Camofire, made by Slumberjack. I knew they made sleeping bags, but had no idea they made packs. I got it to my door for about $100, and it's built like a friggin' tank. Comfortable and adjustable, too.

It's a great time for such things, I think.....just in general. Seems like hunting gear has just more and more good options each year.

We had a discussion a while back on hunting packs, there are some great products out there.
You will like the belt even though I hope you're not carrying more than about 10 or 12 pounds including water. I have found the the greatest advantage to the chest strap is keeping your shoulder relatively clear or at least consistently obstructed, to shoot with the pack on.
I'm sure I'm being redundant to your plans, practice loading it, shooting with it on, know where stuff is. I'll bet a dollar Guy doesn't have to dump the contents of his pack on the ground looking for spare cartridges. :)
I've seen it done.
Years ago I was sitting on a ridge getting ready for lunch. Power bars had just hit the market. I knew where my important stuff was but had simply thrown my new fangled lunch in my pack. By the time I found it and looked up all I saw of the bull was his butt and ivory tips. As I hustled to repackage my gear and get after him, my dad killed that bull.
Looking forward to your success. Merry Christmas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

salmonchaser":4hmwowzl said:
We had a discussion a while back on hunting packs, there are some great products out there.
You will like the belt even though I hope you're not carrying more than about 10 or 12 pounds including water. I have found the the greatest advantage to the chest strap is keeping your shoulder relatively clear or at least consistently obstructed, to shoot with the pack on.
I'm sure I'm being redundant to your plans, practice loading it, shooting with it on, know where stuff is. I'll bet a dollar Guy doesn't have to dump the contents of his pack on the ground looking for spare cartridges. :)
I've seen it done.
Years ago I was sitting on a ridge getting ready for lunch. Power bars had just hit the market. I knew where my important stuff was but had simply thrown my new fangled lunch in my pack. By the time I found it and looked up all I saw of the bull was his butt and ivory tips. As I hustled to repackage my gear and get after him, my dad killed that bull.
Looking forward to your success. Merry Christmas.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to you also.
As I put it together I'm sure I'll be asking questions as to what everyone carries in theirs.
As far as spare ammo it will be in one or two of the belt pouches so the pack won't have to leave my back. And thanks for the tip about practicing shooting with it on since it's been a while since I had to shoot with a pack on and something Uncle Sam didn't teach when I was in training back in the day.

I was busy with getting ready for Christmas with the family when the pack arrived and really didn't take a whole lot of time looking it over but got it back out today and took some more pictures.
There is a place for a water blatter in the main pouch with a slot for the drinking tube to extend out and a clip on the shoulder harness to secure the drinking tube all sorts of straps and D rings also.
Here's some more pictures of the interior pockets.
The outer pouch flap folds down with supporting straps to act like a table since the flap is semi ridged.
Empty pack weighs 4lbs.

Attachments

• KIMG0335 (2).jpg
    KIMG0335 (2).jpg
    970.2 KB · Views: 1,941
  • KIMG0334 (2).jpg
    KIMG0334 (2).jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,941
  • KIMG0333.jpg
    KIMG0333.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 1,941
All those pockets will help you keep it organized. No fun to cross over to the next ridge to help someone out just because you can't find your lunch:)

Back