Bore polish

truck driver

Ammo Smith
Mar 11, 2013
In the past after cleaning a rifle bore to what I thought was bare metal I would do a deep cleaning with either Remington's bore cleaner with pumice grit or J-B bore cleaner blue bottle.
Been reading about a few others and would like to hear opinions about different products on the market like ISSO, Montana Extreme bore paste and Flitz. Also any other compounds used to smooth a bore with out drastic measures like fire lapping which I consider a last step before screwing a new barrel on.

I have used JB bore compound on several rifles, I think it helps get stubborn build up out of them but not sure they are any smoother.

I have also used the tubbs final finish impregnated grit bullets. This system has taken fairly rough bores that had a tendency to foul quickly and turn them into very easy to clean barrels. My 300 RUM used to be a real PIA to get clean before using the tubbs system. Now it’s a 1-2 patch squeaky clean gun. It also stays clean longer and shows very little copper fouling.

I’ve been impressed with the results

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have read where some shooters are cleaning the barrel down to bare metal and then leaving a coating of bore paste in the barrel and firing a low pressure load threw the barrel wiping it clean and repeating the process several times till they get the desired smooth finish.

Gee everyone must have perfect bores. Except TheBear_78, Scotty and me.
They suggested the Tubb's system which I think I will give a try and see how it works for me.

Back