Kuiu down jacket

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
This lightweight jacket proved to be far more useful than I anticipated. Before the Alaska trip, I took a look at my boots & clothing and gear in general. A lot of it was getting pretty old and beat up, and just didn't really look like it was good enough for the arctic. So I upgraded quite a few items.

One thing the outfitter recommended was a "puffy jacket" to wear around camp, or while glassing for hours in the cold. I hadn't owned a down jacket in 20 years or more. Looked at a lot of them, and settled on the one my outfitter said he used. It's the "Super Down Jacket" by Kuiu.

Link: http://www.kuiu.com/hunting-jackets-ves ... s#start=11

Price was kinda steep, but I thought I'd take a gamble. Initially I was disappointed. It had nowhere near the loft I remembered from my old down jacket of long ago. Also it fit a little snug, and couldn't be worn over much more than a base layer/long johns/t-shirt.

I shrugged, and put it in my pack. It did compress down easily, and fit right in one unused pocket on my hunting pack. I figured it could just stay there.

Well... my opinion changed once in the Arctic. Every morning when I got out of my warm sleeping bag, the Kuiu down jacket was the first thing I put on! It was so light and warm and comfortable. I'd wear a t-shirt or a long-john top while sleeping, and could instantly add a lot of warmth by putting on the little down shirt.

Shirt? Ya, that's how I started thinking of it. A down shirt. I remember long ago seeing down shirts marketed, but never had one. I ended up wearing it for hours on end while glassing. When temps dipped real low, I'd put a layer of fleece over it, and/or a gore-tex shell. I was surprised at how much I wore the Kuiu down jacket/shirt.

Interestingly, those miracle workers have come up with a way of waterproofing the down itself! That was one of my biggest objections to a down jacket. They lose a LOT of insulating capability when wet. Well... This thing never got wet from rain, sleet, or even my sweat. Stayed dry, warm and comfortable.

Ya, it's expensive, but I am so glad I treated myself to it. I see it going on a lot of my hunting & other backcountry adventures in the future.

Also, Kuiu has just released an even lighter version... Since at 9 ounces this one is so heavy...

Guy

Looks very comfortable. Wasn't familiar with this, but I will have to look into this.

Great review and I've been impressed with the Kuiu gear I've used.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back