Stanley thermos.

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
So it's time to replace my thermos. I bought this in 1974 when I graduated high school. This fall I've noticed the coffee only stays hot for an hour or two, time to replace the old girl.
Haven't ever looked, is there something new and improved out there?IMG_1792.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. I think my Stanley thermos dates from about 1980 and still keeps coffee or cocoa hot all day. I really don't want anything else.

Guy

Mine has had a rough life, run over by a D7 a couple of times, one night I set it on my light bar about 0300. Some knuckle head went by banging on the guard rails. Took off after him, lit him up and he dynamites his breaks. I do the same and my thermos shoots off the light bar like a torpedo. Went through his rear window. Memo to the chief. He was drunk but we still had to buy him a new window.
I need to find a place of honor to display it.

I would say you got your moneys worth out of that one so maybe a new one just like it is in order.

salmonchaser":28wycy20 said:
Mine has had a rough life, run over by a D7 a couple of times, one night I set it on my light bar about 0300. Some knuckle head went by banging on the guard rails. Took off after him, lit him up and he dynamites his breaks. I do the same and my thermos shoots off the light bar like a torpedo. Went through his rear window. Memo to the chief. He was drunk but we still had to buy him a new window.

OUTSTANDING! (y)

I'd give you a medal if I was Chief.

Guy

salmonchaser":1zoyi7y0 said:

Cant think of one single profound or smart @$$ thing to say....You guys have the best stories...Im not sure they are worth the effort, but you cant write stuff like that. Dont worry about the mans baton, look out for his thermos.... CL

One of my favorite things about early morning hunts, be it deer, duck, or turkey, is having a couple cups of coffee just after sunrise. One of my Stanley thermoses always makes the yearly deer stand pic.

salmonchaser":173r5zgc said:
Mine has had a rough life, run over by a D7 ..... He was drunk but we still had to buy him a new window.

I repeated this story for my wife at our 34th wedding Anniversary lunch today, really made her laugh pretty hard. Always a good thing when a woman knows what a D7 is and what happens to a thermos when you jam the breaks. She’s no reloader, and doesn’t do Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest etc, but I think she ready to follow of off topic forum!
Thanks for sharing!

Well congratulations and I consider it an honor to have joined in the celebrations.

We have used them here at the lodge for years and go thru a few every season, guides are pretty rough on them around here, but they are tough. However with that said they will certainly barely hold coffee hot for more than 3 hrs or so............
So the gals in the kitchen always fill them with boiling hot water and let them sit, for 5 mins, before dumping the water out to " preheat" them: Before actually filling them;with piping hot coffee! That certainly extends how long they will keep it hot? Just saying.
Sure sounds like you got your money's worth if it's lasted since "74" !
Same year I graduated, spooky how long ago that was :(

No kidding, I'll hit 62 this year, in 1974 I didn't think there was a chance I'd make 40.

Lol, well if you had known you were going to live this long,
you probably would have taken a lot better care of yourself??? :lol:

Salmonchaser, that certainly was a good tail about the broken window, is there a car camera video on that? I use the Stanley classic for the overnight extra security jobs and it certainly keeps coffee, for sure longer than it should last anyway.

Guy, fyi, the water bottle pouch for the Nimrod pack system appears to have been made for the Yeti Rambler or RTIC 36 oz. bottle, perfect fit.

No dash cam, probably a decade prior to having those.

I retired in 2011, we had dash cams for close to ten years then, the Stanley torpedo was launched in 91 or 92.IMG_1793.JPG
A pic from the early 90s and minutes before I cleaned out my locker. Hard to imagine it's the same guy.

Back